Sam Darnold Judgement

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Sep 21, 2018.

1. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Like WHAT?

2. Matthew_McBride

Matthew_McBride Active Member

This board is so awesome. 2 games into the season: "Darnold is FQB and we might have a shot as a wildcard"......1 game after that: "Darnold is brain dead, Bates needs to get fired, we should've gotten John Dorsey"...

I know this loss hurt, I watched every minute and felt it coming early on in the game--but let's be real, nobody thinks the Jets are good, nobody except for some Jets fans...maybe we need a reality check to see that this team is in a major rebuild mode--bad OL, no pass rush, overrated secondary, average WRs, a young inexperienced mistake prone QB.....and if all of that is true, why such high expectations?

Darnold is the future, and I think he's going to be really good, but this is going to happen, but y'all are going to drive yourselves crazy if you keep calling for heads after every loss. It's football and the Browns wanted to win too.

3. Matthew_McBride

I wouldn't bench him even if we had Teddy. I think he played conservative, but that's okay. We need a much bigger sample size--this was a great defense we played that made Big Ben and Brees look not so good. So give it half a season instead of 3 games before you start regretting all coaching decisions.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  4. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

He missed some open throws and his first interception was thrown directly into two defenders. You can’t even blame him, he’s the one that is supposed to be making these mistakes. Blame the coaching staff for calling bad plays and not helping him out at all.

Ralebird likes this.
  5. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

For anyone who watches a replay, I’m curious: is it me or is Darnolds snap cadence incredibly easy to pick up on? It’s like he has a tell, “Red 80” hut hut snap. Almost every single time.

That’s the kind of edge the Jets offense can’t afford to give up.

#65 Jets81, Sep 21, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
    Ralebird likes this.
  6. BroadwayAaron

I’m completely on board with this thought process. I think it’s dumb to rush to judgment after three games. But I do think this whole thing could’ve been avoided if we thought it through a little more and the coaching staff and front office who felt the need to put their shiny new toy out there. If for no reason other than the fact that you were asking a brand new player to lead a team in three games in 11 days

7. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

This

He kept his eyes downfield, but was feeling the pass rush way before it was there.

Again, why arent they running RB screens to slow the pass rush down? a 5-step drop and heave down field to keep the safeties back and MAYBE open a seam route?

The playcalling was SO predictable, it's no wonder why the Browns were eating Sam and the (crappy) O-line up

NYJetsO12 and joe like this.
  8. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

He'd look Darnold in a Kansas City Chiefs jersey. He most likely would have better numbers but he would never really "look like Mahomes". Physically he simply CAN'T do what Mahomes can do. This is not a knock but facts. There's less than a handful of QBs that can make the throw below and that's if I'm being generous. Darnold is not one of those QBs. The threat Mahomes' arms presents to a defense forces them to defend deeper down the field which creates space underneath. He's like the Steph Curry of football; you have to guard him at half court if you will. So let's stop with the Darnold could do the same things crap.

[​IMG]

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  9. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Missing open throws? MISSING OPEN THROWS? MISSING OPEN THROWS???

Hitting these could result in what anyway? Shouldn't THAT be the starting point? Because when I watched last night, it was a gigantic clusterfuck of horrible plays.

Seriously, Sam didn't throw ANY pass downfield pass longer than 10 yards. All of Q's 10+ yard passes came from WR screens. And Sam was always passing sideways all fucking game long.

He was spooked? Yeah, he had a reason to be spooked. (And a VERY good one, I would like to add.) Look at how Crowell picked up his reception - Sam was running for his life scanning the field, then he dumped off at the very last minute, as the Browns DL wrapped his arm around Sam's feet. That's been happening all fucking night long. Receivers not named Q is virtually useless, and TEs are complete garbages to put it nicely. His OL is as good as a burning dumpster fire. And that's HIS fault? How?

P.S. If Robby is as fast as everyone here claims, why don't the Jets send him deep? Shouldn't that soften up the coverage? Again, how is [not sending Robby deep] helping Sam?

10. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Fuck anyone that puts this on Darnold. Bates is the dumbest coordinator I have ever seen. Worse then Sparano. No wonder he got kicked to the curb TWICE. I want Morton back :mad::mad::mad:

11. BroadwayAaron

He missed back to back throws from a fairly clean pocket on one drive in the second half. And he’s the 21-year-old, these things are supposed to be happening. That’s why I’m not up in arms over it but he is absolutely deserving of some criticism last night. Overall though the blame goes on the coaching staff more than anyone. Piss poor playcalling and absolutely no discipline.

Also they have been sending Robby deep and Sam either hasnt seen him or hasn’t had the time to get the ball out. But at this point I’m so fucking done with Robby Anderson that I don’t care if they cut him this morning.

12. MenOverGod

MenOverGod Well-Known Member

This is going to be our first game this season where we actually have time to prepare for the game. The Miami and Clev games were both on short rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

The irony of people wanting to start Teddy after we were just beat because a mediocre QB got a concussion and they were forced to play their rookie is hilarious.

14. BroadwayAaron

To be clear, I’m not saying I wish we still had Teddy so that we could bench Sam and put him in. I’m happy we made the trade, it was a fantastic move. I’m saying I would have started either McCown or Teddy for the first few weeks given the schedule and the fact that Sam is a 21-year-old rookie.

15. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

I was in favor of that as well. Just too much expectation to put on the kid. That being said, the reps that he is getting will hopefully mean that he's truly ready next year.

16. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

this was not the same Cleveland team we're used to

Denzel Ward can play! Williams FA could play. Myles can rush.

It could be the case that outside of Enunwa our receivers sucked at creating enough separation. And the HC and OC didn't have the answers

this was not a Sam fail

17. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

so we will lose by 30

18. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I just rewatched our offensive drives from last night. I recorded the game.

Watching it a day later with a little context helps a ton. And I can tell you this, Darnold not only seemed rattled, but it was crystal clear that receivers were not getting ANY separation. I figured this was the case while it was happening, but watching it again the next day, it is completely obvious.

Darnold is very good at scanning the field. He is very good and checking his receivers, he was very good at it in college and he has shown that throughout this season. He was looking off almost every receiver on almost every play. He had to pull throws back a few times and he hesitated many times. He also was running for his life almost the entire game and got hit a large number of times.

He has a lot of blame put on his shoulders but I think it is safe to say the offensive line and coaching did a horrendous job last night

19. Matthew_McBride

I think there are valid points to each side of this discussion. And you may be right that it was rash to start a rookie in a 3 game 11 day stretch. However, (we will only know with time) perhaps this difficult stretch is going to make him stronger and not weaker and that this was a unique experience he would not have gotten had he been sitting. It could ruin him temporarily, or it could empower him.

20. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Noticed that during the game.

Bates Playcalling

Post by: legler82, Yesterday at 11:54 PM in forum: New York Jets