Sam Darnold Judgement

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Sep 21, 2018.

1. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

No doubt. Mayfield was slinging it. He has a very tight spiral. That was always somehting he had since college.

Mayfield has a better arm than Darnold, but I'm not worried about Darnolds arm strength.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  2. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

no, it was just noticable

Im sure it was also the fact that Darnold was getting pressured every time he dropped back

3. joe

joe Well-Known Member

And to sweeten the pot Kareem Hunt and Sammy Watkins.

There, there ....easy... . No one's daring to compare Darnold to His Royal Hall-of-FameNess. . : )

Question is what would wonder-arm Mahomes look like in a Jets jersey, .Jeff George?. because the Jets-Chiefs aren't exactly "apples-to-apples" when it comes to offensive talent in general and skill position talent in particular.

KC OL: Mitchell Schwartz and Eric Fischer (a former #1 overall pick) as bookend tackles.
    Jets OL: hot garbage that would stink on ice.

KC TE: Travis Kelce, probably the best in the league after Gronk (minus Gronk's dents 'n dings).
    Jets TE: ZERO TEs of note. ....and yes, that includes that white trash stiff Eric Tomlinson

KC WRs: Tyrek Hill (who along with Kelce NFL's no. 1 tandem in receptions/yards/TDs) and Sammy Watkins, a former top-5 overall pick.
    Jets WRs: a 7th round pick as your primary go-to weapon and a fumble-prone UDFA one-trick-pony.

KC RB: NFL rushing title holder.
    Jets RB: Good journeymen Powell and Crowell.

p.s. offensive HC support: Reid v. Bowles

forget where do I begin? ....more like where does it end?

Red Menace, Jets81 and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  4. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Hi, wahoo, blast from the past, long time, no see. About Mayfield, it's more about people saying how they right they were about his skill set and how wrong everyone else was. So freakin' what. Personally I think the Jets kind of hoodwinked Cleveland into snatching Mayfield, and then couldn't believe their luck when Darnold was there at 3, but if Mayfield turns out to be a world beater, Jesus H, we'll never hear the end of it. All that aside, I was and am thrilled with the Darnold pick, and I'm still kind of in shock over it.

But, yeah, Darnold had a REALLY bad game (as if that's never gonna happen). The play-calling didn't do him any favors and neither did a bunch of idiotic penalties (the Crowell one was the worst, I wanted to strangle him with my bare hands). As far as being concerned about Sam's accuracy, I understand your point and I hear you loud an clear, but I'll be a lot more concerned about it if it hasn't improved all that much by game 16. I'll be VERY concerned if we manage some big upgrades in FA as well as in the draft and by mid-season he hasn't improved dramatically. I think he will - if the Jets don't get him killed first. Anyway, I am far from getting down on him let alone throwing in the towel on him. Too ridiculous for words.

I did just hear him on the radio (a blurb from his presser), and he essentially said his two INTs were all on him and were terrible, but I just have to take it like a man aget better. Essentially everything about last night's game was for shit, but after losing a winnable game to hated Dolphins and then handing the Browns their first win sinnce the end of the Civil War, this team makes it so hard being a fan sometimes. We always have the distinction of being the proud owners of the most embarrassing situations. It's a thing. Oh, well, at least I can mildly comfort myself that Cleveland beat the shit out of the Cheats in 2010 and tore them a new one. With Colt McCoy, lol. 34-14 Browns. That was fun, this wasn't.

5. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I wrote it yesterday, but comparing the 2 last night is ridiculous. It is the same fans who compared Peyton and Brady and just used straight up wins for their evidence. I truly don't get how someone's mind can't comprehend how football works. It is not Peyton vs Brady or Darnold vs. Mayfield.

It is Darnold on the road against a tough Browns Defense that held Roethlisberger and Brees in check, with bad play calling from his OC, no protection from his O-line, dumb ass players taking penalties and fumbling the ball away, and cowardly conservative coaching from his Head Coach vs. Mayfield, who came off the bench, had the whole crowd behind him and team that rallied around him and got to play a defense that was flat out embarrassing in the 2nd Half.

6. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

I don't blame Sam for the loss. The past two weeks was the same thing....bad penalties, Robby fumble. Last week the WR's got open but this game I don't know if Sam had a open receiver all game. The WR's have to start giving Sam a chance. Baker looked real good but most of his WR's were wide open for him. Bates calls plays like he doesn't trust Sam or his WR's to make a play. If you want to see Sam reach his potential he needs help from the whole offense. He isn't going to carry this team as a rookie.

Turning point to this game was the unsportsmanlike penalty on Johnson. We could have had the ball back with 6 minutes left in the half 14-0 lead good field position & Taylor never would have gotten knocked out of the game. We were manhandling them up until that point. Instead Baker came in, our defense shut down and it was and the rest is history. Wear did the pass rush go? We stopped blitzing fell back in zone & let Baker & his WR's pick us apart. The team looked like they said OK we're up 14 points, now we can coast threw the rest of the game. The killer instinct we showed in game 1 never showed up for game 3.

7. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Agreed. Well said.

8. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Before we bury this guy. Lets take many things into consideration.

1. It's game 3. Relax. When the season ends the Browns D will be a top 10. Darnold didn't play great but we didn't lose because of him. Anderson's fumble. D penalities. Etc. Playcalling. Not taking shots down the field. They protected him too much last night. maybe they had to in fear that d would hurt him.

2. He's a rookie. They're going to have bad games. We're not a Super Bowl team. We still need pieces. it's all about Darnold's growth and other players getting better. Lets look at him the end of October. It'll be a tough stretch with games against Jacksonville, Denver and Minnesota. We need to see growth.

3. Look at some of these rookie stats. I remember Eli vs. the Ravens his first year. He looked awful. Took lumps in that game. Peyton Manning in year one. All those picks. http://www.nfl.com/player/peytonmanning/2501863/gamesplits?season=1998 Aikman even said last night his third game he was 6 of 20 with four picks.

It's part of the process. Relax. Go in with low expecatations let the year play out and lets play some next year and figure it out from there (that being said it's been a long time since the playoffs and we had a fun season. I want to win now too, but be realistic. I understand the concern and being upset. Give it time). At this point next year if he is like this then we should worry.

9. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Darnold was both good and bad last night. I don't see any problem at all playing him. The NFL is a league of adjustments. The Browns had tape on Darnold and now the league has tape on Mayfield. There have been plenty of great QB's who struggled and there have been plenty of nobodies who came off the bench to look great until the first and second adjustment.

Short week on the road. The team looked out of gas in the second half. What was most concerning was Crowell. The team should definitely at the least fine and suspend him for a game or two. Sam is fine. He doesn't look panicked why should we?

Red Menace and joe like this.
  10. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

What happened last night was game planning and game management primarily. Of course the players were idiots. The fatigue thing is also coaching. The Browns played Sunday, too

11. Jets777

Jets777 Member

We dont have studs our WR and TE and RB. We need draft the top WR and Pass Rush next summer. We need sign the top wr by FA next summer.. we need to get better weapons our scores by WR and TE and RB.

12. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

Good to talk again with you bro. As usual you make all solid points. I can’t help but get concerned (50 year fan syndrome) when I see a jets qb struggle. But you’re right, it’s wait and see. And in no way was I burying the kid, just voicing an observation. Hell, who knows he may actually give us some enjoyment this season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Much of what you say is true. I do think we need a reality check. Our OL is bad, our secondary is overrated (I never thought that Johnson was a good signing). I never thought that they'd win over 6-7 games. The Browns have more talent than we do and are better coached.

