Browns to Cut Josh Gordon (Traded to Pats)

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by FJF, Sep 15, 2018.

1. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

The Browns are more dysfunctional than Gordon. I would not give up anything more than a 5 for him. Very high risk. There is reward if he's clean.

Reminds me a lot of Dwight Gooden. I think the chance of him recovering is really small.

stinkyB and NCJetsfan like this.
  2. Yeah i dont disagree.3 is too high given the circumstances.Id think real hard about a 4 & would pull the trigger on a 5th

There are teams more desperate for WR help than the jets who are in the NFC..so its unlikely hes coming here.But jets should have at least have interest & explore within such parameters

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Sorry, but gotta disagree, Kurt. You have complained about the OL as much as anyone, and you'd seriously trade our 3rd round pick for a WR? Yes, we need some stud playmakers, but we need a quality OL and an edge rusher 1,000 times more than we need a problematic WR who is more likely to self-destruct than he is to be healthy and give anything near a "high reward." As someone pointed out, it has been 5 years since he was a stud on the field. He's probably done a ton of drinking in that time and not spent a lot of time working on his game or staying in shape.

The Jets are attempting a culture change, and in doing that, the LAST thing they want to do is bring in a player like Bell or Gordon. It would make them hypocrites and their efforts to change the culture laughable. I think that you're the one that needs to wake up.

Mack's a great player, but he doesn't help the offense, and he doesn't get us to a SB. In addition, he's already 27 years old, as is Bell. He's the only one of the three that I would have had any interest in, and then only if the price was a lot more reasonable or the Jets already had a solid OL or some studs on offense.

Leicester Jet likes this.
  4. NCJetsfan

For a 5th I'd consider it, as it would be at a lesser cost/risk, and would be a lower-profile move.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  5. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

a 5th seems about right, and i dont think the Browns FO is good enough to get anything more from a team for such a problematic player

I'd do a 5th in a heartbeat

6. Yes i want the OL fixed..yes i want an edge rusher but ive also been screaming for offensive playmakers regardless of position. I dont consider that notion any less pressing or important than OL or edge;Different in approach & substance no doubt..but just as important. I dont believe simply plugging a few holes makes us contenders;we need playmakers.

As for the culture change.Honestly craig..this isnt the first time weve disagreed over this sort of thing. You are dead set against any character/off the field risk what so ever.Ive never agreed but youre consistent. But under your thinking guys like Chris Carter,Randy Moss,Terrell owens & Tony mandarich never get a second chance at success not the teams who took a chance on them.Its a “second chance” business.Just have to be smart & dilligent within that.Look at ASJ!! This isnt a bad teammate,abuser or the like.Hes a flaky stoner in need of boundaries.

Now im not saying lets become the 90s cowboys & bring in all the thugs.Absolutely not.But the culture change is already underway.The team has very strong leadership on both sides of the ball all of a sudden. When you have leadership in place & a pecking order you can take calculated risks on certain “divas” if you will.No contending team is immune to this notion not even the patriots see Moss,dillion,blount,Talib..You bring him in w clear accountability in place from FO,CS & locker room & hope he blossoms.

The jets depth at WR means Gordon doesnt get a free pass.He has to be healthy.he has to be focused & he had to be productive otherwise he stays the #4-5 WR at best & likely gets released.Meanwhile in the WR room he has firm leaders in both Kearse & Enunwa to keep him in line

So he comes here dirt cheap on team friendly conditional terms forced to earn his keep w actions not hype like in cleveland.He has boundaries,accountability,a brand new platform & a second chance.At the price tag,the upside, the depth already in place what do we have to lose??

7. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

he didn't play that many snaps. he was out of football for basically 2-3 years, missed a lot of the offseason too and then comes back out and makes a play like that. his talent is stupidly good.

8. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Gordon to the Pats. Basically the polar opposite of this thread.

9. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

No, although pairing him with Robby Anderson might produce some real off-field 'chemistry'...

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

You can lose a third round pick. If you look at Josh Gordon actual numbers, not the hype he sucks. Yes sucks. He was great for 1 year. That was in 2013. Most NFL players who were good in 2013 are out of the league. He was a decent not great rookie. He has been mediocre on the field since 2013 and he was kicked out for 2 years. A good third round pick in the NFL is someone who plays special teams and can turn into a solid starter on almost every NFL squad. You don't give that away for a lottery ticket. A third round pick is an investment. Josh Gordon is a long shot bet.

