Sam Darnold (Main Darnold thread)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jerseyjay14, Sep 30, 2018.

1. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

This is very wrong.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  2. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

The playbook is going to get torn up come next year. This is another fear I have — kid having to learn 50 different playbooks and can’t focus on actually playing.

The most important thing for Darnold this year is seeing and remembering defensive looks as well adapting to the tempo of the game.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  3. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

Sanchez literally had the best offensive line in the NFL in 2009 and 2010. He also had one WR who is better that any skill position player we currently have in 2009 and two in 2010. And yet, he still threw 20 interceptions in his rookie year, despite playing on a team that easily led the NFL in rushing.

Do you see why your commentary is idiotic?

TwoHeadedMonster and TrojanPride like this.
  4. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

I hate to say it but Darnold looks worse then Sanchez...I feel like every pass Darnold is about to throw is going to be incomplete no matter what.I hope he can figure things out because he needs a good game at this point.If he throws for 340 yards with 4tds 0 ints it will silence this stuff for awile

5. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Is it just me...or did Darnold look a little chubby out there?

6. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

He doesn't have nearly as good of an offense as Sanchez had his rookie year. Hard to look good when you're constantly in 2nd/3rd & long situations due to penalties and lack of a running game.

This comparison is ridiculous.

#66 Kris 15, Sep 30, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
  7. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Let's get to the real root of the problem...Bates play calling has been some of the worst I've ever seen in the history of modern football.He isn't developing any kind of rythm with the plays being called.The design is terrible,he needs to scrap the current playbook and start from scratch.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  8. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Way to early to make that comparison. Sanchez had better tools around him. Darnold is running for his life on every pass play. The ground game is also nowhere close to being a QB best friend. Darnold will be much better just as soon as we get rid of the idiot coaching staff. It is beyond amazing that the Jets thought Bowles was an NFL level coach.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

This post is why jets fans can't have nice things...in 2 years you will have a Darnold jersey and waiting in some line at some shoe store waiting to get it signed.

10. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

The real root of the problem, to my eyes at least, is the absolutely horrible line play.

No plays are gonna succeed with the shitty play we're getting out of the OL.

11. TrojanPride

TrojanPride Active Member

Ignorant, or just trolling, for anyone to compare Sam and Mark. Two totally different skill sets, one could make big time plays with a below average Oline, throw with accuracy, even throwing off his back foot. Countless scouts and announcers remarked about these skills during the draft process. The one thing Sam had in college that he doesn't have with the Jets is, WRs that fought for balls, and won almost every throw (JuJu), and Tay (on your practice squad), that ran beautiful routes and had sticky hands. His coaches sucked at USC, and his coaches suck even harder in the NFL.

Mark was never more than a game manager, unable to take over a game when he was needed to, from college all the way to the NFL.

We were shocked the Jets selected Mark in the first round. Mark was surrounded with NFL talent at USC, and a stellar Oline and a HC.

12. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Passing YPG + Interceptions rankings for defenses that the Jets have faced so far.

Detroit - #3 - #21
    Miami - #25 - #1
    Cleveland - #9 - #3
    Jacksonville - #1 - #26

Considering the crappy OL, few weapons, and crappy coaching, can't fault Darnold too much (we'll put aside the Dolphins game). The next three games will be interesting, all teams ranked lower than #16 at home. It will be the biggest tests for Darnold to see if he can at least hang with not so tough passing Ds.

13. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

No. He doesn't. Someone else needs to be brought in who is up to the job. How many iterations would you give a guy who has clearly shown he is not capable?

boozer32 likes this.
  14. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

15. Rivers23

Rivers23 Active Member

Put any QB in the league on this team and he'll look like crap.

16. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Ya, McCown looked absolutely terrible last year, same team.

17. Rivers23

Rivers23 Active Member

Oh weee another 5-11 season, we should kick Darnold, sign Dez Bryant and give all the money to McCown.

17 (?) years in the league, 5 wins, 3 of which were against Browns, Bills and Cutler's Dolphins. One was against KC in week 13. The only win that was worth anything was against the Jags. He sure looked good.

#77 Rivers23, Oct 1, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
  18. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

Just because he was from USC does not make him Sanchez. The Jets went against a very good defense today.

As to the Jets offensive line, I have been critical of it and have taken some heat from folks on this board for it before the season started. The Jets will probably be overhauling their offensive line next year or some folks are going to have to take a salary cut.

As a Patriot fan who is sympathetic and a fan of the Jets also, I am somewhat disappointed with the team. But I am hopeful that Bates will eventually get this offense executing either at the end of the year or next year.

What concerns me the most about the Jets organization is the ability they lack in developing their players. You can have all the 1st round draft picks, ask Cleveland. But if you can't develop your players that means the football brain trust sucks. I hope some of you are wrong and that these coaches will finally develop a winning team. But I fear that some of you may be right here. In the meantime I will say a prayer for the Jets and continue to hope for them.

19. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

This is gonna be a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong season :(

20. Rivers23

Rivers23 Active Member

Just for fun guys, go back and count how many times did Darnold have to escape the pocket because it collapsed nearly instantly. Then watch the highlights and count how many very catchable passes the receivers dropped during crucial plays.