Your Reaction After First Play?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Matthew_McBride, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Matthew_McBride

Matthew_McBride Active Member

I'm just very curious because I was very excited last night--the first play occurred and I laughed. I thought to myself, not a big deal, this guy has the stuff. But there was a small bit of me that was wondering maybe I had let my Jet fandom get the best of me and I was blind and this was just another Sanchize type player.

Luckily I couldn't have been more reassured the rest of the game--evidenced by a noise complaint from the neighbors. But in all honesty, what thoughts were running through your guys heads right after the pick 6, any doubt creep in?

hornblower and The Dark Knight like this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I didn't see it at the time because I had to work and didn't get to start watching until early-mid 3rd qtr. When I heard about it and saw it later, and learned it was a scripted play, I was dismayed at Bates trying to be too smart/cute. IMO Sam's first pass should have been on a play that would give an easy completion to help get his nerves settled, build confidence and get him in a groove. As it turned out, it supposedly galvanized the team, and it worked out, but the result could have been very different.

egelband likes this.
  3. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

I threw up in my mouth a little bit.

JetsFan and dawinner127 like this.
  4. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

“Well, at least I get to see the offense again right away”

5. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

lol that was my second thought.

NY Jets68 and Harpua like this.
  6. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I have a lot of confidence in Sam, so I just laughed and shook my head. I want to win, and thought that was a pretty bad way to start a game trying to win on the road, but I also thought this is a learning process for Sam. My next thought was I can't wait to see how he responds. It will be telling. And he was a true Pro. Great to see.

7. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

It was the literal manifestation of my worst nightmare for Darnold. I couldn't believe it. Then when he was sacked to end the next series, I was preparing for the Giants fans at work to dig in.

Fortunately it went the way it did and I haven't heard shit from these cucks.

Matthew_McBride likes this.
  8. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

"What a Jets like start to a career"

9. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

My thoughts summed up perfectly.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  10. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

11. Sandman

Sandman Well-Known Member

First off I was shocked we was passing on First down!!! I was so ready for the run up the gut for 1 yard.

Then I was amazed at how he evaded the pressure. I was like YEAH MAN!! finally someone who can move!!

Then he threw it across his body for a pick six and I was not even shocked. In the general life of a Jets fan its pretty par for the course.

BUT. He stomped the rest of the game. I was getting itchy that he was not making any downfield throws. Then he hits Robbie and I was like YEAH!!!

I felt sorry for Stafford in the end. So many picks! lol. Reminded me of many a Jets game.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I was watching the game with a few friends, and everyone was just dead silent after the pick 6. I had a feeling Sam would bounce back but i could imagine Pats, Bills and Dolphins fans making fun of the Jets along with some Giants fans. Then when I heard that Brett Favre was the only other QB in history to have a pick 6 on his first attempt I felt better.

I was more annoyed with Bates than Darnold, for going for a play action fake before even establishing the run. It seemed a bit silly for the first play of the game and the defense seemed to catch on quick.

#12 Sam Hammer, Sep 11, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

It did get very silent in my household for a minute. I did keep telling my son who’s phone was blowing up from his Giants fan friends that he will bounce back, that’s what makes Darnold special.

14. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

I was like holy cow this could not be scripted better (in a bad way)
    And
    I was frozen for like 8 seconds
    Then I got 10 texts from Giants fans

By the end of the night the texts came from me

Endlessly Counting likes this.
  15. Matthew_McBride

last line made me laugh

16. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Me: "Jesus, of course this is what happens. Can't say I am shocked. What a hell of a stat to start a career. Only the Jets."

I knew he would bounce back and I was not worried. It doesn't define him. It's just annoying that Darnold will have that *asterisk* labeling his first pass as a pick-six.

17. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

“Oh my” followed by me turning to my fiancé and laughing. Then i saw what the playcall was and thought about how stupid Bates was for opening up with that call.

18. Matthew_McBride

Maybe, but Brett Favre did the same thing and the only reason I knew that was because it was repeated 50 times last night. So if he has a fulfilling career, I don't even think most people will ever remember.

19. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

It’s just one of those weird things. Kareem Hunt fumbled his first handoff last year vs the patriots and went on to win the rushing title.

Martin&theJETS likes this.
  20. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I was getting a glass of water because I thought the game started later then it did. I hear my wife scream in the living room. I ran into too see her hand over her mouth while uttering the words "it's gonna be ok, lovie".

Glad I missed it in real time.