Harpua, IBLEEDGREEN17 and NCJetsfan like this.
  11. NCJetsfan

Other than the bolded statement, I can get on board with this post. The bolded statement is not quite true. Admittedly, I am very cautious and against most of those kinds of moves, but there have been players that I would have given a 2nd chance to. I don't recall Chris Carter doing anything that bad, so I probably would have given him a 2nd chance and would have Moss as well. Owens, no. Mandarich was just flat out awful. There was no reason to give him a 2nd chance. I was all for giving ASJ a 2nd chance. I rooted like crazy for him, and thought that he'd develop, but he didn't. I don't want any more greedy Revis types who continually hold out and keep wanting more and more money. I don't want thugs or cretins on the team. Everyone makes mistakes. If a player makes one mistake, seems truly repentant, then takes steps to address the problem that led to the mistake and tries to make amends, I'm all for giving them a 2nd chance. I'm not for giving repeat offenders, head cases, or players who clearly have demonstrated poor character a 2nd chance on the Jets. Let they get their 2nd (or 4th or 5th) chance elsewhere. Usually for a team to give up on a player, he has to have done something pretty bad, and that is even more true with a supremely talented player who has been very productive.

As I also said, I would consider Gordon for a 5th round pick. If the Jets were pretty certain that he had cleaned his act up, this latest indiscretion was something minor, and the Jets thought they had players and a support system that could help Gordon, then I'd roll the dice for a 5th round pick. AFAIK ASJ stayed sober, and he credited the Jets, so there's a chance that Gordon could pan out, but I haven't seen him state anything like ASJ did about his determination to change and the extremes that he went through to turn his life around.

#131 NCJetsfan, Sep 17, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
    KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  12. NCJetsfan

If the Browns trade him to the Pats, they're nuts, I don't care what they get in return.

13. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

What do they care? If the Pats are offering the best pick, just take it. They know he's liable to fuck it all up anyway, plus he's a free agent after next season. And if they resign Gordon in 2020, Brady will be 43 years old. The longterm payoff for the Pats isn't really there, but that's also not what they need. Whereas the Browns are probably looking at 2020 rather than 2018.

14. NCJetsfan

Because until Brady and/or Belicheat retire, the Pats are still the team to beat. Why make them better? The Browns would have to go through them to get to the SB. Now if the Browns have completely given up on getting to the SB at any point in the next 3-5 years, I could understand their not caring and just taking what NE would give. I assume however, that the Browns' owner(s) expect the team to be serious competitors and to get to the SB sooner rather than later.

Unless this latest indiscretion is a drinking relapse, drugs or something else serious (in addition to the hamstring injury thing), Gordon could play for the Pats this season, help them win another SB, be re-signed and help keep the Pats at the top for the next 3-5 years. According to reports, it was just a cumulative thing with the Browns, and nothing serious this time. They've got big issues of their own. It sounds like their OC and HC aren't communicating and on the same page or Gordon wouldn't have started their 1st game.

15. Yeah i have serious reservations about a 3rd..im more favorable to a 5th like NC & others have alluded to.However if its a similar scenario to that of the Hack trade but for higher production conditions be met or we flat out get the pick back..i think i moght take that gamble.

In the event we actually surrender the 3rd we’re paying for tangible production rather than just the hype surrounding the player.Hes a huge question mark & to your point has alot to prove but a Motivated,dependable, productive Josh Gordon would be a very good thing for the jets. I dont think Cleveland goes this route but given the choice between this & just releasing him what would they have to lose? Either side for that matter?

16. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Best pick coming from the Patriots will have to be a round higher than the rest of the bids due to them picking 29-32 every year.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. NCJetsfan

What could Cleveland have to lose? Well, many "experts" and fans have already panned them for taking Mayfield over Darnold. If they traded Gordon to the Jets, he got healthy and his head on straight and put up production like he did in 2013, then they would be even more the laughingstock of the league for handing the Jets both Darnold and Gordon.

18. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Jesus, so with him going to the Pats with their boundaries and structure he may actually straighten out.

19. NCJetsfan

Good point!

20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

that would suck. big time. He would crush it with the Patriots. like Randy Moss all over again