Jets sign Davis Webb to the PS, add second QB savior

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Sep 4, 2018.

1. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Why not if they think he is better than the other guy. Too much analysis.

2. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

You never know. He could be the Jets backup QB in a couple years. The Giants releasing him is basically a "fuck you" to Macadoo, IMO. It seems a bit premature to give up on a 3rd round QB after just one season.

3. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

yeah i agree on that and it does feel a bit more like house cleaning since they kept the "trickshot" QB over webb. Still if webb was any good he'd at least be on a roster. since he's on the PS any team can sign him away from us at any time to their active roster (i'd bet my left nut NE does this during the season likely before they play us)

4. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I like the signing and urged it as soon as Webb was available. God forbid Darnold suffers a serious injury, but if he does, then play Webb, and not McNown. I do not see the benefit of playing a 39 year old at QB again unless the injury to Darold happens early in the season or the jets are seriously in the playoff mix.

Red Menace likes this.
  5. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Weird way to put it, but I think if Mac then traded for Webb for a 6th rounder we would think thats a good trade. The guy was a 3rd rounder just last year.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  6. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

With Bates at OC and Lombardi at assistant coordinator, it seems to me that McCown is already the de facto QB coach and Sam's personal mentor.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  7. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

What you miss Mark Brunell?

stinkyB and Red Menace like this.
  8. Jetsruby

Jetsruby Well-Known Member

Macc has figured out the formula.

STEP ONE: Pick up promising/hyped up young QB
    STEP TWO: Play him in preseason, give him some nice vanilla
    STEP THREE: $$Profit$$

Next offseason we'll be able to trade Davis Webb for a 3rd round pick and pick up our next ready-to-bake QB.

9. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Call me crazy but I would put Webb on the active roster. No point letting other teams take him from us for free if one of their guys gets injured.

Webb had a solid college career and a very good combine.

Sky is the limit.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  10. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I agree, he's more valuable than the typical back of the roster guy. He can be a long-term backup option or trade bait next preseason.

James Hasty likes this.
  11. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Isn't this why they are paying him 650k to turn down those offers and in reality he is all but on our roster anyway ?

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  12. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

He's not ON the roster though. On the practice squad any other team can approach him if they want. They have to put him on their active 53 man roster for a number of weeks, I forget how many, but there's nothing the Jets can do to stop them. No compensation required. So he is vulnerable to an approach from any team that loses a QB in season at any point (fairly sure trade deadline doesn't apply to PS) and wants a back up for a month or so. By raising the salary above that of the normal PS player and above NFL minimum it is an incentive for Webb to stay put if someone does approach him.

stinkyB likes this.
  13. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

From all accounts, Darnold doesn't need that level of tutoring. If he did, he wouldn't be starting. At this point, the kid needs snaps in real games and experience is still the best teacher. All Bates and McCown should be doing is the occasional whisper when the kid does something wrong. Webb really should be the #2 QB and McCown can be the hybrid QB coach/#3.

14. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

John Wolford we hardly knew ye. Heading back to Wall Street, I guess. What happened to that Joel Stave guy that I never heard of? Was he waived a while back? I really hope the Giants suck in 2018. Hopefully forever, just to stick it to the Maras. It would amuse me. I'll have to re-watch the Jets/Giants game to see how bad Webb was, haha. Did the Giants sign a replacement? Not that I give two craps about them.

15. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

U said that about Wolford, Sylvia Browne! Wolford is 0/0 for bringing the VLT to the NYJs! Last time I listen to you! About anything! :mad::mad::mad:

16. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

Webb may never amount to anything but I'm not sure how anyone could look at this move and not like it. Its a practice squad position for a guy with skills who needs time to work on his game. This is a way better option than John Wolford.

17. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

I love it but I just don’t understand how the Giants, the well oiled machine of upstanding citizens, could have misread this situation so badly.

The new FO had to have looked at film of him last year in preseason and practice and at the very least had OTAs and a minicamp this year to see him first hand.

That he didn’t make it past this cut, to me, implies that he couldn’t have been very good during ANY of that.

They HAD to know he was not a future FQB and with likely the best QB since Luck sitting there at 2 and passing him up for a RB is mind-boggling.

I get that they love Eli and are counting on him for 2 more years but the future of the Giants was just sitting there waiting to be had.

It’s almost criminal. If I were a Giant fan I’d be painting banners and hiring Cessnas.

I can’t believe I’m saying this but thank God, for once, I’m a Jet fan.

#97 Rollo Tomassi, Sep 5, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
    NCJetsfan and Attackett like this.
  18. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

That is what I was saying, essentially bribing him to stay put without going on the roster properly, so he feels he is all but on the roster anyways

MoWilkBeast likes this.
  19. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

As much as we don't notice it because we focus on the Jets basically every team messes up draft picks and actually multiple draft picks

20. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

And some MUCH worse. Well, not as bad as that one Idzik clusterfuck.

But still.

Cman68 likes this.