#FireBowles

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JethroTull, Jan 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

My exact sentiments. Bowles is a very decent human being. His story, overcoming hardship and turning his life around with hard work makes him a model citizen. But the reasons you state are spot on. I am rooting for him this year. I hope he turns it around and shows that he learned from his mistakes but I just don't think it will happen.

2. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Another season like the last 4 they will be hitting the street. That will be a given. Fans aren't gonna keep putting up with lackluster coaching. Everyone was shocked they got a 2-year extension. Does not mean they will see the end of that 2 years or the end of the 1st year. Macc might stay longer because he just drafts them. It's Bowels that ruins them after.

3. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

The only thing perennial with the Jets is losing. I guess you are new to the game. We that have been around alot longer have seen all different types of coaches come through the doors and I can say Bowles is one of the worst. You will eventually say the very same thing. You just need some comparisons. Bowels is right up there with Rich Kotitte and I thought I would never say that again. One day you will catch on for sure.

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  4. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

You are right, unfortunately, Bowles will coach the jets through at least 2019 and probably 2020. This owner (whichever brother it is) doesn't have the balls to make changes. I recently read that the jets are worth over $1B. It is so surprising to me that anyone making that big of an investment would tolerate mediocrity (actually sub-mediocrity) for so many years. This year will be no different -- 5-11, or 6-10, or 4-12. I think Bowles is probably a nice guy, which is part of the problem. Nobody liked playing for Lombardi or even liked him as a man but he was very sucessful. Former cardinal coach Stallings was very popular with his players but rarely had a winning record. In addition, Todd is fiercely loyal to his D coordinator who is outschemed every game AND Bowles is terrible at in-game decisions.Todd Bowles standing on the sidelines reminds of a guy just happy to be coaching in the NFL, and if we lose, well, we gave it our best shot. When you combine that with a GM who refuses to address the OL in the draft and does not see the need for a pass rush, the jets are going nowhere fast until they make some changes.

5. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

The team, if it plays hard and keeps moving forward is going to save his job. All the perceived issues, for all the times fans point to them, like it or not, can be justified by the lack of talent. Fans and coaches hardly ever see eye to eye and have completely different goals. You see a CS that doesnt pass the eye test, I see a CS with issues but somehow with his stoic, emotionless demeanor his teams, 2 out of three seasons outperformed the predictions based on the talent of the roster. All the talk of eye tests, his shortcomings never include an explanation as to how someone with all the shortcomings imagined have allowed for win totals in those seasons, those rosters.

6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I think the Johnsons have given Bowles this year as his "prove it" year. While there are holes, he does have a FQB-in-grooming. If Sam struggles because he seems confused, or the game plans/play calling doesn't help him, or the poor game-management issues continue, I think he's gone, and he should be. Yes, he's had challenges since he's been here, but every coach faces challenges, but the really good ones (SB-caliber) overcome them. Bowles has not shown that he can overcome them, or adapt to what he has, not what h wishes he had.

But if he does show improvement in those problem areas, and Sam progresses well, then I think he'll stick around for at least another year. If that happens, it means the team is doing well that's a good think, but he's going to need to show me a LOT of improvement for me to believe that he's a SB-caliber coach. I really hope he does show me, but the skeptic - honed by 55+ years of rooting for this team - doesn't think so.

tomdeb likes this.
  7. ColoradoContrails

So just because those of us who haven't been impressed by Bowles, think he should be replaced, you think we're going "freak the fuck out" if he actually proves us wrong and the Jets do well? IOW, what you're saying is that we're actually rooting against the success of the team. That we're really not Jets fans because we care enough to want the best coaching and results? WOW!

And what will you do if Bowles continues true to form and the team shoots itself in the foot and Sam looks lost or shell shocked? Continue to support Bowles and his methods?

I hope he FINALLY shows that he is a good coach, because I'm a Jets fan and have been probably longer than you've been alive, and want this franchise to FINALLY reward my loyalty and the loyalty of all the fans who have stuck with them despite them breaking our hearts every year. If I "freak the fuck out" if that happens, it will be out of happiness not anger.

NCJetsfan, KurtTheJetsFan and tomdeb like this.
  8. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

The season starts in 2 days, we finally have a potential franchise QB, and threads about replacing the head coach are 10x more active than the game discussion thread.

Pathetic.

FJF likes this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

How exactly is it "twisted" to want your team to win? So far, Bowles has not shown an ability to do that. Yes, he hasn't always had the talent, but there are too many times when the team looks unprepared, disorganized, and players out of position and/or the wrong schemes are used for the players he has. Frankly, the fans that point these things out and demand better are the BEST fans because we're passionate about the TEAM, not believing that an individual coach or player is more important than the team.

And this:

"All the perceived issues, for all the times fans point to them, like it or not, can be justified by the lack of talent."

