POLL: Which Unit Will Be The Best, Or Surprise This Season

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Sep 7, 2018.

?

Which unit will be a surprise for the BETTER

1. Offence Unit Will Surprise

24 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Defence Unit Will Surprise

6 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Special Teams Will Surprise

6 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

I chose the Offense because I feel they were able to move the ball against the 1st team defenses well in pre-season. Special teams was a wreck....hope they can get it together, and Defense, well I am not buying the bend but don't break theory. We gave up too many easy yards when the first string was in there....ala Giants game.

#1 BudJet, Sep 7, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
  2. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

sorry, I cant go with any of the options :(

I am not saying that any element (other than special teams) is going to be much worse but i dont see any side of the ball getting much better relative to last year given we are playing with a rookie QB and havent really added anything to the D and still have zero pass rush

Brook!, Jets69, boozer32 and 3 others like this.
  3. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

I don't think the D will be much better than most expect, I do think the ST will be almost as bad as expected but I think the O will surprise

4. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I'm with you, only with the caveat that it's possible that the offense will surprise, since it could be that Darnold will be a star from day 1. I don't expect it, and I certainly don't expect the defense or special teams to be a happy surprise - I think we know exactly what they are and what they aren't.

Brook!, NYJetsO12, NCJetsfan and 2 others like this.
  5. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

The WR corps is the best, deepest unit on the team by far IMO.

Just how good depends on two things:

1. Enunwa's return from his injury.

and

2. Darnold.

If both fall favorably for the Jets it could be one of the top units in the entire NFL.

6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I'm going to say the defense. 2 good corners, stout d line, up and coming safeties, I think they will be very good against the run and will allow bowles to send those a gap blitzes. just hope maye gets healthy soon

Brook!, BacktoQueens and LF911SC like this.
  7. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

The OL is terrible--ranked 31st going into THIS season--it means no holes and no protection
    The D has no pass rush and will not get the D off the field
    The jets punting team and kickoff return team will get a lot of work

ESPN today predicted the jets for 6 wins this year

NYJetsO12 and boozer32 like this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

The offense will be the best unit. I will be surprised if the defense does much better than last year given they still haven't found a pass rush answer. The S.T.'s seems primed for a terrible season.

I keep asking myself why/how can other franchises turn their teams around and/or rebuild while the Jets seem to always be coming up short? If Sam IS the real deal, AND he stays healthy, maybe they can finally build upon his shoulders. But I've got to say it's a mystery how the Jets cant seem to do what other teams have done, repeatedly, over the decades. I really hope they finally have the answer.

tomdeb likes this.
  9. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Offensive line - expectations are so low at this point they can’t be much worse. I predict after a couple weeks of working on gelling, it won’t be bad especially in pass protection. The interior line looks better now that Wesley Johnson is gone. Shell is the real wildcard for me, but if he looks improved over last year then it would greatly help this unit.

#9 Quinnenthebeast, Sep 7, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
  10. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

I disagree.

On paper, the defense should be considerably better, especially if Adams and Maye get better in year 2. I'm not saying that this will pan out in practice, but I certainly think they are more talented on defense this year.

BacktoQueens, FJF and LF911SC like this.
  11. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Defense. 2 cover corners, a 1 brought in and last year's 1 slides to 2. Skrine goes back to the slot where he belongs. All this allows Bowles to go back to being the blitz happy coach that he's always been before here as a DC.

I do think the offense will carry it's weight but whole Darnold may have growing pains the defense is ready to go

boozer32 likes this.
  12. LF911SC

Jets are in year 2 of a total rebuild. Who are these teams that rebuild the entire roster in a season. Repeatedly?

13. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Seems kinda high. Mainly for the very reasons you mention. QB's will have tons of time to throw. Darnold will be in great shape with all the running he will be doing. The special teams have been awful from Day 1 with Bowels.

14. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

I will give you the part about pass rush on D.
    But to say they haven’t added anything.
    Avery Williamson and Trumaine Johnson are both upgrades over last year.
    I am expecting by mid season that we will be considering Nathan Shepherd to be a pretty big upgrade.
    Add that Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye in year 2 should be getting even better, I think this years D will be a lot better than last.

15. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

The teams I referred to don't have to do a "total rebuild"...that's the point. Their management is proactive and has foresight and a blueprint of what their team should be. Unlike the Johnsons (and Hess before them) don't have any clue.

Why do you think that teams like the Steeler, Packers, Cowboys, Vikings, Patriots (AAARRGGHHH!!!) are always in the mix? Sure they have a down season, but not whole fucking decades! And then there are the other teams, the occasional winners, who might go a few years in the desert, but then emerge and reward their fans with a couple years of greatness. I've been through countless "total rebuilds" and "rebuilds on the fly", and the one thing that's constant is that the Jets ownership has had not clue about who to hire to build a competitive franchise, or if they do, they interfere and fuck it up.

Sorry, but this franchise has not earned the right to take its sweet time, "total rebuild" or not. I'm not saying they need to make the playoffs this year - in fact I'd be pleasantly shocked if they did - but they had damn well make significant, sustainable progress or changes need to be made. You know, if you make a wrong turn, simply continuing to stay on your path doesn't mean you'll eventually get there. As maddening as it is, in that case you need to turn around and get on the right path rather than get even more lost.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  16. LF911SC

So you have no point. Youre point is to compare us to teams in a different situation and then ask why? Packers sucked for years, decades and then have been good. Pats blew for almost all of their existence and since Brady and BB have won but havent rebuilt. How many years, through Montana and then Young were the 49rs great? They fit the bill of your list. Montana and Young gone and they were lousy for how long be Harbaughs short run?

Its nice that you want to tell me that the team hasnt earned for a "total rebuild" but that doesnt mean its right. This regime came in, added players and made a playoff run to 10 wins. It fell apart the next season and they CORRECTLY gutted the team of older, ineffective players and started over. They have remade the roster, lets see how this season plays out before crying that its taking too long for the i want wins today crowd.

BTW, wtf has Chris Johnson done wrong? Other than have a brother that people have always whined about. Even when they had nothing to complain about

FJF likes this.
  17. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Well we won 5 games last year so if 6 seems high then were screwed.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  18. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

The offense will be a top 10 unit by the end of the season. :D

19. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

Look how long the Jaguars, Rams, Texans, Browns, (although they haven't won yet...they will), Saints were one of the worst teams for a long time, they all took a lot of years of picking top 5 in Draft to get where they are. If you wan't to blame one thing on why we haven't put it together it is because we were not a perennial top 5 pick in the Draft like these other teams who turned it around. The other reason is the teams you mentioned all had fqb. ..Packers, Cowboys, Patriots, which is the most important piece to building a team.

20. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Defense has a good chance of going Top 10 this season..

Offense and Specials may be a little rough yet.

FJF likes this.