It starts at the very top of this organisation

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by maynardsmyhero-uk, Sep 21, 2018.

1. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

We can never just lose a game ... we aren’t happy unless we embarrass ourselves .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

88toon likes this.
  2. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

Some mentioned timing. I think we will look back and realize that Josh McDaniels really really screwed us badly this offseason. His jerking around the Colts lead them to getting Franck Reich who would have been the PERFECT fit for us as a HC next year. It's clear we need an offensive head coach next year. I know it shouldn't just boil down to current OCs as choices, but of the following list do any of these names inspire anyone? (of the realistic options on the list.)

Brian Daboll
    Dowell Loggains
    Josh McDaniels
    Jeremy Bates
    Marty Mornhinweg
    Bill Lazor
    Todd Haley
    Randy Fichtner
    Bill O'Brien*
    Nick Sirianni
    Nathaniel Hackett
    Matt LaFleur
    Bill Musgrave
    Eric Bieniemy
    Ken Whisenhunt
    Greg Olson
    Scott Linehan
    Mike Shula
    Mike Groh
    Matt Cavanaugh
    Mark Helfrich
    Jim Bob Cooter
    Joe Philbin
    John DeFilippo
    Steve Sarkisian
    Norv Turner
    Pete Carmichael Jr.
    Todd Monken
    Mike McCoy
    Aaron Kromer/Shane Woldren
    Kyle Shanahan*
    Brian Schottenheimer

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Bates calling plays differently could be the easiest, and perhaps should be the easiest to correct, but that's only if Bowles gives him free reign. If Bowles told him to reign in the aggressiveness, to be more conservative, and call only short, safe passes for Darnold, then it will be impossible for Bates to change unless he goes against orders and risks getting fired, or Bowles changes his mind/orders.

#1 is the least likely to happen imo because that's just not who Bowles is. He wants to be liked. After Mo and Richardson were late and Mo missed a walk through, it was not big deal, those things happen, etc. Bowles is not a disciplinarian. That should be blatantly obvious by now. Hell is more likely to freeze over than Bowles change. #2 probably won't change, not due to Bowles being unwilling, just incapable. I don't think he has multiple ways of doing things. One can only blame personnel for so long for his failure to make adjustments/changes at halftime or during games. Sooner or later, you have to try something different if things aren't working.

I think #3 is the thing most likely to change, because I have more confidence in Mac than I do Bowles, but it may not happen either. Mac may just be one of those guys who is wildly inconsistent. He makes a good decision/pick then a head scratcher. It's all conjecture because we'll probably never know the real truth, but it seems to me that based on Woody's comments about making the playoffs that Mac was not given the opportunity to start the rebuild in 2015, and due to the organizational structure and perhaps being told that he had to work with Bowles rather than supervise him, he's had to make some picks that he normally might not have made to keep Bowles happy and show the Johnsons that he's working with Bowles and a team player.

Like you, I think the chances of all 3 happening are nil. At a minimum, I think we'll need to look for a new HC, and quite likely a new GM as well.

egelband and NYJetsO12 like this.
  4. NCJetsfan

Did Tanny hire Mangini, or did Woody? Tanny had to listen to his HCs, because he had no clue about talent and personnel, and that's not what one wants in a GM.

5. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Well, John Dorsey isn't going to be fired. He'll be able to hand pick his own HC. Jets would be bringing in both a new GM/HC. Browns are up and coming, but Jets are comparatively talented IMO. Jets have more cap space, so more maneuverability. Someone who likes Darnold will see it as an opportunity to win sooner rather than later.

6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yeah, 'cause look what he did for KC - drafted Mahomes and those other "stiffs"! Who'd want a guy like that?:rolleyes:

NCJetsfan and NYJetsO12 like this.
  7. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Scratch Schotenheimer please and Morningwhig has also had his moment here..most here like DeFillipo

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

The Jets have had piss poor ownership for the last five decades and counting. The one Super Bowl they won was gifted because it was a PR necessity for the much desired and needed NFL-AFL merger the following season. No doubt, that gift from the football gods came at a very high price.

For those old enough to remember, what exactly has changed in the 18 years since Johnson bought the team from the Hess estate in 2000?

The same incompetent football people (coaches, GM, etc.) being hired over and over again - check
    The same awful drafts picks year after year, even though the picks have been relatively high due to their numerous losing seasons - check
    The same awful losses to crappy teams who couldn't find their way out of a paper bag - check
    The same disrespect being dished out by the rest of the league towards the Jets - check
    The same ridiculous stadium situation, as they still do not have a home to call their own - check
    The same lame ass excuses and false sense of hope year after year - check

Bill Walsh took over a 2-14 Niners team in 1979 and two years later won the Super Bowl, as San Fran remained extremely competitive for the next 15 years (and the Niners did this without the blatant favoritism which the league grants certain franchises to continue their dynasties today).

In the past 50 years, the Jets have continuously failed miserably in rebuilding the team in order to remain competitive for even a relatively short stretch of four or five years. If nothing has changed in five decades, how stupid do people have to be to think it can change in one or two seasons?

