2018 NFL Countdown to Kickoff

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by matt robinson 17, May 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Yes he did go to the Packers first. I remember reading a season preview magazine (this was before the internet really took off) that was praising the Packers for taking someone with O'Brien's experience and class.

mrjet80 likes this.
  2. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

O'Brien would have had a much better fate if not for the pounding he took on that shoulder time and time again.....

3. ukjetsfan

I also remember reading in (I think) Sports Illustrated, that he developed bicep tendinitis during that 1986 season when he fell apart at the end of the year. I have never been able to find the article or get it confirmed elsewhere, but he was never the same after that end-of-season meltdown.

4. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

No you cant make this shit up......this team has had so much happen - the cast of characters both on and off the field producing subpar results for decades. yes there have been pockets of cheer but they are certainly few and far between......

regarding boomer, he was pissed at many teams passing him in 84 however he was especially steamed at the jets who did scout him coming out of maryland, even with obrien in the fold.

5. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Or if he knew how/when to the throw the damn ball away. It was maddening. I mentioned this in another thread and I'll repeat that this trait could never be coached out of him. Sam Darnold is already doing that part right and he's in diapers. O'Brien had a great arm for sure, but he was extremely stupid about getting rid of the ball. Jesus H, you'd sit there in suspended animation holding your breath over how long he would hold onto it. Throw it away, for Pete's sake! Sacked. Sacked. Sacked. Sacked. Sacked. Sacked. Sacked. Sacked. Sacked. Sacked. Sacked. Sacked. Sacked. "THROW IT AWAY (yells entire section)!" It's possible that Ken O'Brien was sacked more times than the Patriots cheated. Think about that.

One of my favorite Jets jokes that I'll drag out of the vault for the millionth time: Just the thought of Ken O'Brien makes my knees buckle.

6. jetophile

Haha, I left for the UK in September '86 (was at and did catch the epic win vs. Miami before I left, though) and was in Europe for four months with just a T-shirt on my back. I called my Daddy collect every Sunday from payphones to see if the Jets won (once from Victoria station), lol. I got home on December 22nd and my Daddy scowled at me in Newark Airport before he hugged me to pieces. The scowling part explained: the Jets took a nose-dive and he said, "You should have stayed there if ya knew what's good for ya." The five losses in a row at the end of the season, brutal. We were driving home and I flicked on the radio. Jets lost 50 - 17 or something horrible like that the day before against the Bengals. Daddy smoking a Cuban cigar and driving with one hand looked at me and said, "Welcome home." LMAO.

7. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Was he eating a hot dog there? Or smoking a doobie?

8. jetophile

I used to think it was a cigarette (Maynard did used to smoke cigs), but someone else pointed out that it was smelling salts. I concur.

The Waterboy likes this.
  9. The Waterboy

I guess when this thread gets down to the low single digits the kickers get no love.
    Bobby Howfield, the longest tenured #3 if I recall correctly
    [​IMG]

10. ukjetsfan

So it was YOU!

11. jetophile

Yes, it was. In some form or another I was always somehow to blame. Over the years it morphed into my coming home for ruining the season, as if I was a bad luck charm and it was all my fault because as soon as I was flown over American air space, I caused it. If I stayed in Europe a little longer, it wouldn't have turned out that way, haha.

12. jetophile

Why is #52 named after a concentration camp?

13. jetophile

@The Water Boy, I thought we were on #5? What do I know from these things.

#5 Pat Leahy. BEFORE!!!

[​IMG]
    AFTER!!!

[​IMG]

Being a Jet will age anyone in a New York minute.

NY Jets68 likes this.
  14. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

Isn't it 4 Days until Thursday, September 6?

Sunday, September 2...............4 DAYS
    Monday, September 3.............3 DAYS
    Tuesday, September 4.............2 DAYS
    Wednesday, September 5........1 DAY
    Thursday, September 6 KICKOFF CLASSIC

On Thursday the countdown is over. There is no 00 jersey anymore in the NFL or ever for the Jets.

15. The Waterboy

His name is probably why he lasted till the 14th round of the draft

From his wikipedia profile

Krakau is a member of the Iowa High School Athletic Association Football Hall of Fame. In 2007, he was inducted into the Iowa State University Athletics Hall of Fame. His favorite granddaughter is Amber Krakau. As his only granddaughter, she is his favorite by default.

16. The Waterboy

Saw #6 last Thursday which would mean #5 on Friday, #4 on Saturday, #3 today

My first post in the thread and I screwed up already

Edit: I blame it on leap years even though this isn't one

17. jetophile

Leap years and this is coming from a Februarian. February 29th. Fukk you Alice O'Rielly from High School. I think she's still 16 or something. What a bitch.

18. ukjetsfan

If it turns out you left the country again during Wild Card weekend and then came back in time for the Jets' visit to Cleveland, I'm afraid we will have to ritually burn you at the stake. Nothing personal, you understand, but that sort of evidence would be compelling.

19. Jetsruby

Jetsruby Well-Known Member

Chad Hansen just got picked up by the Patriots....I mean......yeah.

20. jetophile

I like and appreciate your contributions, but can you please shave the size of your signature down? I don't need subliminal suggestions about Dunkin Donuts super sized lattes as a man thinketh. Not being mean or nit picky, it's just a suggestion because it's distracting at times and takes away from what you have to say. It's fine, just make it smaller. Thanks.

#820 jetophile, Sep 2, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.