Is the season over?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by RobA, Sep 21, 2018.

1. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

Serious question. If we lose to Jax (likely) we are 1-3 going into a 3 game stretch with Denver, Indy, and Minnesota. All at home, but still...

I'm talking from a playoff run perspective. Even last year we were 3-2 to start the year which gave us confidence early. This would be the first time in awhile that I felt like we had no chance to make a run this early in the season.

boozer32 likes this.
  2. twown

twown Well-Known Member

For us to have a chance, something miraculous would have to happen with our O-line.

Royal Tee, Cman68 and BomberJet like this.
  3. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

The season is about developing Sam

Getting a high draft pick

And flushing toilet Bowles

So it’s not over by any means.

4. RobA

Again, from a playoff run perspective.

5. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

as far as making the playoffs sure but that should have never been the expectations ... week one was an illusion ... the lions must be the worst lol. we were never gonna win more than 6 games this year anyway in all honesty ... like LI says this year was all about developing our QB not that we have a clue on how to do that

6. Jetsfansince95

we're gonna be 2 - 6 after 8 weeks

7. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

Pretty much. We were never going to make the playoffs anyway, but now it's pretty clear that Bates and Bowles have no idea of how to develop a QB, so that portion of the season is already looking like it could turn out to be a waste as well.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  8. Whatever shows Bowles the door & sets Darnold up for prosperity for 2019 & beyond is all that matters.

9. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

The Jets were never going on a playoff run, so by that definition the season was over before it started. A much better gauge of anything beyond developing Darnold was always "Will the Jets still be playing remotely meaningful games in December?" By that criterion the Jets better be better than 2-5 after that stretch or the answer will likely be no.

MoWilkBeast and Harpua like this.
  10. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

As many have already said in this thread, we were never really planning on a playoff run this year with a brand new 21 yo QB and a rebuilt, young roster. The big thing is seeing Darnold learn and grow. As well as the other guys on this team.

This is another reason why Mac coming up short in these drafts pisses me off to no end. This is the kind of year I would want to see a lot of young talented draft picks take their lumps, grow and get better heading into '19. However Mac botches way too many picks for this to even happen.

If I see Darnold cut down on the bad turnovers and keep progressing, along with the other young guys, then it won't be a total lost season to me.

boozer32, jonnyd and FJF like this.
  11. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

you lost me when u said "first time in awhile"

IMO this is shaping up to be a typical jet season.

but so what - as long as darnold doesn't morph into david carr we should be OK

12. SettlerDawg

SettlerDawg Well-Known Member

Wait, you thought the Jets were making the playoffs this year, and last year as well?

boozer32 likes this.
  13. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Stop. "Playoff run" and "perspective" don't belong on the same page here and never did. Even the pinball wizard knew that.

14. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

15. RobA

That's why we watch the games. I'll always believe our team can win it all. Last year we were 3-2 up 14-0 nothing on the Pats. Yes, I believed then and continued too until we lost to the Bucs.

16. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Harpua likes this.
  17. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Whether this team looks bad right now or not, to say this season is over, in regards to playoffs, is crazy imo. Especially that we are only 3 games in. Yes we are 1-2 but let's not forget a few things:

New England does not look like the powerhouse they once were. Miami is currently in first place.

This team has shown what it is capable of on Monday night against Detroit.

We still have talented playmakers on offense and Darnold is learning more and more each week.

The only thing that really concerns me is the offensive line. If we can somehow find a way to protect Darnold better, we can win more games. Getting into the playoffs won't be as tough in the AFC as it is in the NFC.

I'll look at it all at the midpoint. If we still look this bad and have 2 maybe 3 wins, I'll call it over.

18. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Jetsfansince95

you forgot our head coach ... that said looking at our schedule I can't see us starting better than 2 - 6

boozer32 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  20. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

Just take it week to week, and don't focus on the record. Jets are 0-0 in week 4 this season. Each week I'm looking to see the team take a step forward or show me something that is a sign of progress. After the season is over you can evaluate every position and all the coaches. Right now, we are 3 weeks in the season and just beginning the evaluation of this 2018 team. So let's try to enjoy the process as the Jets prepare for the Jaguars, who are one of if not thee best team in the AFC. This game will tell us more about the 2018 Jets and how they respond to adversity. I'm looking forward to it. I want to see this Jets team, which means the players and the coaches, learn to close teams out when they got a lead. Got to stop playing and coaching scared. Play to win the game.