Jay's House of Weather 'n Stuff

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by jaywayne12, Dec 25, 2010.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If you're within ten miles of the coast and under 60' elevation and you can sell your house for more than it's mortgaged for do it now.

Insurance prices are going to go through the roof by next hurricane season. The big insurers have enough data now to know exactly where they need to cut bait and run and the government flood insurance is not going to be cheap.

2. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

Time to start designing flood-proof homes. House on stilts is the obvious solution but there's got to be ways to seal up homes at ground level too

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Much cheaper to move inland and settle in areas that are not in flood plains or subject to storm surge.

House on stilts still suffers from the exposure of the utilities and vulnerability to high winds and extreme storm surge.

Moving away from the ocean and major flood plains is the best solution in a wetter, warmer climate. Let agriculture and fisheries dominate the areas likely to suffer from frequent inundation, at least they get something out of all the wet when it happens even if they do get shut down for a season.

4. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

LOL.... So basically that's the whole entire East Coast, sans parts of Maine & New Hampshire??! o_O

#13944 stinkyB, Sep 18, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
    FJF likes this.
  5. stinkyB

There are a variety of products available in Europe (I did a web search for my own house)..... of course none are available here. Coincidence? I doubt it :confused:

6. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

Reminds me of Immigration Customs Enforcement, they passed a law long time ago that says ICE can search anybody for any reason and ask for your papers within 100 miles of the border. Turns out they consider the coast a border and 200 million people live within that zone lol

[​IMG]

stinkyB likes this.
  7. stinkyB

PAPERS?!?!

Here.... take a look at some dirty Charmin!

8. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

I put up a few Bat signals,,,,,no reply from the caped crusader ,,,,I hope he is hanging in there !

9. stinkyB

Yeah, I'm sure he's preocupied. Hopefully OK, and river flooding wasnt the surprise behind door #3

10. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Just as was predicted, things in many ways have gotten worse in Wilmington, not better - the city is pretty much cut off, with only one main road in and out open, sewage treatment plants are overflowing, chicken and hog farms have been inundated (with manure flowing into neighborhoods and rivers as a result), the Cape Fear River crested at 61 feet yesterday (jay lives not too far away, I believe), many rivers are expected to crest again tomorrow, and almost 200,000 households are still without power. The university (UNC Wilmington) remains closed. The flooding has been worse than it was from Hurricane Matthew, which caused $5 billion worth of damage in North Carolina. It's going to be a long time before this gets turned around.

11. stinkyB

Hopefully Jay loaded up on essentials before the storm....

12. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I'm so glad the last word is that jaywayne & Section 336 are OK. I know it's just a msg board, and while I do know some folks personally, it would still really upset me if something happened to someone I didn't.

The initial death toll was 8, but even one is one too many. I don't know where it's standing now. I just read this morning that thousands of pigs drowned as well as millions of chickens. Not good, because the rot is a perfect breeding ground for water-borne disease. How do they even go about cleaning up all those carcasses? Light bonfires like they did in Europe in the Middle Ages during The Plague?

As to jaywane's swimming pool, someone I worked with took pics of hers, too, right after Hurricane Irene. We had pockets up here where people's homes got completely wrecked along with a couple of deaths. Needless to say, my colleague's above ground pool was buried in water - as in 6" OVER THE RIM.

I took a lot of photos in gutted abandoned houses that were condemned and due to be razed in the aftermath. Next to old boneyards, abandoned houses are my other thing. Some of the photos are very eerie. I missed out on big treasure in one of the homes. It was built in the late 1780s. Original blue delft tiles (Dutch) on the Munson fireplace. I tried in vain to pry at least one of them off with my bare hands but no luck. I went back there 3 days later with a hammer and chisel and the entire house was gone. The only thing left standing was the brick fireplace and all the tiles had been stripped. Damn it. I was so pissed at myself. I did some amateur archaeology and did uncover a bunch of old apothecary bottles, old glassware, some milk glass, and old plate shards so it wasn't a total loss, but I can tell you somebody made a mint on those tiles. I didn't want it for the money, I wanted it because it was a piece of history and I knew if I didn't get to it someone else would. And they did. I should post some of the photos.

Anyway, everyone stay safe that's an order.

#13952 jetophile, Sep 20, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
  13. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Jeto last time I spoke to Jay was Sunday so Im not sure how "ok" he is at this point ,,,,,,I mean their is flooding everywhere down there along with sewage and other nastiness ....no power and roads are a mess,,,,I think he said he was a half mile or so from the Cape Fear River ( which is causing chaos and damage ) but Im not sure ??? Hope Jay is hanging in there it has to be a nightmare

14. jetophile

Yeah, also just posted about the pigs and the chickens. That is very, very, bad. My BIL is inland in NC. He's roughly an hour from Charlotte. Too bad Joel Osteen doesn't have a BS megachurch in NC just so he won't help people again unless he gets verbally destroyed like he did after Harvey in TX.

#13954 jetophile, Sep 20, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
  15. jetophile

Well, I did say last word. : ( Very possible that he has no cell phone service because it got knocked out or that his phone punked because no power. Death toll now at 17 and expected to rise, ugh why did I look that up? Ugh again. Let us know if you hear something from him, thx.

16. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Still radio silence from the Jayster I really hope the guy and his family are ok and hanging in. Each time I log in I look to this thread hoping that he has posted something.

Brook! likes this.
  17. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Same here. Did you text him or no?

18. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

I have done everything except try and drive to NC,,,,,,,to answer you yes quite a few times

jetophile and Brook! like this.
  19. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Man, I am worried now. :(

CBG likes this.
  20. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

that makes a few of us Brook,,,,,it has to be chaos down there,,,,,I will try him again maybe I get lucky

FJF and Brook! like this.