I never thought Darnold should start the first game of the season due to their being 3 games in 10 days. Most posters screamed that he was ready and should start. They weren't worried about his possibly getting injured or getting his confidence hurt, and thought it would help him. Maybe it will, but I still have my doubts, especially with the way that Bowles is coaching and Bates calling plays. While I eventually mostly came around to their way of thinking (or at least thought that Sam should start), I think in order for it to truly help Sam and not hurt, they have to let him play his game, and not have him or the offense play as if they're afraid or try to make a mere game manager out of him. I definitely think this could mess with Sam's head.

Bates needs to pull his head out of his ass and treat Sam like what he is...a rookie. At the start of each game, Bates should have some easy pass plays scripted to Enunwa, Powell and Kearse (and NOT to Pryor, Anderson, Herndon or Tomlinson) so that Sam gets in a rhythm. He should establish the run to set up play action, and then let Sam throw one deep to Anderson. If it's incomplete or Anderson drops it, call a similar deep route to show confidence in both Sam and Anderson. If the rush is too strong, he needs to make use of draw plays and RB screens to slow down the rush. Perhaps a QB draw or trap plays, again to counter the aggressiveness of the opposing D. The play calling shouldn't fall into patterns and/or be predictable. The ball needs to be spread around to get everyone involved.

Bowles is gonna be Bowles (cowardly, conservative), and I don't think there's any helping him.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No we don't. First and foremost, the OL needs to be fixed so that Sam won't get hurt, so that the Jets can run their offense with confidence, and Sam can have time to read the field. The WRs and RBs we have will be just fine, if the OL gets fixed and Bowles is gone. If Bowles is still here, the offense can still succeed with a strong OL and playing more conservatively. Conversely, if we had All Pros at WR, TE and RB, it wouldn't make a difference with the OL we have as Sam has no time and is running for his life, and with Bowles coaching scared and conservatively.

15. jetophile

That's how long it's been. I'm a bra. ; ) I finally gave up the ghost and didn't renew this year (55 year lifer). And not because of the product on the field. Idiot FO since The New Dump, I finally got fed up. Still getting emails about renewing when they lied to my face. Also got an email a couple of days ago to enter for a chance to win a brand new Porsche. I didn't enter because what's partially behind it is getting people's updated information so they can beg some more.

It was a good observation, too, and I know you're not burying him, but there were more reasons behind the inaccuracy than just simply being inaccurate. Oh, and if the Jets ruin Sam Darnold physically, I'm gonna have to pull a crazy lady and start shooting out windows in a rage with a BB gun at Florham Park. Lots of windows to choose from, and I'll do well even with bad aim. I was dead set against fielding him until the latter part of the season, but opinion on it was very divided.

16. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

The biggest problem on both sides of the ball was that they were Coaching Scared.

Mayfield was throwing behind his receivers, but the Jets were playing over the top coverage from the moment he took the field. Once he picked that coverage apart for an entire drive, you'd think an NFL coaching staff would consider changing it up a little bit....but maybe my expectations are too high.

17. SettlerDawg

SettlerDawg Well-Known Member

The conditions were extremely tough for Darnold, but please don't excuse him from blame. He was partially responsible for yesterday's loss. He's the youngest QB in the league and he's only going to get better.

One thing that Darnold needs to improve is throwing more decisively to his first or 2nd read. He's great at improvising, but he can't keep holding onto the ball for so long each play.

Jets777 likes this.
  18. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

I don't want to bury Darnold I know it wasn't all his fault last night but he doesn't get to walk away blameless.

Two picks in the final two possessions with a chance to win the game? That's almost as bad as Geno's three fourth quarter picks against NE in his rookie season.

I would've liked to have seen him make the Browns sweat/make it more interestingthan that.

I'm looking for signs of greatness with him that doesn't mean he has to be great yet. I'm looking for reasons to believe he's the one sadly last night it wasn't there.

Wahoo likes this.
  19. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I didn't say he escapes without any fault. In fact, I said he has had some piss poor moments and horrible decisions. That's expected as a rookie.

And that second interception to end the game was a given. He threw the ball up for grabs with 12 seconds left and no timeouts.

20. jetophile

Sammy Darnold?

NYJetsO12 likes this.