Thrown To The Wolves...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJetsO12, Sep 5, 2018.

1. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

You have the internet. Definitions are just a few clicks away.

2. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Yeah, a hundred different definitions. Why are you afraid of clarifying and backing up your own words? Why won't you respond to my question? Or are you going to whine that I'm not being objective? Or maybe I'm trolling?

If you have a valid point to make, make it. Otherwise you can continue to duck the very issue you brought up. Ball's in your court, sonny.

3. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

This whole let him sit 5 or 6 games is lame.

What do you do if in that time frame the OL plays well and McCown is untouched. Winters and Long go down in week 5. Then what?

Sit Darnold the whole season?

4. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Exactly. I'm going to the AZ/Washington game and I would rather see 5 picks from Rosen than watch Sam Bradford throw 3 yards and a cloud of dust. Darnold needs the work. The fans need to see the future now.

When I was a kid, I used to go to Giant games when the Jets signed Namath. Namath created an entire generation of Jets fans who would have otherwise been Giant fans. The Giants Eli era is ending. This is mostly about Sam Darnold's development but it also may well mark the turn. The Jets with McCown at the helm makes them about as buzz worthy as Tampa Bay when they win 5 games.

If you want to get rid of SOJ, you need the balls to stop being SOJ.

5. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Totally agree. To me, Darnold has shown he can handle it. I also understand that he's going to have games that don't go his was any he'll struggle may even be the reaso we lose. But that may happen in week 7 if he starts week 4 or week 3. Point is, it's going to happen. I want Darnold to get it out of his system, learn in 2018 and be that much more ready to go in 2019. Why delay his development. If he can't handle. Couple of sacks a game, he's not getting sacked 60 times, he isn't the prospect we think he is.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Starts out politely with what a cad, finishes strong. Typical Brit; but you left out Good Day, Sir! I said GOOD DAY!

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  7. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Sorry ma'am ;)

jetophile likes this.
  8. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

You get riled up way to easily. If it will make you feel better about yourself, you can ‘win’ whatever game you think we’re playing...grandpa.

9. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

So? No valid point to make, kid? You made a dopey post and got called out on it. Deal with it.

10. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Haha.

11. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

I don't get how many here claim to opine that Darnold is 'ready' and that 'he can handle it' , when all he did was play 3 meaningless games
    against teams with vanilla defenses. Nothing personal but as Ripley was saying in Aliens II in a meeting with the marines: "Did IQ's drop all of sudden while I was away..."

All i can say is, there is no such thing as a 'ready' QB , no matter how good you think he is , with very questionable OL, TE and receiving group. And a weak group of RB's to add to the mix. Ranked 28th in total yds for 2017 - while giving up 47 sacks. And all they did was replace the center. Yes Darnold may be capable as a thrower and he certainly has shown some instinctive ability to evade the rushers against these vanilla defenses, but that's as far as it goes.

As I mentioned , watch the Lions games very intently because their pass rush has been labeled mediocre by a few 'experts'. If they give the Jets a rough time of it, it could open some eyes to realize what they have on the field and what they will be facing against better teams. In that regard, you have to be more than 'ready'......you have to be made of steal.

CBG likes this.
  12. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Oh come now, you can't go mentioning peoples IQ's and then drop a line from a space movie :)

Besides, do you possibly think they watched him at training camp and all that kind of stuff maybe ?

13. Pseudo Spike

Pseudo Spike Member

OMG some people...like WTF are you thinking. I deleted the pic to spare the future viewers.

14. BomberJet

I'm wondering if even some here were even born when that movie came out - that was one of my favorite lines :p

K'OB likes this.
  15. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

Couldn't disagree more. The only way to adjust to the speed of the game is to play. There is no expectation that the Jets are going to be a winning team There is no pressure on Darnold to win, just to play and learn. You can't learn sitting on the bench - there is no replacement for game experience. Hopefully he can get through the year without injury and we'll draft some weapons and linemen in order to make a legit run next year and in the years ahead.

16. Bowles Movement

Bowles Movement Active Member

I loved the interactions between Hudson and Vasquez
    Hudson”. Hey Vasquez, has anybody ever confused you with a man”?
    Vasquez “ No. How about you?”

And all the “Game over “ stuff was great

Red Menace, NCJetsfan and BomberJet like this.
  17. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I became inactive here years ago, though I frequently lurk and read. But this thread I couldn't resist. We talk about being the "same old jets" - but this topic is the same old Jets fans. "We got something shiny - lets hurry and ruin it".

Of course the OP is correct. Starting Sam now is highly risky and not really the smartest move. This guy has taken zero snaps in the actual NFL. Sure he has great potential but is he really ready for the speed of the game from an actual starting defense? Probably not. The speed is of both the DL and DBs is always the biggest shock for rookies. This could be a disaster waiting to happen. Learning these adjustments from the sideline is perhaps the most beneficial part of sitting a rookie - not learning the playbook. Once he has a handful of games to absorb just how much this isn't college than he can start to learn behind center, and actually be more prepared for it.

On top of that he has to learn this on the road on national TV, behind a mediocre OL. Shitting the bed on national TV does get into players heads, no matter what they say. Do I hope he lives up to the task - absolutely. But this is not a good gamble to take. The Lions defense is pretty "meh" and thats the only thing Sam has going his way. To be honest McCown with his experience would probably have a better chance of winning this game.

When we look at the pros and cons of this situation the only pro is being in a hurry. This is not much to hang our hats on when we are not a complete team yet. "Sanchize" had a complete team - perhaps some of our best teams ever around him. But Sam - not so much yet. If we were serious about developing Sam than to give him the best chance to succeed he would not start until week 5 or later. Why are so many making excuses for risky, low return decisions with our future.

Go Sam - Go Jets! Prove me wrong. But we are not going about this the right way. The smart money says Sam should sit for a month.

#97 ouchy, Sep 8, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
    NCJetsfan and BomberJet like this.
  18. Bowles Movement

Disagree 100 per cent. The kid is a prodigy. He will be good this year and great next year. He’s mentally tough and the game has already slowed down for him. If he plays all year I think he gives us a chance to make the playoffs

19. BomberJet

A few concussions will fix that.

But seriously, he may be mentally tough but so are many other QBs in this league. Same can be said for Watson, Wentz, Rodgers. They all got hurt - Mentally tough doesn't prevent you from getting your bell rung by LB's and DE's.

20. Bowles Movement

He is so decisive and mobile, and he’s not dainty. He doesn’t hold onto the ball. I think the risk is less than you think it is.