Oh Well Mack Headed to the Bears

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by NCJetsfan, Aug 8, 2018.

?

What would you give up in a trade for Khalil Mack?

1. Next year's 1st round pick

45 vote(s)
    45.9%
  2. 2020's 2nd and 3rd round picks

13 vote(s)
    13.3%
  3. Package of players - please be specific

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Package of players and draft picks - please be specific

10 vote(s)
    10.2%
  5. Other

3 vote(s)
    3.1%
  6. Wouldn't trade for him

27 vote(s)
    27.6%
  1. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Never said he wasn't an all time great Jet--just said he wasn't the greatest all time Jet and that I don't think he was the greatest Jet RB.

He's one of my favorite Jets, and a worthy HOFer.

2. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Apologies.

Of all the options being currently discussed, the one I can get most behind is a trade for Mack. Worth the draft capital, worth the money, would make our defense 10X better (can't imagine what that secondary could do with a pass rushing demon and all around stud DE) and thereby help the offense (by keeping them on the field) and would be a great locker room presence.

3. Axel574

Axel574 Active Member

Could not agree with this more... wanna start seeing the backs make more plays on the ball? It starts with forcing the QB into uncomfortable pockets and quick decisions.

Mack is worth a 2019 1st and I would make that trade in the blink of an eye.

4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Amen jonnyd.

When you play running back there is no such thing as "compiler" as a criticism. It's literally your job to compile yards and touchdowns. Its not like he's swinging a stick at ball or something, people actually did try to stop him from running!!!! he got tackled and stuff sometimes

5. DefenseWinsChampionships

Yes. Exactly. And against elite front 7's too, who would literally stack the box 8 and 9 deep (all) because Pennington had arm limitations in which opposing defenses did not respect. Only a clueless tool wouldn't understand any of the above and one who lacks knowledge of the NFL RB position would harp all over "4.0 yards per carry". Martin had more 1,000 yard seasons and as many All-Pro selections as all 3 of Snell, Boozer and McNeil combined. My grandfather would have rolled over in his grave had he heard that guy speaking about his favorite Martin like that. Absolutely unreal.

#405 DefenseWinsChampionships, Aug 23, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
  6. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I don’t think it’s debateable that CMart is the best Jets RB of all time. Bell would be the most talented Jets RB of all time. I’m kinda torn on whether the Jets should go all in on him next offseason. On one hand the Jets have oodles of salary cap room & Bell is the type of player that would be a huge help to Darnold and would take this offense to a new level we haven’t seen in a long time.

On the other though he is getting up there and has a lot of mileage on those legs. I also do have some concerns about his attitude and Mo Wilk potential after getting paid.

No mixed feelings on Mack though. I’d give up a 1st and make him the highest paid defensive player in a nanosecond. The question is how much more than a 1st would I have to give up.

Sam Hammer likes this.
  7. DefenseWinsChampionships

One could play devil's advocate and use the same (exact) stance against Khalil Mack, as those use against Le'Veon Bell.

"He's too old (even older than Bell) at 27 years old".

"You should draft your own homegrown Pass Rusher from the draft".

"He's not worth the insane cap space he'll demand (let alone multiple draft picks including a 1st and then some).

"He's a selfish Mevis type of locker room cancer who will turn his back on his teammates and hold out for $$$$".

"Too many miles on his pass rushing legs".

"Will become an uninspired type of Mo Wilkerson lazy good for nothing bum after his mega payday".

"The greatest pass rushers of All-Time don't win SB's (they really don't)".

Etc. Etc.

And I'm really tired of hearing about this garbage lie of an NFL pass rusher is "more important" to the game of Football than "just an RB".

Because I can name you plenty of All-Time sack artists in which never led their teams to SB titles".

And it's something in which people refuse to talk about, let alone acknowledge.

Well, I will.

Bruce Smith: 200 sacks (1st).
    Kevin Greene. 160 sacks (3rd).
    Julius Peppers. 154.5 sacks (4th).
    Chris Doleman. 150.5 sacks (5th).
    Jason Taylor. 139.5 sacks (7th).
    John Randle. 137.5 sacks (9th) .
    Jared Allen. 136.0 sacks (11th).
    John Abraham. 133.5 sacks (12th).
    Leslie O'Neal. 132.5 sacks (13th).
    Derrick Thomas. 126.5 sacks (16th).

Not one of them was able to lead their respected teams to a Vince Lombardi trophy and all failed while attempting to do so.

So as you can see...

10 of the top 16 pass rushers of All-Time failed to win a Super Bowl.

So spare me all of these bullshit myth's of "great NFL RB's not being as important as great pass rushers" because (as you can see) it's a complete and utter farce.

And even an All-Time great (2nd overall in sacks) in as Reggie White (who was blessed with HOF QB's in Randall Cunningham and Brett Favre) could only manage to lead his team(s) to 1 whooping SB victory.

Michael Strahan is no different. Ranked 6th All-Time in sacks but yet could only lead his team to a SB victory one time (with the help of a great D-Line surrounding him) despite playing for 15 years.

