Todd Bowles taking back some defensive playcalling duties

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Sep 25, 2018.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I think Bates would be an unmitigated disaster, as he can't even call plays right, and doesn't call any plays to help Sam get in a rhythm at the start of games. In fairness, some of that could be because Bowles told him to back off and play more conservatively after the Lions game. Bates could open the offense back up, take shots downfield and be more aggressive. Still, I'd rather have Dennison as interim HC. At least he's a respected coach around the league. I doubt it, but Rodgers may prove to be a better DC with Bowles gone. He may be able to make some adjustments and changes that Bowles wouldn't permit.

You know what? I've changed my mind. I hope it (Bowles getting fired mid season) happens. I don't think it could be any worse, and it may prevent Sam from being ruined. I'm sick of Bowles. I'm not a violent person, but he makes me so angry I'd like to smash his face in. I have little respect for him as a HC. He may be a fine position coach or DC, but he is in over his head and sucks as a HC. I'd also like the sign from Chris Johnson that he's not going to tolerate a lack of discipline, sloppiness, and incompetence. That would go a long way to restoring some of my hope in the Jets' future.

#41 NCJetsfan, Sep 25, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  2. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Super bowl for sure

3. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

That wasn't HOF Revis....that was fat Revis

4. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I think that Cleveland game sealed Bowles fate... we not only lost we were embarrassed.

5. jetsknicks1

jetsknicks1 Member

Agreed, it’s only 3 games in but it’s seems clear that the offense needs a lot more work than D. That OL is gonna get The Ginger killed.

Red Menace likes this.
  6. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Changed my opinion.

I went from a supporter of Bowles and defender to now wanting him out of this organization. I gave up with excuses after watching the Cleveland Fuckin Browns come back with a rookie QB and beat us on national TV.

7. jetsknicks1

jetsknicks1 Member

I don’t think it’s 1-15 bad :). We’re starting at least, 1-3 tho. No way the Jags play like they did last week.

Red Menace likes this.
  8. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Why was Rodgers even retained in the offseason?

9. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Well, one good thing about this is that he can't play "pass the buck" if the defense sucks and throw someone else under the bus

10. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

It should be an inferno at this point. He's 11-25 in his past 36 games

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  11. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Bortles is so bad though, if they had a good QB they would be a dangerous team. Guy misses wide open receivers all the time.

He alone will keep Jets in game with constant 3 and outs.

Next four games are tough, maybe a win against Colts or Broncos?

Jags
    Broncos
    Colts
    Vikings

#51 Red Menace, Sep 25, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  12. NCJetsfan

It would be just our luck to go 1-15 and the Lions go 1-15 as well, but they'd get the #1 pick, and only one QB would be worth trading up for, so they'd get multiple picks. At least the best LT or Bosa would make a nice consolation prize.

13. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Only a MORON like Todd Bowles would think of this. Now supposedly Rogers will call the "normal" defense, but Bowles will take over in a hurry up situation? What happens when an opposing team starts out in a normal offense and switches to hurry up after the first play? And then switches back? C'mom Bowles are you really that stupid? You need one person prepared to call the defense whatever the situation. Neither Bowles or Rodgers seem up to it. And does it really matter when your offensive line gets mauled when you have the ball. Get a GM who appreciates the OL position, and a coach who doesn't wear a silly grin loss after loss ("Uh, we'll have to look at the tape on that.").

14. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

That's not going to happen, you can go to the bank on that one. This regime has more class than that. Especially with a rookie 21 yo QB

Red Menace likes this.
  15. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

All of what you said is true, but concerns me even more than that - and has for a long time - is how he hasn't tried to use any different approach to get the most out the players he does have. Why not try a 4-3? Not necessarily now, or during an already begun season where your personnel has been set, but say after 2016 when they could've gotten different personnel to go with a 4-3? But we see the same approach that doesn't yield results, and it seems like he's insisting on jamming square pegs into round holes.

What should be clear - and is apparently becoming clear for more and more people - is that Bowles simply doesn't have the answers for this team, and the longer they stick with him, the longer it will take to right this ship.

NCJetsfan, KurtTheJetsFan and tomdeb like this.
  16. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Did I say anything that wrong? I mean has Bowles not been the coach for 4 years? How much has changed for the better? There are multiple sources saying the same thing and the only people that haven't caught on is the homers. If anyone thinks Bowels is that type of guy that can transform a team like Parcells did, please respond and let us know your reasoning.

tomdeb likes this.
  17. JdotGriff

JdotGriff Well-Known Member

Yes you act like you know that Bowles is preventing OC's from running their offense which is stupid to think. Claiming if some offense guru came in on the offensive side of the ball that Bowles would be like no fuck you its my team you cant do that is stupid. Let's be clear before this year in bowels times this team talent wise has been shit. Now we have some NOT alot but some talent well then it must be Bowles that's holding the team back. Lets be honest here your some fool who thinks they understand how this team works and posts troll threats and replies constantly. The truth is you're some idoit with an internet connection that swears he knows more about football then he does.

And to be honest when i drink my tolerance for idiots on this board grows less and less. The whole blow it up theory does not work unless you have the talent level to win consistently and the HC is actually what's holding the team back.

Is bowels our great and holey savior fuck no. But we are not going to get better putting young talent through constant scheme and verb changing. That's a good way to destroy the limited talent you have.

18. JdotGriff

JdotGriff Well-Known Member

Yeah just cut every linebacker we have and magically find 3 plus depth that are solid in coverage and much faster then what we had like they just grow on tree. I swear to god the stupidity of some of the posts ont his forums is amazing.

ITS NOT FUCKING MADDEN GENUIS YOU CANT JUST SWAP 34 TO 43 LIKE EVERYTHING IS PLUG AND PLAY.

ps runnign a 34 scheme is not the damn issue talent is and no matter what scheme you run talent will always be the issue when you dont have it.

19. Ahh yes.So just make zero adjustments to your scheme when things clearly arent working after 4 years.This is a defense that claims to be “multiple” & targets players that can handle changes to scheme.So umm why are we sticking w a rigid 3-4 scheme that asks th DL to 1 gap in front of undersized LBs who were both high priced hand picked acquisitions by the Regime??

If talent is still an issue than thats 100% on this regime which Includes Bowles who provides input on personnel.These are players picked for HIS system.The only holdovers are Powell,Enunwa & Winters..surprise! 3 of the better players on the whole damned team.

There are items of which Bowlss can be judged that are completely independent of talent.Clock management,situational tactics,in game adjustments,team discipline,composure, poise, preparation..every single one of these aspects have been questioned many times over in Bowles entire time here. How does talent excuse Bowles of properly managing timeouts or not going into a shell protecting leads late in games?

You’re entitled to your opinion but id maybe spare us the juvenile insults based on the arguments presented above.

20. NCJetsfan

You need to STFU and not post when you've been drinking. He didn't say to cut every LB we have, nor would that be necessary. That's your stupid comment. Neither did he say that the change had to happen overnight. As it so happens twice, in the last 4 years, the Jets have had a ton of cap space, and could have easily begun making the transition.

Colorado has shown a hell of a lot more intelligence, football intelligence and civility than you ever have, so you need to back the fuck up.