What I want for Christmas (or Columbus Day)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ColoradoContrails, Sep 23, 2018.

?

Do the Johnsons need to replace Macc and/or Bowles?

1. Replace Macc

3 vote(s)
    8.8%
  2. Replace Bowles

9 vote(s)
    26.5%
  3. Keep Macc + Bowles

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  4. Replace Macc+Keep Bowles

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Replace Bowles+Keep Macc

8 vote(s)
    23.5%
  6. Replace Macc+Bowles

17 vote(s)
    50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Here in Colorado they have the Broncos - Ravens and SF - KC games on TV. KC - with Mahomes - is again setting the house on fire, but SF is hanging in there. The Broncos and Ravens are going back and forth, and giving their fans reason to believe they can win. All of this just reminds me once again of how long it's been since the Jets looked like this. And all four teams have had success, slipped, and then rebuilt, meanwhile the Jets continue to fumble and flounder. After 55+ years of waiting, I want my Christmas present. I understand it's not going to happen this year, but at LEAST I want to see a shake up that shows urgency on the part of the Johnsons that they can't continue with this mediocrity.

Maybe this shouldn't be its own thread, but I didn't know where else to post it. I just wanted to have a thread for those who feel the same way - or who can justify NOT feeling that way - to express it.

tomdeb likes this.
  2. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Bowles should have been gone midseason last year. MacCagnan has put a QB in place the team can be built around. The new head coach must be responsible to the GM or to a football operations director. With that management structure MacCagnan gets a year or two to prove himself.

3. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

This coaching staff can't develop a QB like Darnold. They need to go. I'm starting to have doubts about Mac. At the very least, something has to be done about college scouting.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  4. Endlessly Counting

35-7 now

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

And we picked all hype Adams over Mahomes.

Fire both God damn it. Fire both and bring in a passionate and smart coach and a GM.

#5 Brook!, Sep 23, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
  6. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

When is the last time this team fired a HC or GM during the season? I doubt anything happens until after the season ends. At the very least, Bowles has to go. From in game decisions to allowing his players to get away with embarrassing behavior, it's becoming more and more clear that he's not the HC who will lead this team to a Super Bowl. As for Macc, he's done an ok job so far overall, but that's not enough. He needs to hit on more picks after round 1. If there's a good GM candidate out there, I'd replace Macc too. But what this team really needs is a proven football guy to be President/Head of Football Ops who can decide on the fate of both and has a vision for building this team into a Super Bowl contender in a passing league.

7. ColoradoContrails

And I should also add that seeing the job that Dorsey has done in Cleveland rubs salt in the wound. I know that he's the beneficiary of some very high draft picks prior to his arrival, but still. When the Browns leapfrog you in rebuilding there is something terribly wrong.

JetBlue, KurtTheJetsFan and NCJetsfan like this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

I couldn't agree more!

9. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

They both need to go. This team needs a fresh start and Macs drafts have been highly questionable and way too many misses. Especially after round 1. Leonard Williams being only an average player drafted in the top 6 doesn’t make him look any better as well.

tomdeb likes this.
  10. Endlessly Counting

Mahomes + Andy Reid > Mahomes + Bowles or Darnold + Bowles, for that matter, but that's no surprise

what's disappointing is Adams + Bowles =0

11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm surprised that you didn't have the option for hiring a President of Football Operations and let him decide. Also, imo option #1 is the same as #4 and #2 is the same as #5.

LAJet and Ralebird like this.
  12. ColoradoContrails

I was trying to keep it simple and focused on whether they should change the current regime. I am in favor of a Pres. of Football Ops, especially with the Johnsons owning the team. And if they fire Bowles but keep Macc I would want a Pres. overseeing him.

13. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

It might not be a popular opinion around here, but I think Mac is a bad GM. He's gotten us one good player to build around in Leo who isn't even that great. Posters here like to list every guy on our roster and say they're talented, but anyone impartial would laugh their heads off at that. A good coach isn't going to come here with Mac in charge, so we'll be stuck with another inexperienced coordinator and get the same mediocre at best results. We need to fire both of them and hire someone who knows what he's doing. E.g. John or Jim Harbaugh, Bill Polian, Mike Tomlin, Sean Payton, etc. With Darnold I think we can get one of those guys if any of them become available, but we have to give him total control.

tomdeb likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

I know that you're in favor of a Pres. of Football Ops. That's why I was so surprised that you didn't include it. You could have included it and omitted options #1 and #2, as they are identical with #s 4 & 5. Only mentioning one and not the other assumes that the other would keep his job.

15. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I think much too much importance is given to the thought that certain coaches would not want to come here for any reason. There are 32 of these jobs available in the world; if you've made football your life work you want one of those 32 jobs.

KurtTheJetsFan and NCJetsfan like this.
  16. ColoradoContrails

Well I think one of the mods amended my original post to add the "replace" options, but since they also corrected my typo in the original post heading I wasn't going to complain.:p

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. NCJetsfan

Bill Polian doesn't know what he's doing any more. He's senile. His last couple of years as Colts GM were Idzik level bad.

While I'm MUCH less happy with Mac than I was, and he has made his share of mistakes, he has also made some very good moves, and I disagree that no good coach is going to come here if Mac is here. Most coaches know nothing about college scouting, have no contacts, etc. Someone has to be here that has experience with scouting and running the draft. The HC can always be given final say so over who is drafted and any personnel moves. Mac isn't stupid. I think he could learn something about evaluating positions such as WR, OL and edge rusher from a guy like Harbaugh and how he wants his team built. Neither Tomlin, Payton, nor the Ravens' Harbaugh are going to be available. Our only shot may be stealing the other Harbaugh away from U of Mich.

LAJet and HomeoftheJets like this.
  18. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

It's all I want for Christmas. All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth. I got so old waiting for something good to happen, they fell out.

19. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Not Polian then. If the new football guy wants to keep Mac, that's fine but nobody's going to come here knowing Mac is in charge.

20. NCJetsfan

And with a great young FQB prospect like Sam, a ton of cap space, and a number of fast, very good young players on the D (Williams, Adams, Maye, Williamson, and maybe even Lee if he is used correctly), and some decent offensive tools, there is something to work with. There's very little dead weight and this should be a team primed for a dramatic upturn with some discipline and coach who is aggressive and doesn't tolerate any foolishness.

#20 NCJetsfan, Sep 23, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2018