Give me an NFL QB/RB duo of Sam Darnold and Le'Veon Bell as our 1-2 punch along with our 2019 1st Round pick for a (potential) Franchise LT over just Khalil Mack any day of the week and twice on SB Sunday's.

Will-I-Am-Not likes this.
  8. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Von Miller SB MVP beat the Pats and Panthers almost single handily. Argument makes 0 sense.

FJF likes this.
  9. DefenseWinsChampionships

The more I think about it, the more I say hell no to not only paying Khalil Mack a ton of money but also trading away multiple draft picks including our 2019 1st round pick for a soon to be 28 year old DE/OLB.

Why should we when the likes of...

All failed to win a SB while All-Time greats in Reggie White (2nd) and Michael Strahan could only win 1 SB a piece despite a combined 31 years of NFL play between the two.

We just drafted Sam Darnold 3rd overall and heaven't featured a Franchise QB dating back to Joe Namath.

Now is the time to protect Sam Darnold while building around our offense.

The NFL's #1 RB in Le'Veon Bell along with a 2019 1st round pick Franchise LT would be a great step into securing a championship caliber offensive attack.

A trio of Sam Darnold/Le'Veon Bell/Robby Anderson behind a Franchise LT (2019 1st) would be absolutely insane.

We'd be a true #1 WR on the outside away from becoming the NFL's next "greatest show on green grass".

Forget about "Khalil Mack". It's proven that All-Time great NFL Pass Rushers such as Bruce Smith and countless of others don't win you Super Bowl(s).

10. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

Please change your username since you just argued the opposite of what it says.

11. DefenseWinsChampionships

Wow. "Von Miller".

And what about the likes of...

Who didn't, couldn't and/or never did?

What, just going to erase and ignore proven NFL history?

My argument makes perfect sense.

And what about former SB MVP RB's such as...

Larry Csonka.
    Franco Harris.
    John Riggins.
    Marcus Allen.
    Ottis Anderson.
    Emmitt Smith.
    Terrell Davis.

Those guys literally CARRIED their teams to the SB. Litterally carried them.

There have been way more SB MVP RB's than there have been DE's and OLB's.

This game will ALWAYS have a place for All-Time great RB's.

12. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

that was a different era of football. now only Qbs carry their team to victory and even then it's rare. what RB has carried their team to a SB in the last 20 years? what did barry sanders win? peterson? zeke? etc. hell the eagles just won with a back-up QB and a 3rd string RB as their leading receiver in the game. You need a complete team to win. no 1 player wins a SB period not even a great QB but outside of QB no position is really that important to winning a SB

13. DefenseWinsChampionships

Times have changed. And such is life. The game is now driven by and won by high octane offenses and Franchise QB's.

We just drafted Sam Darnold. I rather surround him with an elite RB such as Le'Veon Bell while drafting a Franchise LT with our 2019's 1st round draft pick (in order to give Sam Darnold a real chance of reaching greatness and Franchise level QB status) over an addition of a Khalil Mack.

I'll always love defense. It's apart of who I am as a football fan. But I'm not naive enough to not realize that this game is now driven by explosive offenses behind Franchise caliber QB's.

14. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

your missing the point that an elite pass rusher can make an elite QB look very average.

15. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I think he needs to copy and paste some more lists... you obviously didnt see them the first time!

FJF likes this.
  16. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

If Oakland is willing, go get him! 1st rounder, I do it in a heartbeat. 1st + a player other than Teddy, no thanks.

17. DefenseWinsChampionships

And an elite QB/RB duo/tandem can make an entire offensive attack look great.

Joe Montana & Roger Craig.
    Troy Aikman & Emmitt Smith.
    Jim Kelly & Thurman Thomas.
    Steve Young & Ricky Watters.
    John Elway & Terrell Davis.
    Steve McNair & Eddie George.
    Peyton Manning & Edgerrin James.
    Kurt Warner & Marshall Faulk.
    Philip Rivers & LaDainian Tomlinson.

Etc etc were some of the QB/RB duo's I grew up idolizing.

Russell Wilson & Marshawn Lynch.
    Matt Ryan & Devonta Freeman.
    Drew Brees & Alvin Kamara.
    Ben Roethlisberger & Le'Veon Bell.
    Dak Prescott & Ezekiel Elliott.
    Jared Goff & Todd Gurley.

Are some of the recent one's i (as a Jets fan) have been envious of as of late.

I couldn't care less if Le'Veon Bell were drafted or not he's the greatest RB within the game today and a duo of Sam Darnold & Le'Veon Bell could become something magical for NY.

18. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

Good gawd. I hate this thread and everyone in it.

19. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Always laugh when a guy gets what has been described as the most painful injury you can get on the football field and trashes someone for turning the ball over. As if you would have held onto the ball or that it wasnt something that could be understood. What any of that has to do with celebrating his new big dollar contract is beyond me

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  20. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

This is my go to stock answer when some clueless fool tells me hes nothing more than a compiler and 4.0 is nothing, anyone can do it.

Why didn't anyone else do what Martin accomplished if it was nothing?

Why is he 3 all time in yardage? Ooops, thats two things I respond with.