#FireBowles

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JethroTull, Jan 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

consistency is a tough thing to accomplish when you are one of the youngest teams in the NFL.

All Gas No Shake and LF911SC like this.
  2. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I go back to 1965 so I've basically seen every Jets Head Coach. Weeb wasn't just a good HC he had one of the greatest coaching Staffs in NFL history. That said, Namath, hung over on Sunday having shown up at the game from a bender was still drawing up plays in the dirt.

Obviously we had some awful head coaches. The absolute worst coaching job was Parcells blowing the last game of the 1997 season to a mediocre Detroit Lions team because of his pure hatred of Neil O'Donnell. Parcells was a HOF coach, great but even he blew games because of his temper and temperament.

Bowles has the resume, the temperament and the smarts. He has a few years behind him with some awful teams and bad management. Todd Bowles isn't Kotite or Walton or even Pete Carroll. He is a terrific human being and has the kind of quiet leadership that can actually last.

You are what your record says you are but that's in the context of ownership, GM and a 53 man roster. Based on that reality, Bowles with two journeyman QB's who are essentially career backups has actually gotten one winning seasons out of a bad football team. He has a record of 21 and 26 with no QB and crappy over all talent, plus 2 GM's and Woody Johnson as his boss. So yea Todd Bowles is part of that record. It's not just his record, it's the organizations record. He isn't the problem. He's part of the solution. Watch closely and look around the league.

3. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Every team has good games and stinkers. Not just Bowles teams. But really, games like Monday where the defense, offense and specials dominated? No we havent.

Its an interesting way to be negative about a night that had nothing to be negative about.

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Bowles has 20 wins the last 3 seasons with a QB roster that makes Neil O'Donnell look good.

If he was white 90% of the flack would go away.

5. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

With other fanbases I might agree. Jets fanbase doesn't see color... they have everyone no matter what.

6. LF911SC

And if they do show inconsistency, totally expected. Not an indictment of the CS

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  7. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

This. And while we’re unlikely to see another performance the caliber of the Monday Night Massacre, it shows the teams potential. If the team stays focused and limits penalties, they’ll win games. Bowles will get the credit that’s due.

Edit - looks like “Monday Night Massacre” is already taken. Credit to the Eagles for dropping 59 on the Skins.

NYJetsO12 and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I'm not being negative. I'm just not ready to praise a coach who had back to back 5-11 seasons just because he had a good week 1.

Brook! and NYJetsO12 like this.
  9. bartscott

bartscott Well-Known Member

I agree. Bowles is very respected in coaching circles. Ariens said that he’d be working for Todd one day. He has made some coaching mistakes, but I think he is building something really good here.

I remember one of the first interviews with Bowles, he was asked if the defense needed to get younger. He said “I don’t know about younger, but we need to get faster”

Well four years later, with Adams and Lee and Maye, instead of Harris and Pryor etc. They are much faster. They looked like an elite defense.

10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Rams and Jaguars were younger last year and didn't have that problem

11. 101GangGreen101

Aaron Donald was 26 going on 27, their best player. Calais Campbell was 31 going on 32, he was their best player last year. Yes, Ramsey is great as well, but there is nothing better then interior pressure. Both teams have a nice mix of vets that still contribute at a high level and young players that fit under their respective schemes. Even so the Jaguars, took at least 2 seasons to get to what they were last year.

12. LF911SC

Change it to typical fan fear, where we dont want to just enjoy a win need to worry about when we'll see a game that well played or a player perform as well as in that game. :)

We all do it to varying degrees. But reality is that game was better than probably any other game this team has played, how all 3 phases dominated. I get that thurday Bills game and maybe another but still it felt different. Plus shutting Stafford down is a lot harder and more impressive that Tyrod Taylor. Especially with a rookie QB making his first start, playing in his first game.

Im not ready to say every concern, every mistake Bowles has ever made is gone and he's now in the upper level of HCs. But he gets a shit ton of credit for having the team ready and playing a game like they did. Doesnt have to mean you think hes the next Lombardi and more than being thrilled over Darnold doesnt mean you think hes a lock for teh HOF or is the next great QB.

