Teddy must be week 1 sttarter

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, Aug 16, 2018.

1. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Go C Tyler Badass from Wisconsin with the 2nd round pick they get for Bridgewater after taking OT Greg Little if he lasts to the Jets pick in the first, if they are picking later in the round could go Jonah Williams.

Badass may not even come out and if he does, may not go near as high as 2nd round but he's got a good football name for a C

#121 The Waterboy, Aug 18, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
    CotcheryFan likes this.
  2. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

Don't pinch me. :D

CotcheryFan likes this.
  3. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I like Teddy, and I can see the argument for him starting the first few games, but I feel you have to get Sam out there eventually. My guess is that Teddy goes 1st half of giants game and Darnold goes 2nd half. They keep the 1s in until the late third. I wonder who will play the 4th PS game.

I'm more nervous about the oline than QB at this point, and that's a weird feeling. Qvale has a ways to go, I just hope Beachum and Winters can get back for week one or it's going to be ugly.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  4. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Currently $23.189 million. That will go up next year based on any new QB deals, Rodgers yet to be determined and this year's yea paid QBs.

5. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Darnold missed most of his junior year of HS due to injury, but Teddy's knee is Definitely more likely to be reinjured than Darnold's foot. Ironically, Teddy's knee injury dates back to HS. Had he had surgery then, he doesn't suffer the catastrophic injury 2 years ago.

6. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

True, I wasn't looking back to H.S.

7. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

The better Teddy plays the less likely he is traded. When was the last time a team traded their STARTING quarterback in the middle of the season? Let alone a season in which he is playing well. Absence is what makes the heart grow fonder. You let him ball out in the preseason then sit him and allow his value to steady increase on the bench like a high return savings account. You keep the sample size small and don’t allow him to hurt his value in any way. Remember Garroppolo and Brissett were not starters when New England flipped them for picks.

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  8. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Had not heard that. Can you expand upon that because I am still mystified how he had such a devastating injury from a non-contact drill. I get popping an ACL or Achilles or the like but it sound like his leg was almost severed.

How did that happen? TBH, watched him all through Louisville and never knew he had a bad kneee although it always looked like he had chicken legs.

Btw, his arm looks stronger than I’ve ever seen it.

9. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

I know you swore me out of your life but surely you realize its far far far more likely that Teddy gets hurt before Darnold right? Now, obviously Darnold is far more vaulable but do you tihnk our Oline is going ot be better in week 4? Is that when we can start Sam?

GQMartin likes this.
  10. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Fearless Leader Todd Bowles will put all speculation to rest...

2000 Internets says It's gonna be one of the two Vets McGown or Bridgewater kicking off 2018 in Detroit...don't we know our customer (the HC) by now???!?

11. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Well two things can happen: the line gets better via new editions or depth or it doesn't..

Ideally it's a little better and they can get Sam into some garbage games when the season is tanked and we are going no where

The other scenario...and could very well develop considering how bad the Team is run..that the OL is shaky as ever

In that case ..just SIT SAM and let McGown have fun

12. DefenseWinsChampionships

Today reporters kept trying to ask Bridgewater how he feels about a trade. He continued to blow off the questions and only focused on the present.

Also stated that he intentionally took hits against Washington and tried to make contact on purpose; as the last barrier to knock down in order to prove and tell himself "that I'm back".

Towards the end he finally admitted. That yes, he still sees himself as an NFL starting QB (and rightfully so).

There is no question about it. He's not here to be Sam Darnold or any other starting NFL QB's career backup and come the offseason he will have plenty of opportunities to start for a handful of teams.

Unfortunately for the Jets. Teddy Bridgewater gambled on himself during the offseason. He only agreed to sign a 1 year deal for a reason and unfortunately for our Jets; you can not Franchise Tag a player who only agreed to sign on a 1 year contract to begin with.

There are only 2 scenarios for Teddy & our Jets (and nothing in between).

1.) Trade him for future assets.
    2.) Lose him in FA for nothing.

13. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

14. mute

mute Well-Known Member

Start Teddy.

I know Sam is the future but I want to see the JETS win and right now Teddy gives us a better chance.

My opinion might change after preseason game 3.

15. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

If Bortles keeps shitting the bed, I can see Teddy being in Jax before pre-season is over. I don’t see us getting much trade capital though - a 4th, maybe.

16. DefenseWinsChampionships

I don't see how you only get a 4th, maybe for a former pro-bowl QB who's yet to hit his prime and currently HEALTHY.

Teddy Bridgewater. During a sign and trade... Goes for a lot more than just a 4th or even 3rd.

Let's face it. A Sam Bradford went for a 1st + a 4th after not one but two season ending ACL injuries; but yet still goes for a 1st & a 4th at the age of 28 (2016).

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  17. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

for everyone that slobbered over the jets GM trade up to 3 to "land" darnold you have to instead give him a little spanking for signing teddy to only a 1 year deal.
    of course not sure if that was offered to teddy and he refused but it would've have made much more sense for the jets. unless a star QB goes down this coming week, teams are not going to offer a substantial pick for him. they'll just wait for next offseason. i think he is on the roster opening day and likely starting.

18. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

jets currently have minimal leverage cause of the 1 year deal. their leverage only gets better if a playoff caliber team loses its QB for the season.

19. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Do you have a source for the statement that you can't franchise tag a player on a one-year contract? I've never heard that, and it wasn't true for the 2018 season. For example, Case Keenum signed with Minnesota before 2017 on a one-year contract, and was eligible for the franchise tag in 2018; indeed, there was conversation about whether he would be tagged for 2018 before the Vikings ultimately decided not to do it and go for Cousins. See, for example,

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-...enum-as-franchise-tag-window-opens/474566443/

and

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/vikings-case-keenum-not-in-line-for-franchise-tag/.

HomeoftheJets and FJF like this.
  20. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Absolutely, and I know I said that at the time. If Macc didn't offer Bridgewater an extra million or two for a team option for a second year it was a major blunder (given all of the salary cap room the Jets had). If he did and Bridgewater turned it down then Teddy deserves credit for apparently successfully betting on himself, but there has never been a hint that anything other than a one-year contract was ever considered.