Excuses! - Lets hear them!!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Sep 17, 2018.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Bowles will never win anything. He can’t figure this stuff out

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

It happens seemingly every game though. Bowles makes late game risk management gaffes and it gets excused or put on the players for not executing.

After 4 years of this stuff, and multiple roster combinations, when do we blame the decision making?

A normal NFL coach plays that 4th down way different and gets at least a chance with the ball

NYJetsO12, CBG and ColoradoContrails like this.
  3. David-The-Meats-Harris

David-The-Meats-Harris Well-Known Member

Herndon not getting out of bounds strikes me as 2 rookies in the huddle just trying to communicate the play. Coaches? Maybe the comms weren't working...
    At home...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

4. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Shame on me for expecting a professional to know his assignments? Are you on the Jets coaching staff?

I never said a guy should be benched for making a mistake or blowing an assignment but he should never hit the field if he doesn't know them. You're the one who said he didn't know his assignment, and that's quite different from blowing one.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I almost want to give Bowles credit for trying to be aggressive on the 3rd & 19. But I can't. At that point, the odds of Miami making the 1st down were slim, and even if they picked up 10 yards, it wasn't a certainty Miami would even try to kick the FG or if they did, make it. The smart play was to contain them, not blitz.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  6. Cidusii

Cidusii Well-Known Member

I feel like if we were getting better pressure rushing 4, they may have played contain.

7. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

A legit coach is easy 2-0 at the moment.

Cleveland should be fun

It will be Forrest Bowles vs Bubba Jackson

Two sweet talented amazing guys who are only HEAD coaches because of ?!??

Yep- end of story

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  8. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I don’t believe Adams blew his assignment. It’s a general practice for an in box safety or LB to blitz if their coverage assignment stays in to block. The issue is once you make that decision you better hope you or one of your teammates get there, else your assignment can leak out behind you. Adams took the gamble and got burnt. I think having him that close to the LOS in that situation forced to make that read is dumb. Either send him or have him in coverage. If you send him on the immediate blitz we either get the sack or force Tannehill to throw it sooner. Even if Tannehill got it to Gore the DBs would have had the chance to react sooner and stop him from getting the 1st down as they wouldn’t be as far up the field as they were the way it went down.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

In the pantheon of Jet losses this doesn't even rank in the top 100. This season is all about Darnold and I don't think he played badly, especially for his second ever start.

PJ4Ever, stinkyB and FJF like this.
  10. Ralebird

Let's back up a bit. 101 said that Adams did not know his assignment, not that he blew it or made a mistake - he said he didn't know what his assignment was. I never claimed that he blew it either or made some kind of mistake - I said that if a guy is playing in the NFL he has to know his assignments or he doesn't belong on the field. My point was that a position coach, the appropriate coordinator and the head coach cannot allow a player to take the field who does not know his assignments. I also stated that mistakes and blown assignments happen and an occasional miss is not grounds for benching someone.

My posts here have never been about precisely what Adams did or did not do on that play, or why - I spoke only to the larger question of preparation. I also hate giving up a first down on a third and nineteen; it was a lousy call.

11. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

No one on this Fan board blamed Sam for the loss. This was about the team once again not being prepared for a game following a big win. Sometimes some fans come up with incredible excuses why the team lost a poorly played game. To their credit, no one has blamed Sam. So far....

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  12. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

No it's not. But yeah, shame on you for thinking players are robots and they don't make mistakes. So if the play happens in the first qtr, Adams or Lee (whomever was responsible) blows the play, essentially you are saying you would never let them see the field. So yeah, shame on you. Adams and Lee are good players. They are young and will make mistakes. There was obviously a communication gap there.

13. 101GangGreen101

I think it was more-so Lee then Adams, but both are responsible, they did not communicate that properly. If you watch the play again, Gore goes onto Lee's side and Gore slides through Adams and Lee, it was so obvious. Adams in the press conference said it was on him, but I think it was more on Lee. Adams knows better and has the situational awareness to make the right play most of the time. He's made plays like this in the past. if you remember the play in the Lions game, where Adams saved the TD, he was covering the flats, then instantly ran to defender over the top and stopped him from scoring. That's what being a great player is all about, we expect a lot out of Adams.

14. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

82 you bring up a good point and I listened to WFAN on Monday and Bart Scott said something that you just touched on .Scott stated that all through the game he was saying to Willie Colon and Ray Lucas that the Jet linebackers were TOO CLOSE to the line of scrimmage on just about every single play during the game. He also said that their technique or initial first step was wrong many times , I think he compared it to being flat footed but I stray-----Scott stated that if he can see this " why can't the Jet coaches " and why has it not been corrected as it was going on the entire game,,,,he said they were so close to the line that they could not properly get their reads or shoot their gaps and Scott said he had told Colon and Lucas " look at where the Dolphin Linebackers are playing D and then look at the Jets positioning " . Maybe this has something to do with Adams hesitation , is it possible he was just too close to the line to get a proper read on the play and watch Gore ? In other news I will say it again, for Adams or any defender to be put in that position on 3rd and 19 just blows my mind !

15. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I've been saying it forever since before the draft. He's by far the best QB in the draft. I just didn't think it was possible for us to land him but here we are. he's going to be the next aaron rodgers

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  16. Ralebird

What's with the "shame on you" nonsense? You're not my grandmother.

If you didn't mean what you said about whichever guy not knowing his assignment, just say that, but not knowing an assignment is not the same as making a mistake doing it. It's like a guy trying to fly a plane who has no idea how to land it versus one who lines it up crooked or comes in too fast. It's like a fireman who knows how to put out a fire but forgets to get a ladder off the truck if he's supposed to go up on the roof. Or an accountant who knows how to do quarterly a tax report but makes a math error. There is a big difference in any job between not knowing how to do the job and making a mistake while doing so. Not knowing how to do a job is a disqualifier! Repeating errors is a good reason to be reassigned.

I do think players make mistakes - because they do and have now stated repeatedly that they should not be taken out for a random mistake or two so stop putting words in my keyboard! What I have said explicitly, not essentially, from the beginning is not knowing the playbook is grounds for not getting in the game - do you have a problem with that? Or do you have a problem with what you wrote?

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  17. 101GangGreen101

I don't but it seems like you got a problem with what you wrote. I'm not putting words on your keyboard, you said what you said. "If they didn't know their assignment, they should not be on the field." Obviously Lee or Adams did not know their assignment to stay home on Gore, perhaps it was a mental mistake. Perhaps they got greedy. We don't know. But like I said ...

[​IMG]

Give the young guys some time to grow. That will be a play that will stick on Adams mind for a long time.

Sam Hammer likes this.
  18. Ralebird

Yep - that's my grandmother!

You know, I think we agree - somebody blew an assignment, it's unlikely they didn't know the playbook - which is what I said from the beginning.

I'm pretty sure no knowledgeable fan would believe a player belongs on the field if he doesn't know his assignments - which is what I said from the beginning.

19. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

There really aren't any excuses. The team just made too many mistakes in critical moments and left points on the field.

It's a young team and our rebuild is still a year away from completion. I never expected them to be a winning/playoff team, even after the week 1 blowout. This year isn't about just winning, it's about acclimating the rookies and building chemistry. Mistakes are expected at this point. Get them out of the way now and learn from them.

#159 Sam Hammer, Sep 19, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
    All Gas No Shake likes this.
  20. 101GangGreen101

Well your grandmother is a badass, just so you know.