The Jets are finally a prime destination for a top coach in 2019

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by forevercursed, Sep 22, 2018.

1. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

can i ask why? what has he done in Houston that would warrant another HC job so quickly? no sarcasm, genuinely curious about the suggestion

NYJetsO12 and FJF like this.
  2. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I think he’s a good coach ... I think he’s had to deal with not having a QB & then losing Watson when he looked like he was actually going to take them to the playoffs with a good shot at winning .
    He lost his best defensive player in Watt , too ... the guys been snakebitten with injuries .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I respectfully disagree. I want no part of O'Brien. I think he was a good collegiate coach, but has failed in the NFL. He is partly responsible for not having had a good QB. I'm sure that he had input into drafts, and he hasn't developed players that he has had. He picked Savage over Watson to start last season, and Savage was awful. Watson seems to have regressed this season so far at least. Every HC deals with injuries. O'Brien is/was an offensive coach and yet the offense in Texas has been way behind the defense.

NYJetsO12 and almbleamal like this.
  4. STARoSCREAM

I dont know, I dont feel one way or the other about O'Brien, but he doesn't have injuries this year and his team hasnt looked good so far

5. bartscott

bartscott Well-Known Member

Who cares if he is an asshole to the media? His players love him, and he was the only reason the Niners were any good.

What Jet fan wouldn’t want Harbaugh?

NYJetsO12 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  6. bartscott

bartscott Well-Known Member

I agree. I think that he doesn’t have “it” to be a head coach. His teams always seem to come up short.

He’s like Bowles in a lot of ways. Good coordinator, but not a good HC.

7. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

You lost me at Harbaugh.

FJF likes this.
  8. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

Me. He's an ass hole period and over rated coach. I can't stand him and I would not be happy. If he was just an ass hole to the media and was a great coach I would be fine with that. I root against any team that has a a coach with the last name Harbaugh

9. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

OMG. Yeah, he's done a great job in Houston. If the jets are thinking of this guy or Harbaugh then do me a favor, keep Toilet Bowles

10. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I get the objections to O’Brien but I think Houston’s problems go beyond him being a bad coach .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Shouldn't a new President/GM be the first domino to fall?

Even if you're of the opinion that Mac is better than Bowles, he certainly hasnt earned the right to bring on his own coach. That would probably guarantee him a few more years, which would be a joke.

However, if Darnold shows real promise, I'd bet the Jets become a decent destination for a president of football operations.

12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

It definitely should be the first thing that happens, but do you really think it will? Maybe it would happen if someone put up an internet petition and thousands or tens of thousands of Jets fans signed it and then it was delivered to Chris Johnson, but with our luck they'd hire Richie Kotite (or someone of his ilk) as team President.

13. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

No, I dont think a team president will happen either. And honestly, I would have zero clue who to even hire for it. Personally, I thought John Dorsey would have been a perfect pick last year.

I just think firing Bowles and keeping everything else the same is putting a band aid on a bullet wound. Sure it'll stop the bleeding a bit, but it isnt fixing the wound entirely.

14. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

There may be more than just O’Brien being a bad coach but that’s still part of it.

15. STARoSCREAM

I agree. Isn't O'Brien from the Bellichick coaching tree? if so, doesn't staff from the Bellichick tree typically not work out when they leave?

No thanks

I'd much rather someone that is offensive minded of course, like a McVay, Pederson, etc. Not them obviously, but someone with a similar mindset

NYJetsO12 and NCJetsfan like this.
  16. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

DeFillipo would be my pick if we're hiring another first time HC. He played a role in developing Wentz.

17. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

It doesn't have to be Harbaugh. But he'd be an upgrade over what we got. Either Harbaugh.

18. forevercursed

All kidding aside but at least Herm recognized something and actually got help for it. I didn't like Herm but Herm was a better coach than Bowles. At least those teams didn't turn the ball over or have a ton of discipline issues on and off the field. Those Herm teams were fairly penalty free

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  19. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

I completely agree with DeFilipo being a top candidate.

20. forevercursed

Arians is 65 and not really considered a bigtime coach but I would take him in a heartbeat and hope we get 6 good years out of him

He's coached 6 years and his only losing record was 7-8-1