The Jets are finally a prime destination for a top coach in 2019

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by forevercursed, Sep 22, 2018.

1. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Chuck Pagano would be a fine hire as well. And he really wants to get back into coaching

2. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

THIS Is our dillemma ...a Fanboard that KNOWS MORE than our putz owners

To get things moving in the RIGHT DIRECTION means fans not showing up for games billboards etc

Let's put the Johnsons in the RED instead of paying for seats and buying into their LIES

WInning 5 games games a year triples your investment to 3 billion ???????...what businessman doesn't like THAT

FANS have to wake up to this manipulation and BS OR the JOHNSONS WIN AT THE BAnk and the fans get to hold the bag

None of you guys like him but I'll say it again CHAMP is RIGHT

AND WE ALL get to morph into him eventually:(

Some of you Millenials and Gen xers should reply here...since your generation will be waving the Jet flag when the Namath generation is in football HEAVEN (I hope ahahahah)

boozer32 likes this.
  3. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Bowles was a good coordinator? That's a news to me.

A few questions.

1. Should he come here, does Arians report to Mac, or are they on equal footing? Or do you make Mac report to Bruce?
    2. If Jets do decide to clean up the house, who is the new GM? Would he like Bruce?

I think these two questions should be answered before moving on.

Really. I am highly intrigued by the prospect of having Arians here in NY. If he can bring respectability back to this club, I would be more than "ecstatic." If any HC can take the sorry-ass Cardinals to the SB, he will THRIVE here. Hell, as sorry as we are as the Jets, we are NOT the Cardinals, for Chrissake.

NYJetsO12 and boozer32 like this.
  4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

This is why they should hire a Pres. of FB Ops NOW. He can watch and evaluate Bowles firsthand, as well as the players that Macc has gotten. And it does't preclude keeping one or both, nor does it prevent him from firing one or both now or later. But it DOES enable the Jets to start by creating a blueprint from which to build.

Would Holmgren come out of retirement to take this job? If not him, who else would be a good candidate?

boozer32 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I love Arians and wanted to hire him the year before Bowles was hired. The problem is that he's good friends with Bowles. I don't think there's any way that he would take the job here after Bowles was fired.

6. Aewhistory

Aewhistory Well-Known Member

Don’t undersell yourself. I don’t know who you are, what your qualifications are, or what you’ve done in life—still, I have more confidence in you than in Bowles.

Sorry, I think that came off as a really back handed compliment..... Bowles really sucks. :(

boozer32 likes this.
  7. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

8. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

9. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

Its can't be another recylced head coach or defensive coordinator. Its gotta be a younger Off. coordinator like John Filippino. Its all about the QB and passing game in this league. And someone with fire in there belly that makes the fan base excited and does not just talk, but takes action when someone wipes there ass with a football after scoring a TD in the second quarter in the third game of the season. No Arians, no Harbaugh's, no Shanahan. NO THANKS.

boozer32 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  10. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Perfect situation IMO:

Johnsons -> hires Harbaugh - Pres of Football Ops ->hires GM -> hires DeFillippo - HC ->hires staff

11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Huh? Harbaugh as Pres. of Football Ops and not HC?

12. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I like Bowles but I until we have a better team I don't really know one way or another how good a HC he is. I would be all in on getting Harbaugh. He's a proven playoff quality coach. His wife would love being in NYC. Always good to have people who embrace the city working for the Jets. He would take a ton of Woody's money. He would drive Woody and his son bat shit crazy. He would have entertaining press conferences including losing it on occasions. He would be terrific for Darnold. It would be fun to have a lunatic on the sidelines.

He would burn out but for 3 to 5 years it would be a lot of fun and he will compete.

The 49ers team he coached had one hell of a d. To his credit he made the O much more creative. He absolutely maxed out both Smith and Kapernick's talent.

boozer32, NCJetsfan and stinkyB like this.
  13. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

What'
    Arians is done as an NFL HC. Can't see him coming back. He has had a ton of health issues the last few years. Great OC or QB coach. I don't think he could handle the HC gig anymore.

14. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Why not? Harbaugh could then hire someone for GM who could then hire his HC . Everybody is on the same page...and Harbaugh still ultimately calls shots. win/win! From what I've heard, Harbaugh has a rather large ego so dangling the VP job would be the icing on his legacy cake. Throw in enough cash and Harbaugh is ours!

#74 Cman68, Sep 26, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
    NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  15. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Jets history says something different. I believe that Webb and Parcells were the only proven high end HC this team every had. They were both recycled. We have a trail of OC and DC's that have
    Why not make him Head of Football operations and HC? He's a very good NFL HC. Let him pick the groceries. It justifies what you have to pay him to come and there's no doubt who gets the credit or the blame for the product on the field.

Cman68 likes this.
  16. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I agree with your post. But...

For some reason, this post forced back into my brain the year --I think it was 2005, but I'm not sure-- when Herm's defense was #1 in the league against the pass. Of course, it was only because they were last in the league against the run, and the whole team combined couldn't tackle a tackling dummy.

stinkyB likes this.
  17. TwoHeadedMonster

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any team that has gone through more than one or two HCs that had already had success elsewhere. I could be wrong--somebody throw some out for me. In the interim, I feel that just hiring away somebody else's successful HC is generally unrealistic.

18. TwoHeadedMonster

Coaches who won championships with multiple teams:
    Weeb

Coaches who made it to championships with multiple teams:
    Parcells
    Vermeil
    Shula
    Reeves
    Holmgren
    Fox

19. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I can't recall anyone being the GM/HC and succeeding. Lombardi, Shanahan tried and failed. There's too much in both jobs for one person to do well at both.

20. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

In principle I agree it would be fantastic to get the next Lombardi/Walsh... before anyone else did. We almost did it with Mangini. He actually had a lot to do with building the team Rex won with.

I don't know if you remember what happened with Mangini. He got us to the playoffs in year 1 with Pennington coming off arm surgery. Pennington could barely make half the route tree throws and he still had enough guile and Mangini did so much with a mediocre D that we made the playoffs. We went all in on Favre. Mangini didn't really want him. We won a crazy Thursday night game against the Pats in NE followed by beating the Titans to go 8 and 3 and really be on track to get the home field in the playoffs. The wheels fell off and Management made a change to Rex and drafted Sanchez.

If you want to really identify what's wrong with our ownership that was a huge turning point for Woody. I always wonder what would have happened if we had stayed on course and let Mangini continue to build the team with Tannenbaum.

It's all a crap shoot. The current owner in not that long a time frame has tried a number of approaches. It's hard for me to see him identifying the next great unproven talent and living with it long enough to play out.

I have to admit at the time I probably wasn't unhappy we unloaded Mangini. I do question it now in hindsight.