Does this team lose the other night with Rex?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longislandjetfan, Sep 22, 2018.

1. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

There are absolutely times when you go for a TD instead of a FG because the rest of the game has reflected that you will likely need the TD to win moreso than just taking a lead with a FG. And many coaches do so, so it isn’t as if forgoing FG’s for TD’s is such a ludicrous idea that it never happens and thus you can’t fault Bowles for not doing so.

Prime example would be 2016 game 1 against the Bengals. Despite 7 sacks, Andy Dalton was something like 25-30 for 350 yards. We couldn’t stop him in the second half. And with 3 minutes left to go in the game, down by 1 and 4th and inches from the 6 (on a drive in which Matt Forte ran right down the throats of the Bengals) the smart play was to go for the first down, get a TD and force the Bengals to have to go the entire field to score a TD to beat us as it was far more likely Forte could get a 1st than our defense keeping the Bengals out of FG range?

But what happened? Bowles kicked the FG, we took the lead, the Bengals matched right back into FG range and kicked the game winner with a minute left. Taking a 2 point lead was a moral victory, but they don’t count in the standings. We were 0-1 because we kicked that FG.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  2. Matthew_McBride

Matthew_McBride Active Member

No lol. 4th and inches is a lot different than 4th and 1 or 2+. But also, you NEVER don't take the lead in the 4th quarter. And btw, we were not 0-1 because we kicked that FG, we were 0-1 because we didn't stop them from scoring. There is a reason that coaches kick the FG and fans think you go for the TD. Fans don't know how to coach.

3. JetBlue

No, it’s not about fans it’s about good coaches versus bad coaches. Yes, we lost that game because the D, and any good coach and smart fan could have seen that coming based on the game that preceded the decision and made the smarter call — go for the TD. Remind me what that FG got us? I’m glad you enjoy taking leads but it’s not the objective of the game. The objective isnt just to score points, it’s to score more points than your opponent. Kicking didn’t accomplish that goal.

4. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

I know you guys are talking in general but what game are you referring to in this post that we lost becaise of our D?

5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Why are we still talking about Rex Ryan? Who cares if he MIGHT HAVE won? The FACT is that with Bowles we lost. Therefore, the solution is not to look backwards but forwards..

Ralebird, NCJetsfan and WarriorRB28 like this.
  6. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Are we taking about Fat Rex or Slightly Portly Rex?

stinkyB likes this.
  7. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Fat Rex was the best Rex. Once he lost weight, he lost his mojo.
    [​IMG]

8. BuffaloBills06

BuffaloBills06 Active Member

Been awhile?

Last 4 seasons: Buffalo Bills 33-31 record(0 seasons double digit losses)
    Last 4 seasons: New York Jets 24-40(3 seasons with double digit losses)

Bills have actually been an average to slightly above average team over the past 4 seasons.........Jets.......not so much.

9. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Wow. If "above average" is your standard, I feel sorry for you.

If "better than the Jets" is your standard, I think you need psychiatric assistance.

To illustrate the futility of this argument:
    Bills Playoff Wins in the last 20 years - 0 (that's Zero, as in None)
    Fins Playoff Wins in the last 20 years - 3
    Jets Playoff Wins in the last 20 years - 7
    Pats Playoff Wins in the last 20 years - 27

10. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

2010 Week 13: Jets lose 45-3 to the Pat's
    2010 Division Game: Jets beat the Pats 28-21

Who in their right mind would take a Sanchez led team over a Brady lead team? :)

#70 johnny, Sep 25, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
    stinkyB, JetBlue and HomeoftheJets like this.
  11. Matthew_McBride

Yes, kicking did accomplish that goal. You NEVER don't take the lead in the 4th quarter, you don't leave it up to chance. The field goal is a sure thing, and it gets you the lead. The other does not, this is not a debate.

12. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

IMHO it is open to debate. If your defense has shown throughout the game that they have not been able to stop the opposition from scoring then it's entirely feasible to go for the TD rather than the field goal. Likewise, if your defense has been kicking ass and the opposing QB is playing terribly then going for the "easy" three might be appropriate.

Never is generally not a good word to use in that situation. If you don't adapt your decisions based on how the team is performing then you are asking for trouble.

Now it was forth and 2 from around the 10 yard line and not fourth and inches so it I believe it could be argued either way. I bet many offensive based HC's would have gone for it while many defensive based HC's would "trust their defenses". Don't ask me what John Harbaugh would do :).

Nevertheless, making blanket statements (again IMHO) is not a good idea.

13. JetBlue

Nonsense. Only thing you’ve stated that isn’t up to debate is you have no grasp on the context of certain scenarios; only a simpleton would take different situations and argue they are all equal. Simpleton. Not debatable.

14. Matthew_McBride

Under EVERY situation, if the situation is in the 4th quarter and you have a choice between kicking the field goal for the lead, or any distance on 4th down. You kick the field goal for the lead. You never don't take the lead in the 4th quarter. You are so thick and have no knowledge of situational football. Look this up dude it's not rocket science.

15. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

Philly Special is a great example of this.

4th and goal from on the NE 2 and the eagles go for the throat instead of settling for a field goal. (I THINK) The score was 15-12 PHI and a FG makes the Pats have to go for a TD to take the lead

BUT

If NE holds them to 3, its a moral victory for the defense. By judging the situation and going for the TD on 4th and goal, they kept a healthy lead and helped to damage the spirits of the Pats D for the remainder of the game.

It's not a vacuum, you have to take a lot of aspects into account

16. Matthew_McBride

No lol. You always take the points in the 4th if it gives you the lead. If it's a close field goal, there's no debate. Maybe among fans that don't understand the game, but 99.9% of the time, the coaches will go for the field goal as they should.

17. Matthew_McBride

Completely different scenario, the scenario I'm talking about is if you take the lead. If the Eagles would have been tied, they would have taken the field goal.

18. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

not totally sure about that. I remember thinking "Pederson is either a genius or hes gonna get fired on the sidelines" as they were lining up.

If the Jets score a TD there it puts more pressure on the Browns O and takes some of the air out of a very rowdy stadium

And big picture, we aren't going anywhere this season anyway, why not gamble there? Let Darnold go big or go home. We wind up losing anyway so even if we dont score there, ultimately it winds up being the same outcome (20/20 hindsight i know)

19. Matthew_McBride

Because you don't gamble during the 3rd game of the season when you can easily take the lead late in the 4th quarter. And yes, I am fairly sure that the Eagles would have kicked the FG would they have been tied.

Is there an example of a coach not going for the lead in the 4th quarter and opting instead to go for 4th down within the 30 yard line? I think someone would be hard pressed to find it.

20. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Pittsburgh smash mouthed Rex's D to death. They dominated the LOS and the TOP. Pittsburgh took the opening kickoff and has a 17 play drive that took 9 minutes of the first quarter. They ran the ball down our defenses throat. Rex's D came out flat as a pancake and put us in an enormous hole right out of the gate. Pitt put up 24 in the first half and played prevent the entire second half. Sanchez actually played a decent game.