Studs and Duds: week 2 vs Mia

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Sep 17, 2018.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Studs

Copeland - looks like he's keeping the job when martin comes back. Looked good rushing the passer had 1 sack and would have had a 2nd if it wasn't negated by a skrine penalty

Anderson - looks good getting pressure. got a sack as well

Adams - aside from blowing his assignment on the 3rd and 19 play he was everywhere and did everything. he also had a sack and a FF

Q - clearly darnolds favorite target he's getting open, making big catches, and fighting for YAC. we need to pay this man to keep him around a while. 7 catches for 92 yards

Powell - 74 receiving yards and a TD. was great receiving out of the backfield

Myers - was 2 for 2 on FGs. yeah he missed an XP but he boomed a 55 yarder with room to sapre

Defense as a whole - while we couldn't get the stop at the end and fell for a few trick plays and allowed a 3rd and 19 to be converted on a dump off to the RB. overall the defense played great. 20 points allowed but 14 came off turnovers including one were they started the drive in the red zone. we complained about the lack of sacks last week but got 4 yesterday but held them to only 257 total yards including 168 passing by tannehil. their leading receiver had 3 catches for 37 yards.

**Vontae Davis - the bills CB retired from the NFL at halftime during the game. The bills are so bad a player literally decided to end his career instead of finishing the game. gave me a good laugh as i've never seen that happen before**

Duds

Herndon - rough game for the rookie. he had a big 3rd and long drop right through his hands killing a drive and also the fumble at the end of the half he picked back up but couldn't get in the end zone. He needs to do a better job making catches and securing the ball

Pryor - looked really bad yesterday. had a big drop on a 3rd and long where the ball when right through his hands. He also put in a half assed effort on the darnold INT in the end zone. Ultimately it's still darnolds fault but pryor deserves some of the blame as well. he didn't even look ready for the ball

O-line - no room in the run game and pressure on darnold all game. completely overwhelmed by wake and quinn all game long

Bates - Poor offensive plan. He needs to take more shots to robbie. He's our homerun thread but seems bates doesn't want to give him chances to make plays. On top of that, there comes a point in a game where you need to abandon the run and he refused to do it. Just like pitt had ben throw 60 times yesterday, bates had to adjust to the flow of the game and start slinging it but refused to do it. he needs to realize the situation better

2. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

While I agree the game plan was poor, I disagree why. As you said in the Oline bit, Darnold had little time to throw all game and deep shots take time to develop. This was not the game to try and go deep. Miami has a very poor linebacking core when it comes to covering backs. As well as Powell did we should have attacked the middle of the field more.

I'm also not sure Adams blew that assignment on 3rd and 19. i looked like he had man coverage on the TE as he followed him when he went in motion pre snap. I'm thinking someone else completely missed their assignment on that play.

3. GasedAndConfused

It's always good to take a deep shop. double TE, run formation 2 WR, 1 RB. play action and take a shot deep. one safety will creep up in the box. would work as long as it's man and not zone but darnold can check out if he reads zone. either way Q or anderson would have a 1 on 1 shot deep

also adams admitted he blew his assignment

4. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Nice analysis

Herndon needs his locker cleaned out today. But it won't happen and we'll be treated to critical misplays and other sloppiness for the rest of the year because he will flash once every 4 games on a single play. This will go on for 2 years and then we'll finally cut him.

5. GasedAndConfused

I'm not giving up on him yet. he's a 4th round rookie. those issues can be cleaned up. and in the meantime sterling and tomlinson have looked pretty dam good

6. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Its good to take deep shots, I didn't see the time for those type of plays to develop even if they were called. We were losing on the line both in the interior and exterior.

He first said it was a defensive break down and when pressed said to put it on him. I think its more likely he didn't want to throw a teammate under the bus in the media.

MoWilkBeast likes this.
  7. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

One mistake Herndon made that no one is talking about was not getting out of bounds on a catch near the sideline on the last drive of the first half. that would have saved a time out & given us an extra play & more time to kick a field goal. Instead he fought for the extra yard & was tackled in bounds. But all in all I was glad to see Herndon make a few catches.

#7 BudJet, Sep 17, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
  8. GasedAndConfused

yeah that was another mistake i forgot to mention as well

9. GasedAndConfused

watch the play, it was clearly adams. he looked at gore then rushed in as gore snuck out

as far as going deep i already gave the solution. you run the play i said on a 3rd and short and robbie very likely has a 1 on 1 opportunity

SOJAZ likes this.
  10. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Studs:

Darnold- Best offensive player in the game. The early INT put the Jets into a hole, but I thought he looked damn good overall.
    Copeland- Played damn well, had no clue who he was going in.
    Enunwa- Love that guy

Duds:
    Skrine- Had a crippling penalty and got burnt on the same drive. Basically gave up a TD on his own.
    Pryor- Made some plays, but really didnt help in other facets in the game
    Herndon- Boneheaded plays and critcial drops
    Anderson- Fumble
    OL- Not the worst of all time, but could have been better

ColoradoContrails and SOJAZ like this.
  11. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I'm not the only one who saw the same thing

https://www.ganggreennation.com/201...-and-19-might-not-have-been-jamal-adams-fault

Adams was assigned to the TE. Someone else should have had the back on that play and didn't.

12. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I bashed Adams for it yesterday, but after watching it looks like Lee was responsible cause Gore was right there, but lets forget assignments and just think about being smart. Gore was right there next to them BOTH, went past BOTH of them ... moving to get in position to make a catch and they just let him do what he wanted. At the end of the day, Jets young players have to be smarter.

[​IMG]

Actually this looks like the same formation that got the Jets beat on the Golden Tate TD.

tiger8mush likes this.
  13. GasedAndConfused

yeah skrine had some bad penalties sadly but outside of that played well. miami had literally no offense all game. hard to call darnold a stud. he did play well but also made some bad mistakes. was picked off in the end zone right after we got a turnover. that was killer right there. cost us 3 points minimum. he alos had another poor INT. made a couple of rookie mistakes for sure but overall still was solid. 300+ yards and 61% completions is good but the lack of points generated and the 2 turnovers is too much to call him a stud

14. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

As I recall, Enunwa was awful his first year and maybe his second too. Glad the Jets didn't give up on him.

15. GasedAndConfused

watch the play in motion though. adams is watching gore right off the bat. it could be split depending which side he goes to. if he goes left adams picks him up and lee rushes, if he goes right lee picks him up and adams rushes. adams see gore, makes a move at him then deicdes to rush instead. It could have been lee all the way but adams clearly seen it and had no chance at a rush and should have picked it up IMO.

16. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Dude, he's a 4th round rookie playing in his 2nd NFL game. You gotta give him a chance.

17. 101GangGreen101

Yeah I saw it a few times in motion. Hence Gore going on Lee's side ... Adams said it was on him, but he wasn't going to throw someone under the bus. Both of them were dumb on that play IMO. Trying to make a splashy play. If one of them contains Gore, Tannehill gets sacked and we get better FP

Harpua likes this.
  18. GasedAndConfused

he is on lee's side but then slides over to adams after faking a block. adams seen it and should have pulled up knowing nobody was behind him and covered him. hs pass rush was half ass too. I think he got "deer in the headlights" on that play there. i mean he's allowed a mistake not going to beat him up over it, but it was clearly his fault

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  19. 101GangGreen101

Huh? Gore ran right into Lee and Adams. They were both in the area. One of them should've picked that up. I think that was Avery on the other side

20. GasedAndConfused

I'd have to try and look back but from what i remember adams looked at gore, hesitated then did some half ass rush while still looking at gore. somebody blew an assignment but seems like adams should have picked him up regardless