Good Read Jets Defense...Bucky Brooks

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by LF911SC, Sep 15, 2018.

1. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Totally agree.
    I also look at it as FA for the present, draft for the future.

FJF likes this.
  2. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

In b4 3-4 DE drafted 1st round in the 2019 draft.

Quinnenthebeast and NYJalltheway like this.
  3. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

The premise of this article is that the Jets - well Mac really - by using the old fashioned methodical build through the draft are finally beginning to see the results of a dynamic young defense full of high picks. In the past old Jets regimes would have gotten cute and passed the Williams and the Adams and gone for a more obvious need. There are posters here who before the Monday night game were questioning these picks saying other positions should have been selected . This article explains Mac’s strategy in a clear concise manner......

I think your manner would be more realistic for a more competitive team. The Jets had to build from the ground up and if Lee in particular keeps up the good work so far this rebuild has been a huge success .

4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

You took the words right out of my...keyboard.:)

CotcheryFan likes this.
  5. ColoradoContrails

I can't argue with that, and up-voted the original post. I'm one of those who has questioned Macc's BPA-first approach. While it does look more promising after Monday, we need to see that sustained performance over the season before I say it's an unqualified success.

I will still point out that had Macc taken Mahomes with that first pick last year, he wouldn't have had to burn the picks he used to trade up and might've been able to get that stud pass rusher or OT we still need. And by that, I'm not saying that the way it turned with getting Darnold is a bad thing...I'm happy he's a Jet and I believe he will wind up better than Mahomes, but I also don't think it would've bad to have gotten Mahomes and another stud. So what I'm saying is that drafting for need can work out too.

I will admit though that doing "by the book" the way Macc seems to have done is the safer, more predictable course. And that gives me some confidence in him going forward - again, assuming all these guys sustain the level of play they showed Monday.

NCJetsfan, mrjet80 and CotcheryFan like this.
  6. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

You said "imagining what we will see is hype."
    If this: "Fueled by a handful of homegrown playmakers, the unit has the potential to spark a playoff run for a team that was viewed as an afterthought by many observers heading into this season," isn't "imagining what we will see," I don't know what is.

7. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

My game plan as it has been since 1969..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  8. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Yep Im still right here. Props on the win and I will be happy to eat crow if Im wrong but they have to do a lot more in my eyes and Im talking the GM and Bowels to sell me ---> I have seen 4 years of this 1 game aint making me a believer.

9. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

I meant imagining before we've seen it happen. As in hyping a player or team before they take the field, my bad, wasnt clear. I get the confusion.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  10. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

No, you've seen 3 years and a game.

Actually 2, no one can complain about year 1. :)

11. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Yep thats right we have, 3 years and 1 game but as I said one nice article and one nice win is not going to change my opinion on the guys in charge .

12. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

I'll get hype every week we go 1-0.

13. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

We can’t count on creating 5 turnovers every week and if the pressure isn’t there up front, that number will drop.

I’ll take all game pressure over intermittent pressure with a couple of sacks every week, but I’m not really convinced they can do that yet.

This game will be telling in a number of ways, the biggest being whether or not each of these units can be consistent. I don’t think the Phins will crumble like the Lions did, so we might get too see how the team responds in a highly contested game.

14. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I agree 100%.

And yes he could have gone Mahomes and may have a similar result today. I am just happy this rebuild appears to be working. Let me put it this way - when was the last time the Jets could say their prior four first round selections from four different years were all on the field and producing positive results ? I can’t think of any ....

15. ColoradoContrails

Well, when you put it like that...

If it has happened, it hasn't happened often for sure, so I guess that's another measure of progress. I really hope the progress continues tomorrow.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

That's a strawman argument. No one said anything about "waiting until the draft," but oftentimes there just aren't any quality players available in FA at a position of need. Prime examples are OLB, QB and LT. You can sign a depth-type player but not a starting-quality player. Even if you are able to sign a decent player, it's still very possible to draft a better player at the position.

LF911SC and ColoradoContrails like this.
  17. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

I'm not expecting them to do exactly what they did to Stafford to Tannehill today but man if they beat him up & pick him off a couple of times I'm gonna get very giddy about this defense.

This home opener has a very different feel to it than other years.

18. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

It is nice to read, but it embarasses me a little. I think it is a bit over the top. Detroit lost their composure because their QB did. They got steamrolled. What we saw was good for us but probably not indicative of either team. I hope I am wrong, of course.

CBG and JetBlue like this.
  19. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Of course it's possible to improve at a position in the draft.

But are you suggesting not addressing needs in FA, and depending on the draft instead? ie just taking the best LT available in draft for example?
    Probably not.
    I think we may be saying the same thing.

In terms of QB I'll agree that is an entirely different animal than any other position, and is handled differently than any other position.
    LT and Pass rusher are also premium positions, as is Cover CB, and that is factored when creating a big board.

20. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Bumpity bump

Red Menace likes this.