Excuses! - Lets hear them!!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Anyone expecting anything other than a season filled with up and down moments deserves the misery they are feeling.

This season is all about Darnold proving he is the real deal, after 2 games he is certainly on his way.

I feel as optimistic for the future as I’ve ever felt with this team.

2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

flow of the game. we had no run game. what was he supposed to do have darnold only pass on 3rd and 12 every possession? We should have thrown more IMO every running down we had was a waste of a down. not to mention we were down 20 points early in the 3rd quarter. Gotta let it fly and hurry up the offense.

It was an odd playcall. the safe call is play a flat zone a few yards from the 1st down marker. My guess is they figured that mia would think that is the call and could maybe pull out a blitz and force a big mistake and a turnover which was much needed as our offense wasn't clicking and needed all the help it could get.

CBG likes this.
  3. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

It's only 100% right if it works.

Ralebird and CBG like this.
  4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Again, if the play a flat zone they are conceding a fg try that could turn it into a 2 possession game.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  5. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Fjay ,,,,,heres what I say to that,,First just because you are in a zone defense does not mean Tannehill completes the pass, and even if he does a 5 yard completion makes it a 56 yard attempt a ten yard completion makes it a 51 yard attempt,,,,,maybe IF IF IF all this happens they punt and don't risk a block , they are up by 8 ,,,we won't know because we never had the chance to find out,,,,,BTW did I say that I hated the defensive play call yet ? LOL

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  6. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

They were down 14, with 11 minutes to go In third quarter, there was no need to go for home run ball. They had great field position and plenty of time, they could have easily gotten back momentum.

It is what it is, let’s hope they can pull out the win Thursday.

7. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

I was told there wold be no math on this test but damn, you nailed that one.

8. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

I get it, homeslice.

9. FJF

Ok, so giving up 10 yards gives them a makeable 51 yard fga. Bowles called it the same way he would have had it been 3rd and 10 anywhere else on the field. He wasn’t think anout 19 yards he was worried about the first ten and keeping it a one possession game. Once gore got 10 yards the chance of the jets winning decreased immensely. Him picking up the first just makes it look differently.

10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

They were at the 45. A 5 yard completion there gives them a 57 yard field goal!

I doubt the Dolphins even try a field goal that long and risk giving the Jets prime field position. Especially considering they have a rookie kicker. But certainly I’d take my chances with that if I’m the Jets.

It was a horrible defensive play call, there is no defense of it

11. FJF

Nah, that was a text book 3rd and 10 call which is what the situation dictated.

12. Axel574

Axel574 Active Member

This team has an incredibly poor history "of getting the ball back" under Bowels.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  13. GasedAndConfused

depends where they play it. Line up at the FG line and keep the play in front of it.

14. GasedAndConfused

true but the run wasn't working and time was still a factor (darnold never got the ball back with 2mins left to take a chance) our offense looked bets in the hurry up with darnold slinging it. i don't care about his age, if you cna't run the ball can't keep forcing it and wasting downs and time. Use short passes/screens to replace the failing run game. powell was open all the time out of the backfield. use short swings instead of a run game to keep the defense honest but mostly just throw it and take a RB draw play here and there. we were forcing the run in a game where the clock was out enemy and we had no run room

15. Axel574

Axel574 Active Member

I don't feel any misery. I feel frustration over the same old story... poor clock management and inept 4th qtr decisions with the game on the line.

ColoradoContrails and CBG like this.
  16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The best excuse for the loss is that they are a young team that came up short against a veteran team. That will happen now and then and having the youngest starting QB in 70 years exacerbates the problem some.

Darnold threw for 334 yards, becoming yet again the youngest QB to do something in recent history. Yes, the passing is pushed very heavily this season by the rules changes, but he is still doing things we shouldn't expect out of a 21 year old QB,

8-8 with Darnold playing well would be a major step forward for the Jets. They'd go into the off-season needing to strengthen the OL and find an edge rusher to pressure the QB. Those aren't easy finds but they are manageable between a 1st round pick and free agency.

Falco21 likes this.
  17. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I prefer to play aggressive and get the ball back with better FP. Who knows, maybe they don't kick the FG and they punt if they don't want to risk a missed FG. Punter was killing us all game, Bowles tried to get us in better field position. The players, not the coaches should take the blame for that. I actually gave Bowles a C- and blamed him for that in the Bowles thread, but today after reflection I changed that.

GasedAndConfused and FJF like this.
  18. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Whether it works or not does not determine whether it was the right call

19. Axel574

Axel574 Active Member

The players should take the blame for giving up that 3rd and 19? That call was not a good decision, I don't care what anybody says... it was already mentioned but a five yard gain there set them up for a 57 yd field goal. No way the Dolphins line up for that, not a chance.

The was no reason to even put Adams in that situation to begin with. All on the coaching.

ColoradoContrails and CBG like this.
  20. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I agree with the short passes being used in place of the run at times, However if the running game worked every time teams handed off the ball no one would ever pass the ball.

The running game is not meant as simply a way to gain yards, it’s also meant to wear down the defense, keep them guessing, and if you stick with it for the whole game, your bound to break a couple of runs. Defenses can’t stop everything all the time.

The clock was not their enemy with 11 minutes left in 3rd quarter, ball in RZ off a turnover, down by 14, it was a perfect opportunity to calm things down get a TD and swing momentum back to Jets side. There is a lot of football left.

You and I see things differently it’s cool, I respect your opinion.

I just hope this Thursday it’s different. I really want to see them stick with run game through the whole game.

That being said there is a time to abandon run game, 2 minutes left, trailing and it’s and 80 yard drive, sling away!