It Finally Feels Like We're Getting it Right

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by TurkJetFan, Aug 15, 2018.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree. I think you're being unnecessarily harsh in your assessment and not giving credit where credit is due. Other GMs passed on those players. Mac could have traded up to make sure he got those players, he could have taken other players at positions of need, or he could have opted to trade down to get more picks/players. He didn't, however. He stayed put and let the draft come to him.

2. NCJetsfan

I'm sorry to disagree with you twice in one evening, especially since I haven't seen you post in a while (welcome back), but I don't think CB is even in the top 5 most important positions on the team. I would rank the top 5 positions like this:

QB
    LT
    Edge rusher (OLB in a 3-4 D alignment, DE in a 4-3 D alignment)
    NT (in a 3-4 D alignment)
    #1 WR

I think the #1 CB falls somewhere in the second 5 most important positions, probably around #6 or #7

3. Jetsruby

Jetsruby Well-Known Member

LT? Why left tackle? Why not right tackle. It would seem that there's a symmetry to the OL. Is it because of a shortage in good LTs? Is it because the current REs in the NFL are better than the LEs?

4. DefenseWinsChampionships

Well for one a Franchise LT is the one who protects your Quarterbacks blind side.

I can't even name you 5 left handed QB's within the NFL today (starter or backups).

A Franchise LT in order to protect our potential Franchise QB's blindsided in Sam Darnold, imo, is way more important than an RT.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  5. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

6. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

The Jets won't be the worst or the best. Let's hope for a competitive year and growth for our young players so the team will be attractive for FAs come 2019.

7. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

New York Giants are #23
    Buffalo Bills are #31
    New York Jets are #32

The Jets are the worst "New York" team? I don't even think the Giants are better than us let alone the Bills. Fuck espn.

8. NCJetsfan

The LT because most QBs are right handed and thus the LT protects the QB's blind side. RTs are important. They may belong in the top 5, but if not, probably deserve around #6 or #7, and definitely ahead of CBs.

9. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Wrote a lot more, but this kinda sums it up:

Next year with a high draft pick, a potential FQB, and a massive war chest, the Jets will be a very attractive landing spot for a higher caliber coach (not sure who, to be honest, though). That’s when I believe the team will start to make real progress.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  10. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

The problem here is 1. We will not likely be in the market for a coach and 2. The “higher caliber”coaches available will be the same hot coordinators that Bowles was when he was hired.

11. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

thoughts like this should be kept to yourself when you don't have an adequate replacement, just sayin ... probably just another fan that wanted Gruden or something.

FJF likes this.
  12. DefenseWinsChampionships

Or a Bill Cowher who hasn't coached a game in over a decade (going on 12 years now) and currently 61 years of age.

Might as well bring back the Big Tuna out of retirement while we're at it.

13. Aero

Aero Well-Known Member

I think the Jets will be “better” than the 32nd ranked team, but the position is fair.

Realistically, the only teams that would contend for #32 are probably us, the Browns, Bills, Dolphins, Colts, and Giants. I get the feeling that most think the Giants’ bad season was an anomaly more than anything. Luck’s return will keep the Colts off of the bottom spot in most people’s list. The Bills are coming off of a playoff appearance. The Browns had a bunch of sexy acquisitions this offseason.

That leaves the Jets and Dolphins. I think both will be better than the worst team in the league, but Dolphins get the benefit of the doubt over the Jets based on more recent success. Jets are #32.

In the end, power rankings don’t matter, especially preseason, but I get why the Jets are last here. Just like last year where everyone in the media picked them to win 1 game, all of us knew they’d win just enough to miss out on a top draft spot.

14. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

The bears have first pick overall written all over them. Tampa could be right there too. Both could go 0 for the division. Browns made splashy moves but even if they improved by 4 wins from last year that’s a 4-12 season this year and too 5 pick.
    I would rank the jets right now around 28

15. 101GangGreen101

Took Cowher a long time to actually win as well, the Jets fanbase would've wanted him gone at least 3 times over.

16. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Your the guy who’s scared for Darnold, right? You’re so afraid of risk that you’d rather sit tight and just hope what you have works out.

17. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I agree. It would be ridiculous for ESPN to assume anything about the rookie QBs, which is why the Cardinals, Browns, Bills, and Jets are the bottom four teams. If Rosen, Mayfield, Allen, or Darnold steps up and becomes an effective NFL starter his team will shoot up the ratings, but until that happens it can't be assumed that it will (the same applies to Bridgewater coming back from a devastating injury). Indeed, they explicitly say that McCarron getting hurt will affect the Bills' rating, which shows that they (in my view quite reasonably) give little weight to the assumption of a rookie stepping in and being a successful starter. Further, if Darnold has as good a season as McCown did last year he'd have a good shot at ROY, so the assumption that the Jets have upgraded their QB play from last year is in my opinion dubious at best.

Some people focus a lot on the Jets supposedly overachieving last year, which means they will this year too. I disagree completely on the first point. Yes, a few talking heads claimed they would win 0 or 1 games, but that was obviously hyperbolic click bait. The Vegas over/under for the Jets was 4 1/2 wins, so the 5-11 record was exactly what the gamblers predicted, and that's a lot more valid than some bozo on ESPN. The Jets didn't particularly overachieve last year, and I see no reason for them to do so this year. I still see this as a 5-to-7 win team (because I do think Darnold is good), with the real possibility of a worse record if Darnold has serious rookie issues.

18. 101GangGreen101

Scared? You mean cautious. Did you not see Qvale and Jonotthan Harrison block like bitches?

19. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I'm still not sold on Maccagnan. We all have our ideas of how he should run the team. If I agree with his choices, then he's doing a good job, but if I don't, then the proof in the pudding is: has his choices worked to improve the team? Yes, the Williams pick seems to have been a slam dunk but Mac inherited a team with severe QB issues. Yet, he chose not to draft a top rated QB and go with Geno and Fitz. He lucked into Fitz at QB after Geno got punched. The following year, he again ignored a top QB and chose to go with Lee and completely misfired with Hackenberg. The next year, he again ignored QB in favor of not one, but two safeties as top picks. So let's review these picks. Williams is good, but is he, after three seasons, as good as Watt, who he said he patterns his game on? Answer: No. Has Darren Lee performed anywhere close to a 1st round pick? Answer (easy one): No. While the jury is still out on Adams and Maye, we have to remember that he used a 6 overall pick to draft a safety and he passed up two potential franchise QB's. And no matter how good they are, the play of 2 safeties is not going to be decisive in turning this franchise around. And let's not even discuss his other draft picks. Have any of them impressed? Answer: No. This year, it was clear with his move in the draft that he was finally going to draft a QB and he got lucky that Darnold fell to him. My verdict so far on Maccagnan: Not impressed. However, as the title of this thread suggests, maybe this is the year he gets it right.

legler82, CBG, tomdeb and 1 other person like this.
  20. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I'm no homer, but ranking the Jets #32 is stupid. I could have seen that last year, but THIS year? It's just the media looking for ratings like they do every year during this time. The Jets were competitive against playoff teams last year and even beat a team that made the AFC championship and were one bad call away from upsetting a team that made the superbowl. That's with the Jets #1 WR injured for the year, with the worst starting center in the league, a 38 year old journeyman QB, a glaring hole in the secondary, and a brutal schedule.

Since then they drafted the agreed upon highest ranked QB in the draft, brought in the best FA corner, and upgraded the center position. They have a significantly easier schedule this year to boot, and I am to believe they will get WORSE? What bizarro world do these people live in?

Don't get me wrong, I still think this rebuild needs another year or so to complete, but barring some devastating series of injuries I just can't see the team being worse, let alone THE worst. They beat 3 playoff teams last year.

#80 Sam Hammer, Aug 20, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2018