Jets sign Davis Webb to the PS, add second QB savior

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

Honestly in that draft we could have thrown darts at 12 players and hit on more players than he did

rinvesto and NCJetsfan like this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I totally agree, especially with Darnold being only 20 at the time. He could have sat for two years behind Eli and still been younger than most QBs entering the NFL and had a long career for them, and if Eli faltered at any point, he could have stepped right in.

3. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

Jets punking the Giants all day long lol

Now they get to watch Darnold and Webb too in their own building

4. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

The Webbsize! Why was Jethro Tull banned again? Turns out he was a modern day prophet.

5. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

This is when I first took notice of Webb, at the 2017 Senior Bowl. I couldn't find his TD pass on isolated video, so if you fast forward to about the 3:00 minute mark, you'll see a nice TD throw by him for about 50 yds.

#105 westiedog1, Sep 5, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

They have to put him on for three weeks, which is certainly a small price to pay if you need a backup QB. They can also offer him more money, of course. What the Jets have done makes it unlikely that another team will want to sign him to be a third QB, but you're absolutely right that if a team comes calling with a job on the roster as a backup QB that has to be very appealing to Webb. My view is that by doing this the Jets hope that Webb will do them the courtesy of giving them the first shot at putting him on the roster. If Webb looks good in practice, we're talking about November or December, and the Jets are not in playoff contention, I could easily see the Jets asking McCown to retire and promoting Webb to the roster so they don't lose him.

GQMartin and ColoradoContrails like this.
  7. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I hear you but he's still a rookie. he's going to make mistakes. he needs to have the coaches show him what went wrong in those cases and help him work on fixing it.

8. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Browns

9. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah, it was a weird way to put it, now that I think about it. :D I think Webb was a good pick-up though. If he develops into a solid back-up, then that would be great.

Like the username change. Well done! :cool:

Quinnenthebeast likes this.
  10. Bowles Movement

Bowles Movement Active Member

I think the deal was they pay him as if he is on the roster to ensure he doesnt leave mid season. He lives in ny metro area and was happy not to relocate last minute

GQMartin likes this.
  11. Bowles Movement

Bowles Movement Active Member

He played well against Detroits starters. 14/20 w a TD and passer rating over 100. Most teams would "settle" for that in a back up

12. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

The Colts and the Bills have been brutal the last few years.

K'OB likes this.
  13. DefenseWinsChampionships

Hindsight is always 20/20 but just imagine if Idzik had hit on just our first 4 picks...

Rd 1: Brandin Cooks (WR) over Calvin Pryor.

Rd 2: Jarvis Landry (WR) over Jace Amaro.

Rd 3: Trai Turner (OG) over Dexter McDougle.

Rd 4: Telvin Smith (LB) (Drafted in the 5th) over Jalen Saunders.

And there lies the difference between an excellent A++ draft and an awful one.

And it's not even hindsight because 99.9% of Jet fans were screaming for those WR's heading into the draft and who were available (and them some) during both our 1st & 2nd round picks and then he goes out and drafts a Safety and TE with our two picks. Unbelievable.

Just imagine Sam Darnold having both of Jarvis Landry and Robby Anderson on the outside along with Brandin Cooks and Quincy Enunwa working out of the slots. Good God.

Or what if he would have just traded up into the 4th with all of those draft picks for my dude out of FSU in Devonta Freeman? It literally broke my heart to see one of my favorite Florida State kids go literally one pick ahead of us while we drafted Saunders right after but knowing Idzik he would've passed on Freeman and N.E takes him the very next pick.

Worst GM.