Allen Vs Mayfield at the 3 pick - what the film shows

Discussion in 'Draft' started by GasedAndConfused, Mar 26, 2018.

?

If Rosen and Darnold are gone, who would you pick with the 3rd pick?

1. Mayfield

63.2%
  2. Allen

36.8%
  1. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I agree that can happen in the NFL if a young QB is subjected non-stop for a 2-3 years. I don't think Allen is at the David Carr level just yet.

2. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

I was going to say, are we really taking Kirwan's words as pearls of wisdom now?

3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

he was a cap guy here during the dark ages. Heavily involved in the Neil O'Donnell signing

4. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I actually find Kirwin's analysis to be very educational. Him and Miller are a worthy listen in the afternoon. I find it harder to listen to Ross Tucker in the morning. He typically has great guests, but when listening to Ross himself I often wonder how he's able to tie his shoes in the morning.

5. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Not necessarily saying Kirwan isn't knowledgeable. He just isn't a guy I look at and say, "Man he had so much success in the NFL, let me hear what he has to say."

6. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

So, arguably, Allen is shell shocked and will be more prone to do Geno-esque things in the pros?

7. 6-10 once again

6-10 once again Well-Known Member

Out of the "top 4 " QB's Allen had the highest rate of uncatchable balls and Mayfield had the lowest by far. Josh Allen is who he is an inaccurate physical specimen, no NFL team is changing that especially the Jets.

8. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

there is a difference between accuracy and consistency. Allen misfires a lot but it's due to his mechanics which he needs to work on. He also makes a lot of amazing throws, throws that maybe 3-4 other QBs can make tops in the NFL. With the right coaching he can do it consistently

9. 6-10 once again

He had good coaching at Wyoming, pretty sure he had the same guy who coached Carson Wentz. Based on the stats you are looking for Allen to be a major major outlier close to the level that favre was a outlier.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  10. GasedAndConfused

he's a huge boom or bust prospect, which is why i prefer the jets to get the much safer Rosen. But i really don't want allen in the AFC east, he could be scary in the future

6-10 once again likes this.
  11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Here's another thing about Allen that scares the hell outta me!!!:

So you say its unfair to compare his numbers at Wyoming to guys like Darnold & Mayfield at Okie & USC. Sure, I can get that, there are certainly less talented players at Wyoming.

But isn't it fair to compare his numbers to the rest of the Mountain West conference????? Allen was the 7th most efficient starting quarterback in his conference. He ranked dead last in the MW conference in passing yards per attempt. yikes

that's his conference. Wyoming has similar talent around their QB as the QBs at Colorado State, or Fresno (examples of QBs that performed at a higher level) so it's not an unfair comparison at all. I don't have a small school bias, I just think big or small school, a top QB prospect ought to be able to outperform his peers before I consider him worthy of a top 3 pick

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...t/passing/sort/collegeQuarterbackRating/id/17

12. 6-10 once again

That's fair enough, My number 1 guy is Rosen as well, I really hope the talk of him
    falling is all smoke

CotcheryFan and GasedAndConfused like this.
  13. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Not to mention he was not even voted 1st or 2nd team all conference by the the coaches he faced. He was not even one of the top 2 QBs in the MWC! This is guy without a cannon arm would arguably not even get drafted. I would rather take Lauretta, Jackson, Rudolph, and many others ahead of Allen.

My biggest hope would be to see Allen go to an AFC East team. That would almost mean 10 years of very bad football for that rival. That being said I would hate to see Rosen or Mayfield go to an AFC East team.

CotcheryFan and JohnnyJet1222 like this.
  14. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

15. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

This will go down as one of the best and funniest threads in the draft forum.

16. SettlerDawg

SettlerDawg Well-Known Member

Still early, but Allen is looking impressive. You can see from this thread which posters took a few minutes to watch full game tape, and which posters watch narrative-driven highlights (lowlights).

17. GasedAndConfused

he's come along a lot faster then i thought he would but still as you said way too early. we can judge this QB class at the end of the 2021 season then we'll have a better idea of who is what. he sure did look good sunday against a tough viking teams though

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  18. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I think Josh Allen has already set one thing in concrete though. The fact that he "can" play with the big boys and be an impactful NFL QB is no longer even debatable. He's had a hell of a 5 or 6 month run in that regard including the combine, pro game, preseason etc. The evidence just kept (and keeps on) mounting that he's a good bet to be a good pro. With a perhaps slight but nevertheless legit chance at potentially being a great pro.

Now its just down to things like avoiding terrible injuries, and if he's going to really be able to take that next step where he "sees" the field, reads defenses and is able to sprinkle in some top QB magic here and there and start pulling off comeback wins and winning playoff games. Obviously all that stuff is still very much in question and a majority of otherwise skilled QBs historically have not been able to pull all that stuff together. I think this kid has the makeup to maybe be able to harness it all though. I'm a fan and was really hoping the Jets would get him back when we had the #6 pick.

19. GasedAndConfused

that was never a question really. his biggest question was mechanics and consistency. he tends to get sloppy and misfire too often. as long as he can focus on his mechanics he can be a stud

20. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how much he's proved. He has run a lot (8 rushes vs. SD and 10 vs. Minnesota). His defense was the real winner in Minnesota and his team was so far behind against SD, most of his yardage was garbage time. I don't want to take too much away from him though, as he has played better than I thought, but much like all the rookies, none have really proven anything. Also, 3 fumbles against the Vikings and somehow none recovered by them. Cousins fumbled 3 times but lost 2.