Excuses! - Lets hear them!!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

The right call is totally subjective.

2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I’m pretty sure Adams was drafted to be in exactly that situation. That should have been an easy cover on a play that will get called 1000 times this year when any team is trying to keep an offense from going 10 yards.

3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

The call was fine, 2 players went after Tannehill when in reality 1 of them should have and I am pretty sure that was due to not knowing their assignment. Lack of execution on the players part. Why give up yards? They were an inch away from sacking Tannehill, if one player covers Gore, there are 0 yards gained or even negative yardage. Maybe, you even force an interception!

Thats on the players. Putting Adams in that situation is exactly what you want from that type of player, what you don't want him to cover? If that's the case, better off drafting a new safety and cutting Adams cause he's not a safety then.

FJF likes this.
  4. Axel574

Axel574 Active Member

It gets called a lot during the season sure but not in a situation where the Dolphins were NEVER going to air it out.. so why force them to get rid of it quick when that was clearly what they wanted to do from the get go. They were going to dump it off, run some clock and punt. The team made a terrible situation to not make 100% sure that play was kept in front of them.

I could not disagree with you more wholeheartedly on this one... it's the coaches job to put your players in the best place to win a game. Was Adams in the right place? He was given an immensely impactful decision on a play where it wasn't necessary.

#124 Axel574, Sep 18, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
    ColoradoContrails, LAJet and CBG like this.
  5. Axel574

Axel574 Active Member

I'm not blaming this loss on Bowles... the players clearly had their issues. I just get annoyed at seeing the same ole mistakes.

I'm certainly not ready to throw him to the wolves after week 2.

6. Axel574

Axel574 Active Member

That's exactly want I wanted him to do... as opposed to giving him the option to rush the QB

legler82 likes this.
  7. FJF

Adams was supposed to be in the right place. Defending the rb dump off. Bowles had to defend 10 yards. Going down 2 possessions ends the game there. Miami would have tried the long fg knowing the worst thing that happens is a miss and we need a td plus 2 to force ot. That was a classic 3rd and 10 play call. Anything else you add to it is just trying to convince yourself it was a bad call.
    You can have a good call and a bad play at the same time. It happens

8. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Fjay do you really think Miami would have wanted to give us the ball at or around our own 40 or risk a blocked FG rather than punt it and make the rookie QB go the length of the field with no timeouts ? Man coverage and Blitzing in that situation = Sorry I can't be sold on that, I rush 4 and keep 7 guys in Zone and dare Tannerhill to make a play most likely a short pickup IF THAT when he dumps it off.

ColoradoContrails and LAJet like this.
  9. Axel574

Axel574 Active Member

I get your point of view.. I really do. It always seems that they are aggressive why they should let the play come to them and passive when they need aggression.

Perhaps your right and I'm just seeing a bad call because I want to ... I don't know. I still think it was the wrong decision but I do have hindsight on my side.

Was the failure to score before halftime on the coach?

10. FJF

Yea , some of that is on the coaching for sure. Getting play calls in on time and saving timeouts, that was a problem last year i hoped would be cleaned up. Darnold throwing short of the end zone,middle of the field, can’t do it. Coaches need to remind him of that before the mic goes dead.
    And I’m not saying it was a perfectly coached game, but that situation I bet that d call is in their 3rd and 10 cards.
    And yes, if Miami was within 52 yards they would have went for the kill, the reward vs risk would have let them try it

11. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I never said call it off from the start but when you are down 20-0 in the 3rd quarter and have like 20 rushing yards on 15 carries it's time to let it go and start slinging the rock at least IMO. not to mention 4th quarter with 9 mins left and a 2 possesion game and still running out RBs into a brick wall. I don't get it.

but as this discussion proves, there is no right answer and bates seen it his way and made his decision and ran the offense how he see's fit. doens't make him inept or wrong, I just don't agree with you. you do agree with it. either way it's just opinions with no wrong or right answer.

Red Menace likes this.
  12. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

its not a question of "well we were never going to go 16-0" this is a game we could and should have won but poor coaching once again let the side down - but the coaching staff will get a pass for at least a year due to there being a rookie QB

ColoradoContrails and CBG like this.
  13. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

No player belongs on the field who does not know his assignment. That is on the coach for putting an unprepared player out there. If he knows the assignment and fails to accomplish it that is on the player, at least the first time or two.

14. 101GangGreen101

Lol, it was at the end of the game. Adams and Lee were doing fine up until that point. You gonna bench them on Thursday?

What an awful coach, that would instantly lose the locker room.

15. Ralebird

You're missing the point. The coaches are there to teach assignments; they've, supposedly, been working on these things since OTA's started. Week two or week twelve is not the time to figure out that the coaching staff has not taught their charges their assignments or discovered who does not know them.

16. 101GangGreen101

Im not missing the point. Players make mistakes. Especially young ones. Unbelievable you would bench Adams or Lee for a mistake. It was a HUGE one and if I were the coach I'd get on them for that. You gonna bench Darnold if he makes an awful read for a pick 6?

FJF likes this.
  17. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

This thread is a cespool of suck

18. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I think in the weeks, months, and years to come we'll get more than a few opportunities to see that happen SGB.

The biggest thing I saw in this game from my perspective is that Darnold is going to be awesome. He's like a big diamond or something that just needs a few more passes over the shining machine. I'm starting to think the focal point of the Jets franchise right now should be getting this kid some help on the line. And I don't mean "help" I mean real help. find a way to get an all-pro level guy or two up there. I know thats easier said than done and every other team is looking for those same guys but you gotta try. I'm hoping to see focused investment in OL this off season. Most of Darnold's bad moments Sunday came when protection disintegrated.

I think going forward as he gets experience if you can keep him protected even with just fairly average skill players he's going to thrive. As a fan I'm going to be effing pissed if the Jets pull a Colts routine with Andrew Luck where they have their savior and proceed to just let him get murdered behind a terrible OL that they never fix. Invest! If that happens here it better damn well not be because the Jets didn't spend high picks/dollars/trades etc trying.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  19. Ralebird

Read what was written! You first said he did not know his assignment - that's different than making a mistake. The coaching staff is supposed to have everybody know the assignments. Making a mistake in execution is not the same as not knowing. They've all had the playbook since April or May.

A guy who doesn't know what his assignments are supposed to be doesn't get on the field, whether he's a rookie or a long time Pro Bowler.

20. 101GangGreen101

Nah that's not different. Players make mental mistakes. But I sure as hell wouldn't bench a player for making that mistake once. Adams has been great for us since he's been here. The kid can make a mistake, not know his assignment, blown coverage whatever terminology you wish to call it.

But I'm not benching Adams on 1 missed assignment. That opportunity will come again and Adams will make that play. Shame on you.