Well Boys. What do we do from here?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by TurkJetFan, Sep 21, 2018.

1. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

That's actually a really good counterpoint NC. I had forgotten that things went South between him and the Niners at the end. It does seem odd that they would want to part with a guy who had that much success there. Maybe it's a personality thing with him? Maybe he wouldn't be cut out for the New York market. I think I would take a stab at it though.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Maybe that's what this team needs...an asshole as HC. Being an asshole seemed to work pretty darned well for Parcells.

ColoradoContrails, CBG and Cman68 like this.
  3. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

The issue was pretty simple actually, there was friction between then GM Baalke and Harbaugh about the direction of the team and what was needed to keep team successful.

The president/ceo backed the GM and fired Harbaugh. They backed the wrong guy and the Niners have not recovered from it.

Balkee was fired 2 years later.

I would take Harbaugh on the Jets in a heartbeat.

4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I was just gonna mention that. Evidently being a nice guy doesn't work in Florham Pk. Harbaugh would ask for God powers and that's the only stumbling block I could see in this.

CBG likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

Thanks, Red. Don't think I ever knew what the deal was there, but if I did, I had completely forgotten.

6. Cman68

If that is the case, Woody's dual track leadership structure could work. Harbaugh calls the shots, Macc makes it happen.

Red Menace likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

You're right that he probably would ask for "God" powers. You know what? It can't be any worse than this sham of an organizational setup we have now. We haven't tried that since Parcells. Maybe it's time to try that again. Mac could stay on and take a back seat since he has the background in scouting and knows scouts and Harbaugh doesn't. Maybe he'd learn something from Harbaugh. For certain, I think Harbaugh would focus on the offense and the team would be disciplined.

8. Red Menace

No problem, I work with a guy who is a lifelong Niners fan and he’s the reason why I know some of this. He was angry when Harbaugh was let go because of the same reason we are discussing with regards to who will replace Bowles.

He didn’t believe there was a HC that could replace Harbaugh and he also believed Harbaugh was the type of HC that could overcome having a roster with lesser talent.

9. Cman68

See my post above yours... :)

10. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

YES YES YES !!!!

11. Red Menace

While I thought Mangenius wasn’t given enough time, the jets really need a young OC who can grow with Darnold. Shannahan was the guy I really wanted for Jets.

Don’t know if there is anyone available right now who compares to Shannahan.

What about Todd Haley? Would you guys be open to him being HC? I’m just thinking of a possible experienced OC who can help the development of Darnold and jets offense as well as stay in as HC for the next 4 years.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. Cman68

I will say this... If Harbaugh even hints at an NFL return, we'd better move fast with a truck load of both money and power. We have a very proactive GM in Dorsey up in Cleveland that will move heaven and earth to get a Harbaugh to replace Jackson and he'll move fast. Macc might be just a tad too slow or comes with a mediocre offer and if that happens, Cleveland becomes an instant power while the Jets become a footnote....Again...

13. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

No one scared that Harbaugh’s personality is not s fit here? I know I am although I do think his potential is extremely high and may just be worth the risk.

At this point I’d prefer David Shaw and Darnold Just May be enough to tempt him to leave the college ranks. I’m not sure he would but I’m also not sure Harbaugh would leave either.

If not one of those two it’s back to the unproven coordinator route and Difillipo and LaFleur would be top of the list, either I’d be ok with and hopefully they’d bring in an experienced defensive guru. One of them with say Greg Williams doesn’t sound so bad.

14. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

DeFillipo? He had a role in turning Wentz into top 5 QB last year.

Red Menace likes this.
  15. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

That's the kind of turn of events - like BB going to the Pats - that could send this franchise into the cesspool for another decade or two.

I'll tell you what. If something like this happens, or the Jets aren't proactive in getting things turned around IMMEDIATELY, I'm done.

NCJetsfan and Cman68 like this.
  16. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Yes Shaw is interesting but I want a veteran coach.

17. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

I think they will be. I mean look how proactive they were in going after Mack. Mac and ownership knows that window of opportunity is about to open up with all that cap space we have. I would be shocked if they don't pull out everything to get him

Plus other intriguing guys may free up at end of season. Bill O'Brien perhaps. Kind of interested in Jack Del Rio too...wherever he is

18. NCJetsfan

I remember that a lot of guys here don't like Haley, but at this point, I'm open to about anything or anyone besides another former DC or a first-time HC.

Red Menace likes this.
  19. NCJetsfan

O'Brien hasn't done squat in Texas, and his decisions regarding QBs haven't been exactly stellar. While he would be preferable over a first timer or former DC, he would be way down my list of priorities.

I used to like Del Rio, but not any longer. He's failed twice as a HC, and I don't think he showed any signs of having learned anything the 2nd time around. He's a former DC. No thanks.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

What do we do from here? The same thing we do every year at this point: start talking about how management is going to screw up the 2019 draft, regardless of how many high picks they have. Wait, no 2nd Rounder next season (due to Darnold trade), which will probably end up being a high one. Probably doesn't make any difference, since they would have wasted that pick as well.