Judging Sam After 3 Games is idiotic!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Well we do have PHD's in bad decision making..

Zach and Brook! like this.
  2. David-The-Meats-Harris

David-The-Meats-Harris Well-Known Member

Nobody can say if he's going to be the fqb yet. Its impossible to deny he's made shit decisions at moments, but its also impossible to deny he's made some big throws at other times.

Regardless of what he did in the past, its difficult to say where he ends up. Give him a chance.

My concern now is he comes out over compensating and hangs himself trying to force shit

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

3. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

If this then that.

If you have a crappy OL, you’ll have a QB under pressure.
    If you have crappy wide receivers, there will be no place to throw the ball.
    If you have a QB under pressure with no place to throw the ball, he’ll force things.
    If the QB forces things, he’ll make mistakes.

Etc.

So far, with ok protection, Sam has shown he can complete a high percentage of passes, move the chains on 3rd down, and feel the pressure and buy himself time.

With poor protection he looks bad like any other QB would. Look what happened to Stafford week one. Taylor on Thursday. Rothlesberger and Brees against the Browns.

Forget the Sanchez comparisons. He had a strong OL, weapons at WR and RB, and a dominant defense on the other side of the ball. There are no parallels from that roster to this one, so the comparison is unreasonable.

#23 Jets81, Sep 23, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
  4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

This is key.. We really can't evaluate Sam in a vacuum. He's a product of his gameplan, his personnel in the skill positions and oline, and his CS. Its important to view this as a human system instead of an individual. He's already handicapped by a lack of experience of his OC who pulled a Phil Jackson and wandered the wilderness finding himself. He's also handicapped by his HC who just like his predecessor has a blind spot on offense. His last issue is his GM who unless quality falls into his lap can't evaluate talent even if his prior job was exactly that.

Sam got dealt a bad hand by the football gods. I hope he survives long enough to see the light instead of morphing into David Carr/Joey Harrington.

Jets81, ColoradoContrails and Brook! like this.
  5. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

Until the Jets start opening things up its going to be hard to judge Darnold fully. I understand that the OL isn't all world, but you still have to chuck it down the field a couple of times a game. If nothing else, it keeps the defense honest. Unless you are going deep to Anderson a couple of times a game you are wasting whatever potential he has. He is not a possession receiver and his two fumbles have been killers.

They have got to do something to get to get the ball to somebody other than Enunwa. The lack of anything from Kearse (who was so clutch last year) leads me to believe that perhaps his abdomen issue is not fully healed.

Right now the short pass is the only thing being called by the Jets. Even the intermediate passing plays seems non-existent. As others have mentioned, while Darnold did make a couple of ill-advised passes (the first INT was brutal) it doesn't look like the Jets are doing him any favors.

BudJet likes this.
  6. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

He's a starter in the NFL his job performance will be judged that's how it works.

There was a euphoria about this team after they beat Detroit Darnold got much credit. They've stunk up the joint the past two weeks Darnold is feeling some heat that's how it works especially in this town.

If he goes out next week does his job well has a good game, pulls out a W things will calm down.

I think we're seeing why the Jets were so quick to trade away Bridgewater they didn't want a QB controversy if Darnold struggled. Which shows why the organization doesn't learn from past mistakes they tried the mentor/non-threat backup QB with Sanchez it didn't work.

7. BIGREX

BIGREX Member

We are comparing him to a Guy who very nearly took us to a Superbowl ?

8. BIGREX

BIGREX Member

There is a Long list below Mark ,A long one ..

9. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Mayfield had a fumble that could have gone the other way and a throw right into Middletons chest that was dropped. Yet, hes being crowned as the next best thing. Sams a young rookie on a bad team. I am more worried about the team ruining him than Sam's own errors.

10. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

If you have a shit game plan, you will have a shit game.

Jets81 likes this.
  11. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

The Jets need to go the same route with a QB friendly coach like Philly/Rams/KC etc etc the list goes on and on.... Then get a GM that can actually draft a pro bowl player... and then load up with talented players while our QB is on his rookie contract.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. wampa

wampa Well-Known Member

Saying any QB is a true FQB without like two-three solid years of NFL film is too soon. You might be able to rule them out earlier than that, but you can't confirm you've got the goods until they show the ability to improve in the offseason and adapt to whatever new things defensive coordinators who've had a year or more to study them come up with to counter them.

I'll stay optimistic in the meantime, though.

FJF likes this.
  13. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

All I can think of is Goff

After year 1 I truly thought he was a bust- he really sucked

But wow....WOW

What a difference last year

Yes He personally grew, AND he got a legit coach and improved OL and weapons.

The formula is there.

There is no patent. We can copy.

Please copy.

Young cheap stud at QB pre mega contract
    Young offensive genius HC
    Shore up OL
    Add playmakers around him
    Done

We have 1 of 3 and we can go 3-3 with 90 million and a new coach

Good times

sackexchange likes this.
  14. DuhesSeaOfMud

DuhesSeaOfMud Member

It is way too early to get too down on Darnold, he was not good but he wasn't awful the last 2 games. that said, is there anyone who watched the TNF game who can honestly say that Darnold has anywhere near Mayfields' arm talent and pocket presence?

15. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

While judging Sam after 3 games is idiotic, judging Todd Bowles after 3 years is certainly not. Especially when - and not if - the team shows every kind of deficiency at every level like the Jets do, with no improvement in sight. I am of an opinion that, the deficiency of Todd Bowles is so great that, it makes other good work by front office members and coaches not named Todd Bowles almost invisible.

#35 Zach, Sep 24, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  16. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Is there any reason one should make such a determination based on one, short week, home/away, early season game?

17. Metstrife

Metstrife Active Member

Way to early to judge. I think he had a really good debut against the Lions, was ok in parts against Miami and not so great agains the Browns. Typical performance over three games from a rookie. He's shown me enough early (ability to keep plays alive, throw on the run and just his general calmness for a 21 year old) that he's got some real promise and basic tools to work with. He's going to make mistakes - let's see if he learns from them. If he's still making them down the line then I'll be worrying. Not now though - let's give him some time.

Biggest worry for me is do we have the coaching to really develop him - I'm not convinced at all. Also the play calling being so conservative is actually hurting him. Everyone is ready for the screen every second pass! We need to get a little more creative and give him chance to keep defences guessing instead of looking for the short pass to Enunwa all day.

18. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

If this was Peyton Manning, with his horrid 1st season, it wouldn't matter - he would be run right out of NY on an open cart tied to a pole past crowds of people throwing tomatoes at him. Why?

This is NY.

FJF likes this.
  19. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

This is spot on. If the Jets really this season about Darnold's development they have to take the kid gloves off at some point. All you heard all Summer was how he was "way ahead" and devouring the playbook.

20. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

judging any QB after 3 games is stupid, but we have some people here judging a Qbs career off 2 quarters so not surprised LMAO. 3 years will tell which Qbs from this class panned out and which ones didn't