Weekly Fan Over Reaction explained

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Teams play 16 games in the NFL and 162 in baseball.

A win in the NFL is the statistical “equivalent” of 10 straight wins in baseball.

A loss in the NFL is the statistical “equivalent” to a 10 game losing streak.

Either instance in baseball is going to encite a major fan reaction and analysis about why.

Similarly, since it’s the same impact on overall record %, we all react to a football win and loss in a major way.

It’s fair and legit. I know it’s obnoxious but it makes mathematical sense.

Please stop judging posters, and start understanding why the reaction is so intense.

A 2 game losing streak (which is what we have) is like the Mets losing 21 of 24 games!!!!

So back off and let the paying fans react how they want - without personal insult.

NYJetsO12 and 94Abraham like this.
  2. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

If you have been following this semi-pro team long enough, you instinctively know this is around the time to bail and lose interest. I mean, why hang around and continue to watch the same garbage issues transpire year after year? That is analogous to watching the same re-runs of the same television show over and over again. And very few things in life suck more than television, but the Jets happen to be one of those things.

3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

There are about 10x more games in baseball than football, but a loss isn't mathematically the same as 10 losses in baseball. A 10 game losing streak in baseball is rare and therefore a much bigger indicator that something is wrong with the team than one loss in football. And if you have the right to make threads over and over again, we have the right to express our opinions on your threads.

4. Longsuffering88

My only concerns in 2018 -

Sam development
    General Player development (Mayes, Adams, Lee, tight ends, O line)
    Bates growth
    Draft pick order
    Enunwa extension

In that priority

I know Bowles is hopeless

Footballgod214 and Noam like this.
  5. Longsuffering88

Yes agree (sarcasm I don’t)

The Mets start of this year clearly indicated how great they were....

Sorry if you can’t accept simple math, then I blame your teachers.

6. Longsuffering88

To add

A 10-6 record in football is the NEAR statistical equivalent to going 102-60 in baseball

Do you disagree?

7. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

Well, the best teams in the NFL are usually 12-4 or better. Usually there are multiple teams each year with at least that record. However, there has never been an MLB team that has won 120 games in the regular season.

Likewise, there is almost always a team or teams at 4-12 or worse every year in the NFL. However, since the advent of the 162 game MLB season only the non-amazing 1962 Mets have managed to lose 120 games.

just because the MLB season is 10x the amount of games doesn't mean that a record of 100-60 in MLB is synonymous with 10-6 on the NFL. Historically the spread between the best and worst teams is much greater (from a winning percentage) in the NFL than the MLB.

I bet you that over the years you will find many more NFL teams go 10-6 vs. NLB teams that win over 100 games. So no, I don't believe they are synonymous.

8. Longsuffering88

I’m talking straight up numbers and facts.

0-2 is like 0-20 even though we know it’s very unlikely for a baseball team to go 0-20 and all the other things you mention.

I’m taking a strict undeniable mathematical equivalent.

But yes different sports, so I agree with you to some extent - You’re right.

But my point is strictly based on math and it’s undeniable,

Again, I’m saying that mathematically we react to single games in the NFL to the way we react to 10 game clusters in baseball.

9. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Lol I don't recommend acting like you know more about a subject than you do. Because on occasion you might unknowingly run into an expert and make a fool of yourself. Fwiw I'm not an expert in math compared to real experts, but I know more than I'm letting on. I just don't talk math here because that would be weird. :)

#9 HomeoftheJets, Sep 24, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  10. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Don't try to bring reason into this. Your talking to the guy who bumped the thread about being classy because we didn't score at the end of the lions game to point out the players actions, which are completely different than the coaches, are not classy. He a real see you next tuesday type of person that will not let intelligence or reason get in the way of a good rant.

Cman68 likes this.
  11. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Monumentally stupid math analogy.

This thread is ass.

12. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I remember Rex saying this exact thing in a press conference, it was dumb then too

Harpua likes this.
  13. Rollo Tomassi

Remember when he said “so...we’ve been eliminated from the playoffs...”

Ahhh Rex?

14. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

If the join dates matched I'd swear this was the latest incarnation of JetFanNerd/Jethro.

15. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

So instead of reactionary "piss and moan" threads we now have an extremely flawed mathematical attempt to justify "piss and moan" threads... jesus

FJF likes this.
  16. With the current state of the organization,I have to question the passion & integrity of any jet fan that questions another’s emotion after any loss. The viscious cycle of false bravado,incompetence & repeated ineptitude is enough to discourage Richard Simmons at an Abba convention

NYJetsO12 and Harpua like this.
  17. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

The non-stop "whoa is us" type threads are just as gay....

FJF likes this.
  18. Then dont open or read them.I got news for you we’re 2 years away from a decade of no playoffs..in football terms woe IS us.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  19. Rollo Tomassi

And mathematically speaking, if we were dogs, that would be exactly equal to 70 years with no playoffs.

Facts bishes.

Biggs, dawinner127, FJF and 1 other person like this.
  20. bartscott

bartscott Well-Known Member

So less games equal more important games.

Glad that was explained to me.