Jets Reach Out for Le'Veon Bell

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Im 50/50 on this one. Team needs top end talent in the worst way & needs to show Darnold they can surround him w pieces.Truthfully Bell’s OTF doesnt worry me asi think a change of scenery well suit him well.

That said unless the compensation is pennies on the dollar & hes a shoe in to re sign long term the price tag & gamble is likely too prohibitive

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  2. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

Not reading too much into this.

From what I've seen over the last few years is that mac calls about everyone worth a damn. Tries to find out the price and then make a choice if it's too high.

Why be ignorant and find that the asking price is something you would of paid.

If the player is an upgrade on what we have we always call at least to find out the price.

Sent from my SM-G610Y using Tapatalk

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  3. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I dont want to spend all the $ it would take to sign this guy longterm ... this team needs a top flight WR & pass rusher, along with a revamped O - line.

4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I think this is a great point. Certainly, IF Bell agrees to play here he would expect big things, and when that doesn't happen? We've already seen his attitude when he doesn't get what he wants. And so that would put pressure on the Jets to dive back into the "Win NOW!" approach that gives up long term success for short term illusion of success.

No doubt Bell would help the offense and importantly take pressure off Sam, and for these reasons I would be sorely tempted to sign him, but there's a lot that can go wrong. On balance I say pass.

5. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

If he's holding out there on the franchise tag why would he play here on the franchise tag?

When he shows up for the final seven games you think he'd give 100% effort?

No the only way this trade would make any sense for the Jets is if he gets a new contract when the trade happens.

Royal Tee and ColoradoContrails like this.
  6. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Not going to help with our current o-line.

BomberJet, NYJetsO12 and NCJetsfan like this.
  7. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

We do have a window to pay a premium at positions you don't traditionally pay thanks to Darnold being on a rookie scale.

I am neutral on this move. If Mac could get it done for a late round throwaway pick then it wouldn't be a terrible move.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

it'll help in the short passing game. bell is one of the best receiving backs and deadly with space. a huge upgrade over powell and crowell. hell look what barkley is doing for the giants and their shit o-line. he just set a franchise records for catches in a game breaking tiki barbers record

9. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

This has the potential to expedite the downfall of this FO/CS if Bell turns out to be the selfish PIA that we all believe he can be.

Short term solutions work out only if a team is one piece away from making the SB.

I believe CJ wanted to see an upward tick with this team. 5-11 is status quo not an upward trend.

Brook!, FJF and ColoradoContrails like this.
  10. WarriorRB28

The Jets traded away their backup QB for a third round pick you think we're getting a star running back starter for less?

They're dealing with the Steelers one of the smartest organizations if not the smartest in the sport.

It'll cost at minimum our first round pick.

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  11. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

Then I hope Mac passes.

12. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

I think @The Waterboy had some pretty good authority that said he can't sign a new contract now and has to play under the tag.

Worst case scenario, we trade for him, he sits until game 9, after which he doesn't give maximum effort to save himself for a big payday and someone severely overpays him and we get nothing. Not sure we'd even be entitled to a comp pick.

13. ColoradoContrails

I think this is also a very valid point. Macc probably doesn't read this forum (or any others), but he;s not deaf to the massive frustration of fans, and after seeing what he's seeing on the field, might decide that getting Bell would deflect a lot of that pressure. Of course he'll understand that this is only temporary, but saving his ass today, probably outweighs the possiblity of his ass being trouble in the future.

NYJetsO12 and Chrisiue like this.
  14. JDeacon

JDeacon Well-Known Member

I can understand the concern for Bell with the attitude issues, but the way some of you are acting on here its like we are loaded on the offensive side of the ball. I would gladly give up a 3rd and 15 mil per a year arguably the best RB in the NFL at 26 years old. It would take a tremendous amount of pressure off of Sam and give him an elite option in the flat and the wheel route to check the ball down to. There aren't any huge names in FA next year for o line accept Ali ( and who knows if he will even hit the market). Lets give our kid an actual all star level talent to throw and hand the ball off too and see how it works out in the next two seasons.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  15. ColoradoContrails

So, in light of that, would you get him? I wouldn't.

16. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

This has a Percy Harvin feel to it

Red Menace likes this.
  17. WarriorRB28

I'm wary because of what happened with Santonio Holmes.

I don't know what his character is like. I don't blame him for wanting fair market value.

His production last year was insane 321 rushing attempts with another 85 receptions!

If they can do it I say go for it.

I'd rather see them spend some serious cash on a player like this than that stiff Leonard Williams.

Chrisiue and JDeacon like this.
  18. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Any team that gives up a first round pick for him is a jackass. He’s going to walk next year. I’ll wait.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  19. The steelers are staring at him sitting out till week 10 or the whole year entirely & then walking for nothing in the offseason.The trading team can leverage this as well as the fact that hes essentially a 1 yr rental,still has to sign his franchise tag,may not be in shape & will only be around for 3/4 of regular season at best.

If steelers wanna get something for him theyre gonna have to grit their teeth & offer a discount. I guess they could leverage a compensatory pick when he signs elsewhere next year.Thatd be a 3rd rounder Before all these other negotiation points to get thrown into the mix.

3rd rounder at best more likely a 4/5th.

20. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

the same team that traded us holmes their SB MVP for a 5th rounder? Trades all depend on leverage. as it stands now pitt has no leverage. if they don't trade him, he reports to play week 10, plays 6 games in which they will pay him nearly 6 mil for those games, then he walks next year for nothing in return. On top of that the trading team can't sign him to a LTD so they assume the risk that they trade away a pick for using him for less then 1 season. The trading team also needs about 10 mil in cap space currently and the room to sign him next year and RB isn't a high priority position. They aren't going to get much for him at all.

that limits it to about a dozen teams. remove the teams set at HB and you have the jets, colts, niners, texans, titans, and ravens. so 6 potential teams who may or may not be interested and honestly none of those teams are going for a SB this season