Darnold's long ball...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by fansince90, Sep 11, 2018.

1. fansince90

fansince90 Well-Known Member

Why do posters think having a discussion about an observation is negative? Its something i observed, and wanted to discuss it with other fans.
    When i dont like a topic i dont make a comment. Posters have the right to discuss whats on their minds unless i need to reread the TGG rule book.

2. Dax89

Dax89 Active Member

Anybody bitching about that TD pass really needs to get their eyes checked. It wasn't the greatest pass ever thrown but he threw a pretty accurate bomb on the correct read. Anderson had to make a play but it was a 70/30 ball and as an NFL QB you have to trust your arm and your WR's to a point and he was rewarded with a long touchdown pass.

NYJetsO12 and LF911SC like this.
  3. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

He practically threw the ball from the 50 yard line. It looked effortless and like a lay-up. Arm strength is a non-issue.

4. fansince90

Are we talking about the same Robby? If we are i hope you are right...wideouts with his talent want the ball. Enunwa was the target...Robby wants recognition and he wants to get paid i believe.

5. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

He's got a rag arm. Reminds me of Montana. He had a rag arm.

6. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

7. fansince90

Not bitching just sharing an observation/question? Something i hooe he works on...

8. BleedingGreen55

BleedingGreen55 Active Member

Just you

Taps

Donttasemebro and K'OB like this.
  9. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I agree in principle with the discussion aspect but don't think there is an arm strength problem. Darnold got the ball to the general place it needed to be and he got it there fast; a great play by Anderson took it away from the defender.

It's just a factor of getting enough work with the receivers and the biggest reason a few of us wanted to see a handful of forty yarders thrown during the preseason.

NYJetsO12, fansince90 and Pags2112 like this.
  10. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

Two QB's that never had a "strong" arm Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. They did ok for themselves. Andrew Luck has never had really strong arm.
    You know who has a strong arm? Matthew Stafford, Joe Flacco, Cam Newton, Jay Cutler. I think there's way too much emphasis put on the trait.

Something to keep in mind, Bates comes from the Mike Shanahan WCO tree. That's a horizontal attacking scheme, not that we won't take deep shots clearly (see Robby's TD) but we should expect it to be limited. Based on Sam's skill in throwing accurately, while on the run if needed, this should fit him like a glove.

11. Jetsruby

Jetsruby Well-Known Member

Underthrowing Robby is very easy to do. I'm sure Darnold is still trying to understand and predict the behavior of his WRs...remember he basically threw no deep balls in preseason and maybe only had 4/5 targets to robby, most of which were short.

I trust Darnold's ball placement so I'm not concerned at all right now. When he eventually spends less time thinking about the play, I'm sure his skillsets will be enhanced. Only the TD throw to Robby, it looked like he had happy feet and was unsure if he wanted to throw it twice. I'm sure when he gets more confidence that ball comes out in front of Robby.

#71 Jetsruby, Sep 12, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
    ColoradoContrails and fansince90 like this.
  12. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

The kid has got the head for the game, his eyes are always downfield looking to make a play... he's going to be a good one.

He's much wiser than his 21 years in terms of football IQ... he does things on the football field you can't coach.

13. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

Anyone finding fault with that throw is really nitpicking. He threw the ball almost fifty yards; and the pass had almost no arc. To use a baseball analogy, that pass was a line drive as opposed to a fly ball. Sam has more than enough arm strength to make every throw that he needs to.

14. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

Weight Room, Playbook, Fortnite, Social Media, and for some of the larger linemen, a few late night trips to Sonic.

LF911SC likes this.
  15. Bowles Movement

Bowles Movement Active Member

[QUOTE="fansince90, post: 3726037, member: 10628"]Is it just me or does he lack arm strength? Ive rewatched several USC games and I cant really put a finger on it.
    Robby wont be happy if he cant play his game which is burning corners deep down the field.
    If Sam doesnt have the confidence to chuck it, an explosive aspect of our offense gets taken away.[/QUOTE]

It’s just you

Donttasemebro likes this.
  16. fansince90

And it was during the preseason when i began to wonder if it was an issue...
    Happy for the win...and i know he can get stronger and better. Just something i wanted to get others opinions about.

17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

It wasn’t so much that it was underthrown, it was just thrown a little late. But it doesn’t matter Anderson made a play on it. You can criticize results, it was a nice touchdown at a key point in the game

Donttasemebro, Cman68 and westiedog1 like this.
  18. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

OMG this is funny.

Anderson slowed up and then sped up, caught the ball in stride didnt wait on the ball. It wasnt an overthrow anymore than sliding to the side of the pocket, having the smarts and ability stick a shoulder fake into it isnt happy feet. He completed 3/4 passes of over 15 yards, slow down

19. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

NYJetsO12 and Red Menace like this.
  20. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member