#FireBowles

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JethroTull, Jan 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

How does wanting the team to win equate to being entitled to win.

And if you haven’t seen the things Bowles has done that indicates he’s a bad coach you may simply not know what a good or bad coach is to even participate in the discussion.

2. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Lack of evidence of something happening is not evidence that it is happening or will happen in the future. I gave several very specific examples of evidence that he is a bad coach. How about some evidence that he is a good one beyond circumstantial evidence ("Fitzpatrick had a career year and the Jets went 10-6", as some people have said, conveniently ignoring that the next year Fitzpatrick was horrible and the team went 5-11; that's evidence of luck, not skill)?

Criticizing a poster (not me, someone else) for bringing nothing intelligent to the discussion and making a lazy post and then saying this nonsense is the height of irony and hypocrisy. Seriously.

#1142 statjeff22, Sep 22, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
    Ralebird, NYJetsO12 and CBG like this.
  3. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

" Oh God can we fire Todd "

Jets81 likes this.
  4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

It doesn’t matter if Bowles “wants to win”- whatever that means. In some ways it doesn’t even matter if the team is prepared to win (and he’s had problems with that as well).

A Bowles’ coached team is going to struggle winning even if they are the better, more prepared team because he has no sense of risk and time management that modern NFL coaches have. In game decision making is a huge part of winning at the professional level.

Bowles is always going to lose close games because he makes the wrong decisions with the game on the line. When he was a rookie coach, you thought maybe he would learn. It’s year 4, same mistakes. Time to move on

5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Yea but that same agency got Seattle John Schneider. That was the reasoning behind using them.

Red Menace likes this.
  6. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

that Tommy Petty line " even the losers get lucky sometimes " had nothing to do with us

7. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I disagree
    [​IMG]

8. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Yes I know , I see you have disagreed a lot lately.

FJF likes this.
  9. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

The real question is: "Why is Todd Bowles so highly ranked around the NFL?" That is what we hear at least. I don't see why though. He coached the secondary most of his coaching career. Was an interim head coach in Miami when they were terrible. Then went back to coaching the secondary with the Eagles. Got the Defensive Coordinator job with the Cardinals, where they played well, but he had great players and coached under a great coach in Bruce Arians. Then he became the Jets coach and has been pretty awful doing that. So I am not sure where the respect from the NFL has come from. Maybe the Parcells connection from Dallas? He is currently (21-30) as Jets Head Coach. That includes (10-6) his first year, so (11-24) since. 0 playoff appearances too. Somehow Woody and now Christopher love him. Thoughts?

HomeoftheJets, Ralebird and NYJetsO12 like this.
  10. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

The NFL is an old boys' network, and Bowles is an NFL lifer (first as a player, then as a coach). Those NFL lifers praise each other, and seldom shit on another lifer. Hey, you never know who'll be in a position to give you your next job. The old-boys' network will shit on an outsider like Chip Kelly, but not on one of their own. And, as mentioned, having a guy like Parcells in your corner never hurts, and Parcells is very loyal to guys who worked for him.

The larger questions are these:

1. Name one aspect of coaching that Bowles does exceptionally well.

2. If he's fired at the end of the year, does anyone reasonably expect he will be hired as head coach by some other team?

The Dark Knight and NYJetsO12 like this.
  11. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

Poor motivator, poor disciplinarian, and a poor tactician, this combination makes for a terrible head coach.

12. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Well he is well respected from his work prior to coming here, and then he had the fluke first year and that seemed to cement everyone's high opinion of him. Couple that with what I believe is a "patient" approach by the Johnsons, believing that eventually the light bulb will go on. The fact that neither Johnson really knows football, and failing to hire someone with experience to oversee things for them, they apparently don't see the issues that have plagued this team under Macc & Bowles.

Or. maybe Bowles is really good, and just hasn't had the right personnel, and Chris and Woody know this and are just waiting for everything to click.:rolleyes:

The Dark Knight likes this.
  13. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Yes ..If I want to hear something intelligent I'll be sure to bypass your homer posts..seriously

Take it from the rest us tough guy..sometimes you need to hear what your saying and bite the "Bullit"

#1153 NYJetsO12, Sep 22, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
  14. IBLEEDGREEN17

IBLEEDGREEN17 Well-Known Member

15. impure

impure Well-Known Member

Why is he still the coach? Should have been fired immediately after the game

16. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

And be replaced by whom? That's the problem. There's no one on his staff competent to be even an interim head coach.

17. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I'm still assuming that he's going to get the entire season (or at least almost all of it) to make his case to stay. First and foremost he has to show that he and Bates can be "Darnold Whisperers" - if Darnold hasn't firmly established himself as on his way to FQB land they are all out for sure. If they do that I'm not really sure if the Johnsons will demand that other things have been changed or they're out.

One of my biggest fears is that they'll keep him next year only because they were such idiots as to give him a two-year extension (I understood one year, but never two). This year doesn't have to be a disaster even if none of the bad changes, if Darnold gets his feet under him. With no viable replacement around it's hard to see how they can replace him before the end of the season anyway, but my biggest fear is that brainless playcalling and no team leadership will make this a wasted year for Darnold, too.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  18. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Since it seems tonight is the night for "lazy posts," I'll just cut and paste my reply to DWC from September 6 (experience since then has only served to highlight my position) which required a bit more input than I'm willing to apply tonight. Unfortunately he departed before having a chance to reply. It's all a matter of perspective.

DefenseWinsChampionships said:
    Keep shoving the 1st three years of Bowles down our throats and I'll continue to emphasize the importance of..

Tom Landry:
    9-28 after first 3 years (.243%). 0-11-1, 4-9-1, 5-8-1

Chuck Noll: 12-30 after first 3 years (.285%). 1-13, 5-9, 6-8

Weeb Ewbank: 13-22 after first 3 years (.371%) 3-9, 5-6-1, 5-7

Marv Levy: 19-29 after first 3 years (.395%). 4-12, 7-9, 8-8

Jimmy Johnson: 19-29 after first 3 years (.395%). 1-15, 7-9, 11-5

Dick Vermeil: 18-26 after first 3 years (.409%). 4-10, 5-9, 9-7

Bill Belichick: 20-28 after first 3 years (.416%). Same exact record as Todd Bowles. 6-10, 7-9, 7-9 (Not 10-6, 5-11, 5-11)

Bill Walsh: 21-27 after first 3 years (.437%). 2-14, 6-10, 13-3

Mike Shanahan: 16-20 after first 3 years (.444%). 7-9, 1-3, 8-8

Bill Parcells: 22-25 after first 3 years (.468%). 3-12, 9-7, 10-6

All saying hello.

And with that said I've just presented a much better case for Todd Bowles than any of you have EVER presented against Bowles as a head coach.

YOUR CIRCUS - YOUR MONKEYS!

You laid them out here, so let's forget about cumulative record since no team has ever gone to a playoff game because of what they did a year or two before the current season. Cumulative record does not mean squat! Added above are the records for each coach for their first three seasons.

What I have added to your list is honesty and perspective, the kind of perspective that helps us judge coaches. Since these are the coaches you hand picked let's look at exactly what those coaches did in their first three seasons. EVERY SINGLE ONE HAD A THIRD YEAR BETTER THAN THEIR FIRST! That's right - every single one. That means that NONE had a team that won only half as many games in season three as they did in season one, not even close!. Only two had a single year worse than the one before it.

So what's the difference between those on your list and Todd Bowles? They all showed PROGRESS while Bowles has gone in the opposite direction.

There's my case for Bowles not being able to carry a jock for any of these guys and the wrong guy for continuing as Jets head Coach - let the lame excuses begin!

PS - Thanks for making this even easier than I thought it would be. I was going to calculate the improvement percentage in each guy's record to compare to the minus 50% for Bowles but that would just be piling on.

Edited to add: I have just noticed that you're going to spend a couple of weeks on the beach so that should give you plenty of time to figure out why progress means nothing and going backwards is just as good as moving forward - continuity, perhaps?

19. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Because he’s nice, polite, says the right things and the real reason is he’s AA

These guilty elite rich white men love to feel like they are atoning for the sins of their fathers.

See “trading places” for simple explanation

20. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

This is your final warning. Your dog whistle days are over here at TGG.com. Your next one will be your last one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.