Le'Veon Bell

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Ubiquitous, Jul 22, 2016.

1. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

The problem for Bell (compared to Donald and Mack) is that he cannot possibly get a better contract this year - he either plays for $14.5 million or he doesn't play at all. He can negotiate an extension for loads of money, but the Steelers have made clear that they're not interested in that. His best play to get future money is to stay healthy and show how valuable he is. The first part is obvious - don't come in for a couple of months. The second is a lot riskier - what if the Steelers offense chugs along without him? Then he's screwed. Since this is his second straight franchise tag, it's very unlikely that they'll do it again, so there's a very decent shot that he'll be a free agent next year.

His other problem is that NFL owners and GMs are skittish people who don't like looking bad. There's a real risk that many teams won't look at him because of all of the trouble he's causing now, which will drive down his price. And what if he comes in in November and plays poorly because of the lack of practice and game time?

NYJetsO12 and Red Menace like this.
  2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Idk i think it’s pretty risky as a running back to sign that franchise tag.

If he gets hurt he’s completely screwed. If he stays home he doesn’t get the $14 mill but he also keeps himself healthy in the hopes that someone will give him a long term contract, that no matter what will give him more than $14 mil over the life of it

3. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

WTF is this shit?!?

4. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I agree that its risky in the sense of long term value, but he's doing it in a way to minimize his risk if he waits as long as he can to sign and still get credit for the year. The Steelers used the CBA rules to their advantage with the tag and he's doing that with the games played / year credit rules allowing him to minimize his exposure to injury.

its going to cost him a lot of money this year, but he's banking on getting the deal he wants next season. I'd never give a running back that kind of money, but good for him on the effort.

5. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

There are clearly risks both ways, but you can't discount the money he isn't getting now - the contract needs to cover both the $14 million he doesn't get this year and the money he would have made anyway in the future. Not signing the tag only makes sense if you think there's a good chance you'll suffer a long-term (i.e., career-ending or close to it) injury this year. No running back has come close to the $30 million in guaranteed money Bell would have to get to make it worth it other than Barkley, and he got it because he was drafted #2 overall, not because he's a running back (which is another reason why the Giants drafting him #2 was such a risky decision - they are pretty much guaranteeing that they're going to be overpaying him for his position for 4 years).

JetBlue and Red Menace like this.
  6. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Great points, the only caveat with Barkley getting overpaid is this, his production will determine that not necessarily where he was drafted.

As for Bell I’m glad the Steelers are sticking to their guns. Let the employee take a stand for what he thinks is right, I have no problem with that, in the end Steelers will move on from him find another good RB and Bell is going to be an afterthought.

Is Bell going to give them back money when he misses games due to injury, or his production level falls off? I believe the answer is no, he will want them to honor their part of the agreement.

Personally, I believe Sanders did it the right way, play until you are still capable of enjoying you life and retire early if players are that worried about their health.

7. mute

mute Well-Known Member

A star is born every NFL season. If Conner runs like a madman on Sundays Bell lost.

Red Menace and NYJetsO12 like this.
  8. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Why ?

9. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Do you all realize that if Bell doesn't check in by Saturday (today) he stands to LOSE 800 k???

I am not in the NFL universe but any normal human would flinch pass out etc missing a sum like that!!!!

So imo BOTH sides here have a point ..the NFL will just use players till their bodies are shot ..and a man has a right to have a say how valuable a commodity he is and Levion certainly is going forward with that

OTOH he was stupid not to take the first deal the Steelers offered i.e. 14 mill for 2 years ( more than twice a RB gets per year) since he has overestimated his market value and teams would rather draft someone younger and cheaper ..just watch

Ahahah ..poor Steelers ..NEVER was a fan

10. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

He stands to lose ~$800k per week that he sits out. But in the long term it could pay off. However, Bell was offered a deal that paid $45m over 3 years and an average of $15m a year.

I think it was a 5 year, $70m contract. I think the hang up was guaranteed money. If Bell sits out until the week 10 cut off, he will stand to lose $8m of his $14m tag. If he can get over $6m in a contract next year, it’s a smart decision.

Personally, I would tell him to fuck himself. He does deserve a long term contact. That’s exactly what a 5 year $70m contract taking him into age 30-31 does. He believes he’s worth OBJ money, but sorry buddy. That’s not how RBs work in the NFL. You should have thought about before hand.

Red Menace and NYJetsO12 like this.
  11. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

He really is dumb and so is his greedy agent..but what else is new

No one who plays in the NFL will find the cure for cancer, win a Nobel Prize, lead the country into the 21st century or even KNOW how to write a bestseller but were gifted enough to smash thru a line of other guys..this is what our culture values ..just an upgrade from gladiatorial combat..smh 8xs and these bone heads can't live on the millions offered to them???

I listen to NFL radio and I like Ross Tucker who also was a Princeton graduate. But he homers for his ex players in NfL that "have to take care of their families " ..after earning a lifetime of millions ALREADY and COMPLAIN about extensions???..Meanwhile 40 per cent of Americans will be bankrupt by their 60s ...sad sad sad

mute and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  12. mute

mute Well-Known Member

Already posted and is from earlier this year but if he keeps up with this attitude then I guess he'll never play another down again.

13. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Part of me wants the Jets to trade for him now. Especially if Darnold goes out there tomorow and looks good.

The otherpart of me doesn't believe the current regime would do that because it would create 'expectations' which could be troublesone if ya know the team doesn't live up to it.

Better to play it safe, stay in the no mandate to make the playoffs zone.

14. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

James Conner rushed for 135 yards and 2 TDs (and fumbled once) today against the Browns. I wonder if this changes the standoff between La'Veon Bell and the Steelers? Conner was a guy I hoped the Jets would draft. I'm not advocating the Jets pursue Bell, but it might make things interesting.

15. 50ShadesOfGreen

50ShadesOfGreen Well-Known Member

What does this have to do with the New York Jets?

Jets69 likes this.
  16. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

There was an entire thread - now locked - with people here speculating about signing Bell.

17. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Ding ding.. The season has begun. Post in the correct section or thread gets locked. Period. Jets section is for current Jets team only.

Ralebird and Harpua like this.
  18. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

And if he blows out his knee he stands to lose $80M, so umm remember that math class lesson about less than or greater than...

19. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I feel like Bell is killing his value by sitting out. Teams aren't exactly going to be jumping at signing him in the off season (provided Pitt doesn't tag him again), and even Bell's teammates are calling him out. The Jets need to stay away from Bell. Isn't he one banned substance suspension away from a year long ban?

I really think the NFL needs to ditch the franchise tag. If a player doesn't want to sign with a team, he should have the freedom negotiate elsewhere.

20. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Fuck him. Run his bitch ass into the ground. Gurley and D. Johnson are better backs. He got offered more than both of them and he’s still bitching. Punk ass.