9. wampa

wampa Well-Known Member

People are making way too much of a big deal about losing to the Browns. They had a terrible record last season but were far better on paper than their record/play indicated and now with a much better QB situation and an improved secondary and skill-position groups are not a bad team at all. They lost to the Saints by a FG and tied the Steelers, perennially dangerous/good teams. If Mayfield represents an upgrade over Tyrod (even if not as much of one as he was against he Jets, now that teams will game-plan for him), they could easily be a 7+ win team - hell, even a wild card contender in a weak AFC playoff race - this year.

grkmanga31 likes this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

It's not about losing to the Browns...it's about HOW we lost to the Browns. The same we we've lost so often under Bowles. and for that matter, how we often lost under Rex: with a philosophy that's based upon the fallacy that we can have a :shut down defense", and just enough offense to win games. But in the era of the passing-friendly NFL, that's a philosophy doomed to fail.

We were up 14-0 and tried to sit on the lead. Played a "prevent defense" against Mayfield even when he was carving it up. Kept handcuffs on Darnold for fear he would make too many mistakes, but this conservative approach didn't allow them to come back when they went behind. And through all of that, were the stupid penalties and mistakes that are a hallmark of Bowles' tenure.

stinkyB, NCJetsfan, Cman68 and 2 others like this.
  11. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I got in a couple of years before you and thought 'well, New England is the obvious team'. I also considered the Rams because I'm from Derby. Then I thought, 'New York Jets sounds cool, I'll follow them.'

If I had a time machine, forget going back to 1930 to kill Hitler. I'd go back to 1983 and tell a teenaged boy in England to follow the Rams. (Even with all the Super Bowls I can't bring myself to wish I'd followed the Patriots.)

ColoradoContrails and egelband like this.
  12. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

I had exactly the same thought process - "I've heard of New York and The Jets sounds cool" - everyone else was supporting the Dolphins, Bears and 49ers, I should have chosen the Packers....

ukjetsfan and egelband like this.
  13. egelband

egelband Well-Known Member

Every time I pop on to this forum I’m hoping to see a stickies thread about a shock management house-cleaning that just happened.
    It has gotten to that point. Losing to the Browns is inexcusable. And I’ve been realllllly patient. Still upset about that one.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  14. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

The Packers would have been a great choice - but NEW YORK JETS! How cool does that sound?!

15. NCJetsfan

I must be really sick. As a 8-9 year old first time football fan, I started rooting for the Green Bay Packers of Vince Lombardi. They had great teams, won Championships, and won the first several SBs. The NFL was very conservative in play and philosophy, however, and players had crewcuts and wore high-top shoes. The AFL came along, and players had long hair, wore white shoes, they had 2 point conversions, and they threw the ball all over the field. About that time a womanizing drunk named Joe Willie Namath came along who wore white shoes and threw the ball all over the field to great receivers like Don Maynard and George Sauer, Jr., and I was lost to the curse that is the Jets. I still root for the Packers, but they've never had the place in my heart that the Jets have. My love for the Jets was deepened by living in NYC for 16 years. Perhaps if I had lived in Green Bay for any length of time during this last 50 years, maybe my allegiance would have switched back to the Packers, but I doubt it. Aaron Rodgers is probably my favorite NFL player now, and even that is not enough to switch my allegiance back.

#55 NCJetsfan, Sep 24, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
    egelband and LAJet like this.
  16. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

I had no such luck @NCJetsfan ... my dad booked a school bus for his retreat and the driver was listening to football on the radio ... (radio was banned in my house growing up as a religious Jew) and which game was on ?? you guessed it the Jets (miss you Howard David) I was hooked ever since.

Needless to say they won one game in 96 with Mr Kotite yet I played hooky every Sunday from school where I waited hours for my favorite Deli to open so I could watch the team lose 15 times ... yet I still loved every second of it as a 12 year old WTF was wrong with me ... NVM got a whole long list :)

egelband and NCJetsfan like this.
  17. ColoradoContrails

"How did I become cursed as a Jets fan?" should be a new thread possibly.

In my case my parents moved us to NY from Philly (well the suburbs), and already being an Iggles fan, I couldn't root for the Giants:eek:, but as luck would have it there was another football league, the AFL, and NY had a team, the Titans! So I began rooting for them and continued rooting for the Iggles. Coincidentally, the Titans renamed themselves and got new colors, green & white, which were the same colors as the Iggles AND the same colors as my high school! It was destiny obviously! Since both the Iggles and Jets were suffering through losing seasons in the early/mid sixties I began also rooting for the Packers. But then came Joe Willie and all other loves were forgotten. I loved watching him engage in the aerial battles of the old AFL, against the likes of Lamonica, Hadl, Dawson, Stabler, Fouts. I boycotted NBC for years because of the Heidi Bowl. I was in ecstasy when the Jets beat the big mouth Colts and the NFL, and thought it would last forever. But alas, time and injuries, and stupid management decisions did what other teams couldn't and that great team fell apart. But having pledged my allegiance, I was no quitter and stuck with them, being rewarded only a few times, and then having my guts ripped out repeatedly. Still, I stuck with them, believing that soon they would return to glory. What my experience has proven is that faith isn't always rewarded...if it were, how many ponies would be found under Christmas trees?

It's been over 55 years now, and I've kept my faith, but if it's not rewarded soon, if I don't see clear evidence that the Johnsons intend to deliver a winning franchise, then I will terminate my relationship. I don't know if I'll decide to follow another team or not. Like anyone ending a long term relationship, it's best not to jump right into a new one right away, so I'll keep my options open. Hopefully it doesn't come to this, but given their track record, it probably will. If the screen name of "Jetsaholic" isn't already taken, maybe that's what I should call myself since I'm clearly insane, but at this point, why bother?

It's small comfort to know that I have lots of company.:)

NCJetsfan and egelband like this.