We now have our FQB to build our O-Line (offense) around:

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DefenseWinsChampionships, Sep 3, 2018.

1. DefenseWinsChampionships

And for me it's an exciting feeling to know so.

I've seen so many of our fans complain and/or harp all over Mike Maccagnan for not addressing our O-Line...

But it's almost impossible to build an offense without (first) having your Franchise caliber signal caller in place (in order to build around).

We can just use the Dallas Cowboys as an example.

Dallas has truly built their O-Line and their entire Offensive attack around their Franchise QB in Tony Romo (and it was not the other way around).

Tony Romo became a full time starter back in 2006.

Q: Why do you think it is that Dallas has had the privilege of drafting three 1st round O-Lineman and another two 1st round skilled position player(s) in Dez & Zeke @ WR/RB over the years?

A: It's because they've had a FQB under Center throughout the entire process (Tony Romo).

Yes, although a hypothetical scenario but I highly doubt that without Tony Romo (first being in place); that any one of those five players mentioned (above) would have ever been drafted by Dallas to begin with.

And without alredy having Tony Romo in place, Dak Prescott (himself) would not have the luxury of being blessed with the type of O-Line & 1st round RB in which he's currently privileged to play with (due to being built around a FQB before he ever arrived).

It really shouldn't be a question on why our first three 1st round draft picks (Williams/Lee/Adams) along with a 2nd round draft pick (Maye) have all been spent on defense - rather than offense - before the drafting of Sam Darnold ever took place (come 2018).

Without at least having a strong defense in place you'll literally have zero chance of competing while being a team without a Franchise caliber signal caller (and a bad offense).

Therefore a great defense is the only unit within footballl in which can actually carry a team with a bad offense (due to lacking a Franchise Quarterback).

And that's why Maccagnan as a GM has gone defense year after year (while in search of his first Franchise QB in order to build his offense around).

Scenario 1A
    Scenario 1B
    Just my thoughts but I truly do believe that we'll (now begin to) see Maccagnan completely Re-Vamp our entire offense (around Sam Darnold) over the next two offseasons (2019/2020).

And come 2020 the entire landscape of our offense and our offensive philosophy will look entirely different; now that we've (finally) got a QB such as Sam Darnold to (actually) build around.

#1 DefenseWinsChampionships, Sep 3, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
    Pags2112 likes this.
  2. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Another ill informed thread brought to you by PhiLLy Stacks

There you have it folks, according to TampaBayJetsFan85, "it's almost impossible to build an offense without (first) having your Franchise caliber signal caller in place". KnicksFanFromQueens1985 lets us know "a great defense is the only unit within football in which can actually carry a team with a bad offense".

Where do you even come up with this horse shit? Dallas wouldn't draft O line or offensive skill players if they didn't have Romo? What about the Eagles? They have a loaded O line with two tackles and a center, TE, WR, that were all acquired before Wentz got there.

Thinking you know anything about football and then claiming teams can't build an O line or draft offensive skill players without having a FQB first has to be one of the most ridiculous things I have ever read on here.

TwoHeadedMonster, joe, Jets69 and 3 others like this.
  3. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

I guess in hindsight we might say that before Dak Prescott was made the starter for Dallas their O line was already in place.

4. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

But it makes so much sense. Get a franchise QB first. Let him get sacked repeatedly behind a horseshit OL. After getting him beaten down totally for a year or two, then START to think that maybe, just maybe, you should build an OL with more than undrafted free agents and throwaways. Mike McNuts for executive of the year!

TwoHeadedMonster, joe and CBG like this.
  5. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

Yo, once you gots your FQB, then you get your OL grind on.

Pags2112 likes this.
  6. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

Our entire team is Canton bound

7. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Can we all just see what they do next year before freaking out? I am not happy about it either, but I have also been wanting a FQB for a long time. They will have more cap space than any other team and if they fail to address again than we can call for their heads.

8. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

After giving this GM and coach 4 drafts (2015-2018) , now we should "wait until next year" to ascertain if they have a clue?

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

My two cents. FQBs are extremely hard to come by and there is a lot of luck involved in getting one. Its timing, patience, planning ahead and lots of luck. Good teams would never wait for "the man to arrive" to build a supporting cast, and will always have a pipeline of draft picks to keep both sides of the line staffed with talent. Without it no one survives. The best QB to arguably come out in the last 12 years, Andrew Luck, will never be as prolific as he could have been because of the stupidity of not providing him with any protection in the OL during the early years.

10. DefenseWinsChampionships

You do know that Caldwell (Jaguars GM) only went 15-49 during his first 4 years (.234%) from 2013-2016 before breaking out as a 5th year GM last year (2017), right?

Some of the All-Time great GM's never reached greatness after only their first 3 years, you do know that, right?

Pags2112 and LAJet like this.
  11. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Some of us have been giving them the benefit of the doubt for decades. I know this regime isn't the same one over all the time, but they need to understand the urgency of the situation. I'm not expecting playoffs this year, but I AM expecting to see Bowles & Co. show they're capable of winning and making their players better.

tomdeb and Pags2112 like this.
  12. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Great put. I'm a little more patient than most but will give you this one. If Mac does not significantly beef up the line in 2019 via draft and free agency, such as to become our prime strength as opposed to our significant weakness, he will have put himself at grave peril to remain with the organization. Something I really hate to see. I'm even hoping for some help this year to strengthen at least the bench. The bold is music to my ears and something I have been preaching since 2016. I don't think, however, that Todd has the acumen to do so.

13. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I think MacCagnan is a long way from "greatness" if that is what you are selling. I doubt Caldwell is on record like MacCagnan stating he believes you can build an offensive line without using any decent draft picks. Nor do I believe Caldwell or anyone else with a brain would go thru four consecutive drafts and choose only two offensive lineman out of 28 players drafted, and both in round five. OMG, does MacCagnan even know that you need more offensive lineman per play than any other position? Dumb dip.