Sam Darnold Judgement

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Sep 21, 2018.

1. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Let me start this off by saying, as many of you already know, I think Sam Darnold is our QB of the future. I think he will be a very good QB in this league and I think he is the franchise guy we have been looking for.

Now, I will be the first one to tell you that he has looked good for a 21 year old rookie so far, but he has had some low moments and some piss poor moments. But my question is, who really expected him to not make piss poor mistakes and even lose us some ball games?

This franchise has had a long history of failure. We have had very tough years and bouts of bad coaching and bad decisions from the top down. Patience is running very thin around here and it is completely understandable as to why. But let's ignore the coaching issues for this thread and focus on Darnold, as a player.

It is hard for a rookie to transition into the NFL. It is even harder for a 21 year old rookie. It is 10x harder when you have a piss poor offensive line. We can all agree that the first game of the season was a fluke, but I can tell you this, jumping to the conclusion that he is a bust or choosing him over anyone else was dumb, is ridiculous. The kid has played 3 nfl games. 3.

Tonight against Cleveland he did not win us the game, but he also did not lose us the game. We had piss poor offensive line play and he was running for his life constantly. Did he make dumb ass decisions? Yes he did. But let's let this season play out before we start making decisions on him being a bust or a mistake.

It's a long season with a lot of growing that needs to occur. He is in the best position possible to jump-start that growth. Give him time. I know it's hard as a Jets fan to understand "patience" , but it is required for this situation. There's no other way around it

NJJets20, Harpua, dawinner127 and 5 others like this.
  2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

No intelligent fan would blame Sam tonight. It is pretty clear why the Jets lost. I just feel bad for him honestly.

NYJetsO12, Pepsiguy5, Harpua and 7 others like this.
  3. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

Darnold is the least of my concerns tonight. Loss isn't on him.

4. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I am worried we will ruin him. I know it sounds crazy, but I know think they should let him sit on the bench to prevent the worst from happening. He cant take another 13 games like that and be okay after this year. Let McCown come in and when we are officially out of the playoffs then we can let him play the last 4 games or something. He will outlast a bad coach and offensive line that could end up killing him.

5. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

He was definitely part of the problem and played poorly tonight....Not sure why it’s so bad to state the obvious

Pass blocking not good...play calling/overall playing with a lead philosophy (Bowles/Bates) the number one reason for the loss

6. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

He's going to take his lumps. Browns and Greg Williams have a good D. They made Brees look average and Big Ben look terrible. It's a loss. It happens. Take it, learn from it, and move on.

joe, K'OB, JetsNation06 and 4 others like this.
  7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

We often disagree Falco but I'm 1000% with you on this!

When you have shitty paly calling, a shitty OL, and receivers that can't get open, what do you expect? And of allowed to continue, Sam will be ruined.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  8. MowTin

MowTin Active Member

I'm guessing you've been watching football a long time like me. I can't count how many flash-in-the-pan QB's I've seen. Even if Dornold has a fabulous rookie season I wouldn't be sold.

We just don't know yet. What we do know is that he is he doesn't look ready this season.

jetsknicks1 likes this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Up until tonight I thought it was best for Sam to play. But now, uh uh. As long as Bowles and BAtes are here, put the kids under house arrest and don't let those fuckers near him!

CBG and jetstopgun like this.
  10. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Maccagnans neglect of the oline is what will get him fired.

11. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

The fault is on Darnold? Yeah. He stepped on to the field. That's his mistake.

The play calls were atrocious. They didn't even bother to send a WR down the middle, let alone attempt a pass. All game long. That's on Darnold? Yeah. Right.

So the pass was almost exclusively WR screen to the side, or RB dump off.

And boy. The entire team played scared. I can understand why - Jets offense will struggle mightily this year when the opposing defense features good pass rushers from both ends.

And MacCagnan had better address this sorry excuse of NFL players they call OL. He will have to find the OL - or find a new job.

=====================================================

I have said during the summer all along, and I will say again; starting Sam this year will be counterproductive. Bowles must go before he ruins the kid.

cgrec, jetstopgun, NYJFOREVER and 3 others like this.
  12. Quinnenthebeast

Move onto the Jags who will do the same exact thing. F*cking NFL gave us the worst schedule.

13. David-The-Meats-Harris

David-The-Meats-Harris Well-Known Member

You can't bench him. The genie is out of the bottle. You'll do more damage to him by benching him and the browns d is the best they've faced so far.

No knee jerk reaction required

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

K'OB, FJF and Freddy Mondo like this.
  14. nyjetsmets89

nyjetsmets89 Well-Known Member

Baker tied the game and Sam came out and made some nice throws including that 3rd down conversion to Kearse. After all the bullshit he led a drive that gave us the lead again. Then Bowles and Bates took over and I blacked out

15. Quinnenthebeast

Onto the best D in the league. Cant wait to seeing him run around scared again at Jacksonville who made the Pats their bitch last week.

16. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Suspect OL, only 1 reliable receiver. The only thing he has going for him are RBs and even there I wouldn't say they're game breaking RBs.

17. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

No, he really was not. Darnold worked with what he had, which was not much. He had a 14-0 lead on the road. His coach coached like a coward and they lost. Blaming him would be ridiculous.

Harpua and ColoradoContrails like this.
  18. David-The-Meats-Harris

David-The-Meats-Harris Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone expected any less for the season. The only people calling for him to be benched were obviously seduced by a terrible lions team.

Everyone knows the line can't protect him. Knew he'd be running for his life. They gave him the starting position and now they need to stick it out. He's going to need to find a way to win.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

19. IBLEEDGREEN17

IBLEEDGREEN17 Well-Known Member

Sam played terrible but our WR corps are a joke and our OL is atrocious so what can you really expect for a 21 year old rookie against a top defense like CLE?

Not to mention we have the worst OC in the league. Again. Schotty 2.0

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

This is the post of the year

I think we all like the kid. We see the potential, but his regression over this short time is evident.

This is why I said Teddy should have started.

Also, throw some deep balls even if they are just to keep the defense honest.