Judging Sam After 3 Games is idiotic!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Sep 23, 2018.

1. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

Already there are posters comparing Sam to Sanchez. Give me a break. Only three games into the season 2 of which Sam played fairly well and I still don't believe the negative Sam posts. The two losses we had weren't on Sam. A rookie QB needs support from the team not penalties & fumbles & drops. The play calling both offense & defense has been bad. Sam needs to be placed in the best situations with play calling to be successful.... he's a rookie & you can't expect him to carry the team when the play calling is suspect. The Browns game I can't remember seeing Sam throwing to a wide open receiver. The WR's didn't get any separation that game. People judged the Browns by their past years performance not by this years performance & roster. Lets not forget that the Browns gave Drew & Ben fits & should have won those two games. So Chill out on the Sam judging already and comparison to Baker & Sanchez, his team & coaching staff has not done him justice with mistakes & play calling and I don't expect things to change against Jaguars unless this coaching staff & players have some sort of rude awaking this week. Our defense was lights out in first half & non existent in the second half. Lets get it together for 4 quarters and get back the killer instinct we had in the first game.

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I would also say that if they don't figure out how to help Sam more he's at risk of getting hurt and/or developing some bad habits that will retard his development. This is the main reason I want Bowles fired now.

3. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

All one has to do is look at Goff's development in LA and how it turned after Fisher was canned. New system installed, new coaches to teach it, better talent to execute it. The results on the field should convince anyone of this glaring need here in NY/NJ. Bottom line? We need to get much better at scouting, drafting, COACHING and game planning. Just about everything really....

#3 Cman68, Sep 23, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
    papapump, cgrec, Brook! and 3 others like this.
  4. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

Yes...And, let's pump the brakes on Mayfield and now it appears Josh Allen, until teams get a chance to get them on tape and actually develop a game plan to stop them.

5. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Mayfield will be the next young QB to drastically upgrade his game once Jackson is replaced. Mayfield has one huge advantage and that would be his GM.. I would imagine Allen isn't far behind as they can't possibly be thinking about keeping their present HC.

Red Menace and ColoradoContrails like this.
  6. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

There will always be complainers but until they bring some substance rather than unrealistic expectations why should anyone care?

7. Ghost50

Ghost50 Well-Known Member

leading the league with the most interceptions due to bad passes will draw criticism :cool:

jets_fan and 94Abraham like this.
  8. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

Call a spade for a spade but you’re delusional if you can’t admit that some of his decisions are highly questionable. 3 of his 5 INTs are just horrible decisions and he could of had quite a few more if the other DBs didn’t have stone hands. No one is expecting him to carry this team but he flat out needs to stop making Sanchez like throws and people will stop the comparisons. He deserves blame as well and being a rookie doesn’t just automatically give you a free pass if you play like shit as well.

Ghost50 likes this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

Yes, he shouldn't be absolved of any criticism, but his mistakes need to be taken in context with the shit OL, WR, play calling that puts more pressure on him to make plays. The good news is that he doesn't back down and is a fighter, but he can't operate in these conditions without the risk of it affecting him long term.

BomberJet likes this.
  10. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

The difference is that MS was making the same bad plays 5 years into his NFL career.

Sam has 3 games under his belt and a terrible oline. He has shown himself to be a good decision maker when given time to go through progressions.

He’s also trying to make things happen for the team which leads young QBs to force throws that shouldn’t even be attempted.

11. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

The 3 INTs I’m talking about have nothing do with the Oline and all about him not reading a defense and throwing right to a defender. You can slam the Oline all you want but a perfect Oline isnt going to help him read defenses better. He is getting fooled right off the bat and throwing right to them. People were concerned by his high INT numbers in college and he’s done nothing to suppress that so far here with these head scratching throws.

12. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

A rookie quarterback, young at that, needs all the help he can get - which Darnold is not. I don't know whether to point the finger at his QB coach who has not prepared him for the NFL game or his Offensive Coordinator who is not giving him a game plan that can be most effective and not expose him to the traps defenses will try to bait him into.

Oh, wait a second...

13. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

A common pattern on a message board is to take the most extreme posts and ascribe them to the general view. A couple of people say Darnold is like Sanchez and all of a sudden anyone who says something bad about Darnold is overreacting. A couple of people say that Mayfield has proven that he's better than Darnold and all of a sudden anyone who notes how well Mayfield played on Thursday is overreacting. I suggest not overreacting to the overreactions.

It is to me indisputable that Darnold has not looked good the last two games, and looked particularly bad on Thursday, with bad decisions being part of the problem. Hopefully he'll get better, but until he does he hasn't.

14. TrojanPride

TrojanPride Active Member

Lol, this is more the Jets fans we've come to expect. Rookie QBs rarely show anything of promise their rookie year, the highly drafted QBs don't ever go to good teams.

With Sam, there will always be interceptions, and he's young with not a lot of experience playing QB.....patience, that's who you drafted.

15. The interceptions dont bother me.Thats been programmed into us by Horrid QB play & the fact that relying on no turnovers/defense has been our only means of on field success.

If hes a gunslinger like he showed signs of being against Miami but he throws one more TD & we win the game i have zero complaints.This is supposed to beva gunslinger.If you expect Close to the vest check down type of QB play look elsewhere.let him be who he is.Im more worried about the lack of big plays downfield & the lack of points being generated. My fear is that Sam’s head coach wants him to be that close to the vest QB i alluded to earlier in this post.

Cman68 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  16. ColoradoContrails

Namath threw lots of picks; so did Elway; so did Farve; to name three HOFers. If Sam is close to them in the positive aspects I'll be thrilled. Judging him after 3 games like he should be an experienced QB, and playing for a competent team, is unreasonable.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  17. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

It’s ok for him to be fooled, he’s going up against NFL coverages that he’s never seen before. If he continues to be fooled by the 12th game into the season by the same coverages then I would be concerned.

18. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

I know enough not to judge Sam with an incompetent coach like Bowles. Will hold on to judge him.

Cman68 and Red Menace like this.
  19. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

The problem is an organization which has losing down to a science, not their rookie qb.

20. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Um, I actually admired the constraint around here. Typically we judge draft picks after 3 minutes from the time the name is called.