Backup quarterback?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by westiedog1, Sep 3, 2018.

1. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Do you have any ideas? In my mind a third string QB doesn't have to be a world beater. He just has to be a decent game manager; hand he ball off, don't fumble, don't throw picks, a punt is a good result in an offensive series, etc.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No, I really haven't paid much attention to the QBs who were cut or to the QBs who were in this year's draft aside from the top 4. IMO ideally, it would be someone that could possibly develop into the Jets future #2 QB, someone who has a similar arm and playing style to Darnold, just needs work on reading Ds or on his accuracy. I don't think they'd want someone who would require a total shift in the way the offense plays.

3. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Pryor would suffice in case of emergency.

He's passed for more yards as a QB than he's caught as a receiver.

stinkyB likes this.
  4. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Name a team that has 3 good-decent QB's. I'll wait.

PS, McCown is more then fine as a backup.

5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree that he is if he stays healthy. The problem is that he can't stay healthy. IMO the Jets should have a developmental QB on the roster or PS to hold the clipboard, someone who hopefully could develop into their backup QB in 2019 or 2020.

6. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I think this is a mistake. From what I saw the other night, this guy doesn't just have a weak arm, but an extremely weak one. The long pass he threw stayed aloft for way too long. He will get eaten up by NFL defenses. The Jets could do way better than that for a 3rd QB option. We don't need another developmental QB, Darnold is our developmental QB.

7. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

What has Kelly shown so far? I mean he might turn into a serviceable back up but besides that I don't see it. Sure as a 7th round pick it's worth a roll of the dice but the Brady/6th round parallel is completely out there.

8. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

ehhh.... a #3 QB should be a prospect with upside. Otherwise if they reach that point, the teams fuked and just plug a JAG in and hope for the best

The Dark Knight likes this.
  9. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yep. If Darnold and McCown go down, the season is over anyway. So you don't really need a 3rd QB on the roster at the moment.

10. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

If we should ever reach this horrible point then we just plug Pryor in there and start thinking about the draft. Can't imagine a season with both McCown and Darnold on the shelf

stinkyB likes this.
  11. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

Qvale would be better than Petty

playtowinthegame likes this.
  12. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Yeah, Pryor can play emergency QB without wasting another roster spot. We're screwed if it gets to that anyway.

stinkyB and CotcheryFan like this.
  13. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I probably would have tried to pick up Webb as 3rd QB, and maybe the jets did and he refused. On the other hand, perhaps the jets don't want any young competition to Sam, for fear that some fickle fans may call for his benching if he has a couple of bad weeks. I would have tried to pick up a better young QB than what they did, in the event Sam suffers season-ending injury, and they wanted a long look at someone younger than 39.

14. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I make no claims to know whether one young QB who has never played is better than another young QB who has never played, but I would point out that the Jets are under no obligation to "bring up" Wolford as QB if Darnold or McCown goes down. They can sign any QB they want who is not on a 53-man roster (who is willing to sign with them), including anyone who is on another team's practice squad. Presumably you'd rather go with a player who has been around the team all year, but you don't have to.

NCJetsfan likes this.