Bates Playcalling

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by TurkJetFan, Sep 19, 2018.

1. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

And you could see it in the quarterback. He was scared as well.

Red Menace and FJF like this.
  2. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

3. mattyd99

mattyd99 Well-Known Member

I hate the team bashing through the press, good teams don't do that, but I don't blame Quincy at all. That may have been the most simple, plain, predictable game I've ever seen called. That was an embarrassment. We ran maybe 3 run plays and 3 pass plays. Unreal. I get it was a short week and a rookie QB, but come on. Did Sam throw a pass over 10 yards before the last 2 drives? I've had it with this coaching staff, it's a joke yet again.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  4. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

Dear Grand Master Bates,

Your Oline is a sieve and your poor quarterback looks like a deer in the headlights. You have no fullback, and constantly seem to be running 4 wide-out sets with no protection for the young man.

The sisters and I have come up with a solution for you. We found this new-fangled play called a "screen pass" - no not the wide receiver screen you silly boy. This one actually goes to the halfback and uses the other teams pass rush against them. Crazy huh?

If you don't know what a screen pass is, you can just Google it. There are videos of screen passes all over youtube. While you're at it, you probably should Google "draw play", you know, just for haha's.

Sincerely,

Sister Sanchize and Sister Gee-Nope
    Monastery of the Perpetual Pushovers

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  5. Jetsruby

Jetsruby Well-Known Member

I hated the play calling as well.

What really irked me was the WR screen on the 2 min drive at the end of the game. YOU NEED A TD IN LESS THAN 2 MINS AND YOU CALL A WR SCREEN!?!??!?!

I really think Darnold will digress if they keep calling shit plays for him. They NEED to open up the playbook for him. He's gonna make mistakes, but he's making them anyway now. At least he gets to experiment with deeper throws. It's like the OC has absolutely no trust in the QB or any WR except Enunwa. Enunwa is good...but we can't win with just WR screens to him. Its obvious that the ball is going his way and we NEED to spread it out.

Also the 2nd and 10 run is one of my least favorite plays. Consistently puts the QB in 3rd and long positions.

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  6. Jetsruby

Jetsruby Well-Known Member

At least schotteheimer took deep shots with Sanchez. Sanchez' career started out with mistakes but it was better than this because they let him throw it. I'm not saying Sanchez is better than Darnold could be, but it's worrying when you might be starting to think Rex Ryan, who messed up Mark Sanchez' development, knew how to grow a QB more than this coaching staff.

I said it before. I hate Todd's in game-management but I like his demeanor off the field. My opinions on him were still not fully formed...but I gotta say...after last night I'm starting to tip to the "Fire Bowles" side.

Bowles said he didn't want to make any adjustments when Baker came in. He did not accept blame for the teams immaturity and penalties. They have come out flat twice. When up, instead of keeping the foot on the pedal, they played prevent offense which killed our chance at winning, like games in the past. When asked about it after, he said he didn't think the offense played conservative. He also said he liked the offensive gameplan.

I can't accept that type of thinking. If he doesn't recognize how terrible that game plan was...he might not be the right guy.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Bills run a fake WR screen, send the “blocker” on a fly route after the hard pump fake for an easy touchdown.

I hope Bates is watching football on his day off

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  8. Really have no bias against Bates as he at least understands x’s & o’s while being a respected QB guru. He doesnt have a great track record as an OC but time will tell if hes learned from past mistakes.

The process of him becomming OC really irked me.It reeked of Bowles not wanting to go outside the organization for a 3rd time in 3 years to hire someone in an area that clearly isnt his strength.The fact that Bates supposedly turned down the job when first offered & was later talked into it.IDK the whole thing rubs me the wrong way. Once again it seems like the side of the ball that actually scores points is getting glossed over.

9. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Where are all the guys who were overjoyed that the nonproductive QB coach of the past became the Offensive Coordinator and kept his QB coach designation as well? How's that working out? Whatever came of all the subjective nonsense of the "brightest offensive mind" without a shred of evidence? Why would the brightest call a cross-field pass for a rookie, deep in his own territory to initiate him to the NFL? Where is the history that even slightly indicates that Bates was the best guy for the job, or even in the top one hundred? Is anyone able to point to anything at all that has been promising thus far?

SOJAZ and NYJetsO12 like this.
  10. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Brightest mind is a relative term. You, splitter of all hairs, should be able to understand that.
    I have no problem believing he is the brightest offensive mind in the building, not sure If that’s like being the skinniest kid at fat camp at this point though

11. Ralebird

You're right - it's all subjective nonsense. There's nothing there and it looks like there never was. Am I missing something that could have been construed as success in his past?

12. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I’m guessing they liked what went on between him and mccown. It’s twally not hard to understand if you want to. If you are just looking to be a contrarian, that’s probably pretty easy to do too.
    You can respond back but I’ve already given you more attention than I care to. Enjoy your Sunday

13. Ralebird

Who knows what went on between Bates and McCown? Without Bates mentoring McCown would the Jets have only won three games last year? Sorry - I'm looking for more than that.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  14. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

I'm giving Bates some more games before I label him as a schottenheimer replica. With the jets, if the run game isn't working, no offensive game plan is gonna look good.

15. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

Personally I'd like to see more play action passes. Perhaps that will slow down the pass rush.

16. wampa

wampa Well-Known Member

The big issue this game wasn't that Bates didn't call X play or Y play. It was that it felt like by the end of the first half or so... he'd somehow ran out of play calls, mostly. It felt like he came to Cleveland with a certain set of plays and didn't have anything else left in the toolbox.

I can list any of the things I'd have liked to see: play-action following some of the successful running plays in our "run left" drive phase, (especially when a decent portion of them seemed to be TFLs) some shots down the field on second-and-manageable, halfback screens or (even!) a ghetto shovel-pass to try and take advantage of a defense that seems to want to pin its ears back and rush the passer, sprint/smash-7 to try and take advantage of Darnold's mobility... I could go on. Not doing all of this isn't an issue, but not doing any of this - or something else with similar effects, he's the professional OC! - is an issue. Very much felt like he'd ran out of ways to try and expose the Browns defense past a certain point.

Yes, our OL was getting beat up front and that limits what you can do effectively. But it somehow felt like our offense restricted itself in "conceptual space" to short passes and a few stretch runs for most of the game.

#76 wampa, Sep 23, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
  17. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

It is unfortunate that in game management is a key to winning. Demeanor rarely is.

18. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Fuck Toilet Bowles

19. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I'm watching other teams playcalling and its not that hard really. They seem to have receivers open all the time for 10-15 yards at a time. Then I look at the Jets and CB are on every Jets WR hip. No separation at all. The Steeler and Packers have been running the very same offense for over a decade. Have no problem scoring or moving up and down the field. The only thing that has changed is the RB/WR/TE. They lose one or two and they always seem to get production from the replacement.

20. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

So, our "skill" positions may not be as strong as was advertised?

boozer32 and HomeoftheJets like this.