WOW! Really ALL the issues have nothing to do with Bowles or the CS he picked? Are you also a believer in the idea presented here recently that "coaches don't make any difference"? It would seem so. Who is it that keeps trotting out the same players who make all these mistakes and never sits them until it becomes blindingly obvious they can't cut it? Who is it that decides to punt on 4th down and down 2 scores when his defense hasn't shown they can make a play all game?

Maybe the light bulb will finally go on this year for him...I hope so because I'm a fan for over 55 years and am tired of waiting for this team to reward my loyalty. But I don't have too many years left to be "patient" and wait for Todd Bowles to finally figure it out. As a fan I truly hope he does, but he better start doing it NOW.

NYJetsO12 and NCJetsfan like this.
  10. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Context is key.

Go back and re read every post I've made in this thread and other threads about Bowles and this franchise. If you don't want to, then please don't respond to my comment without first understanding my stance

11. Falco21

And if you root for this team and the success of this team, then good on you. My remark was geared towards those individuals on this forum that are constantly remaking on who will be available to sign as a new head coach once Bowles fails. I didn't call you or any other fan out that has hope for this team and for this coaching staff.

Making threads about potential coaches available next year and how Bowles and Mac should be fired before starting this season is irresponsible and ignorant, especially if this is the team you are rooting for.

So yes, I will laugh my fuckin ass off if Bowles does great and all those said posters disappear or suffer in misery despite the Jets succeeding. If you think all these posters on here are rooting for Bowles to succeed because they love this team, then you don't seem to understand many of these fans. Success is not always what's best for this team but rather what pushes their agenda.

LF911SC likes this.
  12. Falco21

Pathetic is putting it nicely.

But don't worry, all of these posters just want success for this team. None of them would rather watch Bowles fail :rolleyes:

13. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Hes rooting for the team to LOSE! He wants them to lose enough to fire him. He does this in every post about Bowles. Hes encouraged that they'll be able to justify firing Bowles even if they show some improvement. As if this is a good thing. I'm amazed at all the so called fans who are more concerned with the team having reason to fire the HC than for the team to win and keep him employed. The best scenario for any team.

Tell me when and how the team looks unprepared. The many times youve seen this. Which players were out of position and how often has it been a problem? Better yet, which players does he continue to put on the field that should be replaced and by who? You said this twice apparently you have an answer. How do you know they would perform better and deserve to play without being in practice, talking with the position coaches etc?

I mean, come on. How did he take a one win team, walk away with 5 wins when the team is making all the mistakes you've outlined?

#473 LF911SC, Sep 8, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
    Falco21 likes this.
  14. ColoradoContrails

I'll do that when you read every post I've made about Bowles and this franchise.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  15. Falco21

I didn't respond to your post calling you out directly. You did.

I don't want to go back and read your posts, hence why instead of taking one random post you made and making myself look like a fool, I chose to ignore them.

So if you want to call my post out, then do what any educated response requires, research

16. ColoradoContrails

Look, if you don't understand the frustration of fans who have rooted for this team for decades, and have shown unbelievable patience and faith in this team, despite not being rewarded for it, then don't make comments about them. This team - from the Johnsons on down - needs to know that fan patience is limited, and they need to start delivering on the broken promises they've made all these years. Demanding that your team show they care about winning and not just about raking in the money isn't a bad thing. Does a parent continue to reward their kids when the kids misbehave and underachieve? Parents who want problem children do. You get what you accept. When fans keep accepting poor to mediocre results, then that's what they'll continue to get.

NYJetsO12, NCJetsfan, tomdeb and 3 others like this.
  17. ColoradoContrails

No, instead you'll just make blanket accusations. I see the difference.

18. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

At the pro-level all these guys know their business. In the NFL the officials have more to do with winning and losing than the different coaches. Julio Jones' catch for example.

19. ColoradoContrails

I'm not going to try to defend someone else and what they meant. I'll speak only for myself. And Falco made a blanket indictment to which I objected being included in. And if you don't think Bowles (and possibly Macc) should be under the gun after 4 years of no real progress, then you're pretty easy to please.

As to the team looking unprepared, or players being out of position, use your own eyes. Are you claiming that Bowles has gotten everything out of the players he's had? That he's maximized their performances and covered up their shortcomings? Because that's what a good coach does, and if you think he's a good coach then we'll have to agree to disagree.

And as to taking a one win team and winning 5 games, most knowledgeable people never thought they would only win one game. You act like he should've won Coach of the Year for the miracle he wrought. They might well have won a few more had they had a better coach. Has he shown some progress in 4 years? Perhaps, but that's not going to be enough to keep him around if he doesn't "make the leap this year, especially with Darnold.

Again, I don't know how long you've been a fan, but I doubt you've lived through the decades of futility some of us have, so as the saying goes: "Don't criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes".

20. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I can't wait for Bowles and Kacy Rogers until the defense lights it up and Bowles gets an extension. Oh for heavens sake, it's been three years of waiting already.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.