But each has shown by doing it that they are capable and there is hope that they can win

LAJet likes this.
  13. LF911SC

Take some of the senior vets like McCown, McClendon, Forte and a couple of others off the team and we're younger. The core of the team is younger. Probably by a large number.

14. 101GangGreen101

It will absolutely happen too, Lee will eventually have a tough outing. So will Adams and so will Darnold. That's where Bowles and leadership comes into play. Bowles won't let them get too high or too low. IMO he is a true leader among men in that locker room and is sort of a father figure to the young players. They respect Bowles and his game-planning and he doesn't even need to act like one of the boys (aka Rex Ryan). Just continue the course and keep the team focused. Thats one of the things we should expect to see from Bowles.

Bowles will need to ensure this team is not too high after that W. I know Lee is absolutely feeling himself on social media. its a different league now with these players, you have to treat them differently.

FJF and LF911SC like this.
  15. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

this thread bothered me before Monday and bothers me more now.

We need to stop calling for coaches heads every 3 - 4 years. Teams that are consistently contenders seem to have consistency in the front office and head coaching department. What has Bowles actually done wrong to warrant this thread to begin with?

2015 - we surprised the NFL, and damn near made the playoffs.
    2016 - Down yer.
    2017 - year 1 rebuild, and the team overachieved to expectation. People were calling us a should be historically bad offense, and we were not only prepared to play weekly, but we damn near had a solid winning record halfway through. We collapsed 4 times in the 4th quarter, which comes with the territory of a rebuild and inexperienced team.
    2018 - Year 1 of Darnold. We aren't firing Bowles, and frankly should not be considering firing Bowles. To swap HC's after 1 year of a rookie would be terrible. Plus so far so good, especially after MNF.

Give Bowles a chance to really instill his vision and culture here. That takes time. I know it's a borderline propganda piece, but the 1 Jets Drive series this summer was eye opening. You could absolutely tell that Bowles was really deepening his culture and people were buying in. We are starting to see the fruits of the labor.

I wish this thread would die.

MoWilkBeast and FJF like this.
  16. LF911SC

Exactly, hasnt history shown this? Hasnt the history of HCs who have failed in their first go rounds as HC shown people that they need time to develop? Instead of the failed idea that new situations help them that its experience that helped them succeed?

I keep saying over and over again, getting killed for saying it, the Jets best case scenario is for the staff to continue to get better at coaching, to keep their jobs, for continuity to be part of the conversation and to keep the team and players from having to start over, learn a new systems and integrate new players who the new coach wants as part of his team. Its a losing cycle. As 101 said the players look up to and respect this HC and seemingly his staff. They play hard for him and that is a huge part of the equation, not a miniscule piece thats easily obtained

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  17. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

I've got Jets issues.

Brook! likes this.
  18. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Even if you were right, and youre not, 4 wins is less than what they actually won, they won 5. With McCown out. Not one of your imaginary "pundits" websites, 4 isnt 5 and winning out of McCowns 13 starts is even better.

How about this? After Bowles and his team played the best possible game anyone could have coached and played we STFU and stop whining about how much he sucks. Take a rest already. Today it sounds pretty ridiculous to butch and moan about the HC to anyone who has said lets see him coach with better talent. Go argue about the color of the sky or something else[/QUOTE]

Can someone translate this for me? I guess we are fitting Bowles for the yellow jacket at Canton after 4 miserable season and ONE game won in the first game of the 2018 season. No credit for Maccagnan for trading up and drafting Darnold. How bout they won because of Sam and a healthy dose of the Lions sinking up the joint. Great win no doubt. Let's just leave it at that and get ready for Miami at home next week.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  19. Axel574

Axel574 Active Member

LMFAO ... soon he'll be walking on water.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  20. 101GangGreen101

Laugh all you want, but its clear as day if you observe what the players say about the coaching staff. No need to exaggerate on your end.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.