Sam Darnold Judgement

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Sep 21, 2018.

1. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

2. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I'm not going to rehash the passing on Mahomes debate but I will say that they are both "gunslingers" who will take risks with the ball with the big difference that Mahomes will be able to get away with more because of that rare arm talent.

3. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

I am just worried about him going up against the jag's defense. Ugh.

4. F.I.N.S

F.I.N.S Member

Outsiders perspective: He's got really good feet, and has shown capability to extend plays, but his vision of the field is gonna have to improve. He had issues at USC with forcing balls in coverage and throwing INTS. Looking to have the same issues thus far. Still has a lot of potential. Going to need better weapons and better protection to fulfill it though. And perhaps a better coaching staff too.

5. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Didn't you have Mayfield as the worst of the four QBs?

6. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Have to hope that he gets it through his head that it's never a good idea to throw into double coverage down 4 points in the 4th quarter on first down as you're being sacked. It's pretty clear that he's over his head right now when under duress. The Jacksonville game could be incredibly bad. The problem is that right now that's all it is - a hope. It's fine to say he's a rookie and he'll figure it out, and I hope that's true, but so far there's no evidence to support that. If he busts this team could be in the wilderness for years.

7. legler82

I disagree with the field vision issue. In fact, I believe field vision is a strength of his. Darnold sees angles and anticipates at a level very few QBs at his age do. That said, I agree he does force balls into coverage. He at times attempts Favre, Stafford, Rodgers, [cough] Mahomes type passes w/o having the Favre, Stafford, Rodgers, [cough] Mahomes type arm. Hence the Fitzpatric comp.

8. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

There's no evidence to support that he won't figure it out either. It's been three games.

NYJetsO12 and PJ4Ever like this.
  9. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Exactly, but many people keep saying "He's only a rookie, he'll figure it out." Who says? Lack of evidence of something happening is not evidence that it will happen in the future, yet many people continue to act like it is.

Most people don't become franchise quarterbacks, so lack of evidence should imply that it's more likely he won't figure it out than he will. I hope he does, but I have no idea if he will, and neither does anyone else.

10. MowTin

MowTin Active Member

I feel bad for Tyrod Taylor. I can't imagine how bad it must feel when the rookie comes out and wins a game where you were struggling.

legler82 likes this.
  11. legler82

I wasn't in love with any of them. So much so, that I didn't really have a best or worst list. Instead, it was who I would draft order which I based solely on physical talent. Indeed, Mayfield was at the bottom of the top 4 and I believe I had Darnold one spot ahead of him. I rather some other team experiment with the unprecedented move of drafting a 6 footish QB top 3. The Jets couldn't afford to IMO.

Nothing that happened today changed my "ranking" if you want to call it that. Sadly, beating up on the Jets defense is not that impressive to me. Can you imagine if the roles were reversed? How good or poor would Mayfield look in our offense behind our line?

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  12. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

No need for a Mayfield vs Darnold debate. Round 1 goes to Mayfield though. Obviously can't compare them straight up, since Darnold played a tough Browns D and Mayfield played a joke Jets D who was truly pathetic, but a win is a win and I thought Baker looked pretty good for a rookie coming off the bench.

13. jetstopgun

jetstopgun Well-Known Member

I agree except for Quincy he’s getting no help from the receivers at all Robbie Anderson is too busy laying the ball on the ground and Kearse is just getting back..... Quincy seems to be the only Receiver getting open..... and OL not giving him a lot of time if I’m the defense take Quincy away and what does he have???

joe and ColoradoContrails like this.
  14. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

You have no other choice but to try to be patient. This is a rebuilding year and some difficult decisions need to be made about the roster of players and coaches.

15. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Darnold was really the least of my worries this week. Yes, he looked bad but Jesus Christ there were so many things worse than him this week.

1) Bowles is absolutely horrible. I was always 50/50 on him but last pushed me to the edge.

2) the penalties!! A direct indictment on the lack of accountability and discipline on this roster. Last week vs Miami we had two sacks on 3rd down and both were wiped out due to penalties. Last night? The same shit.

3) offensive line. I was advocating the entire week for them to move the pocket but Jesus you still have to get your hat across their body if he’s rolling out. We rolled Sam out and instantly there were guys in his face.

4) Bates - run the ball twice with Powell for monster gains. Okay, good. Let’s Ram it up the middle again. Throw a play action in there and even if you don’t think it’ll be complete just throw it downfield.

5) Robby Anderson my god. Hold on the ball. This guy should not be starting next week. Hold him accountable Todd.

I can go on and on. But sam was definitely the least of my worries.

ColoradoContrails, FJF and cgrec like this.
  16. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

Ok, well we'll see. Expectations are subverted by multiple teams on a week to week basis. That's why you play the game baby.

17. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

If Darnold had tyreke Hill, Travis Kelce, an o line that can block, and maybe the brightest offensive mind as head coach, he'd probably look like Mahomes.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  18. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

Feel like it doesn't even matter who's playing QB for us. We could have Aaron Rodgers under Center and the Jets would still f*** it up.

19. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Sam could have been picked on numerous occasions last night, no arguing that. The alternative would have been throwing the ball away or taking a sack. He didn’t have time to scan the field. He tried to make things happen, but he couldn’t...he was running for his life. He was spooked.

Spread the blame to the OL and receivers here, as well as the OC. It’s already been stated, but there’s nothing happening that we didn’t already expect: bad OL play, sub par receivers, rookie QB.

20. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

This is exactly why I was in favor of starting either McCown or Teddy for the first handful of games. You knew that we were facing two teams with a solid pass rush and you knew that our OL wasn’t going to be up to task. 3 games in 11 days, two of them on the road. Why would we toss a 21-year-old rookie under center for that?

Now you can’t bench him unlesss he gets hurt. He has to play the next 13 games or else what kind of message are you sending? You would kill his confidence and create a stir in the media and we don’t exactly play in the best market for keeping things low key in the media.