Time for Bates to open up the playbook

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Aug 18, 2018.

1. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Fortunately you can have more than one talented young QB playing...Sam will do his own thing that's special

OTOH I haven't seen someone hurl the rock that far ...maybe ever?!?

legler82 likes this.
  2. DefenseWinsChampionships

He's without question got a cannon for an arm. But he's still got a very long ways to go before I crown him or even regret passing on him during a pretty weak QB class.

His overall awareness, decision making, thought process and ability to read an NFL defense both pre-snap and mid-play still leaves a lot to be desired for.

The deep bomb was a thing of beauty but he also made a really bad decision down in the red zone and nearly got picked off and super lucky he wasn't because he threw the ball right to the defended and didn't even see it coming followed by a very bad INT on 1st down, tossed up a floater and had no idea the Safety was playing over the top for an easy interception.

Overall he's look good thus far kind of looks like and reminds me of a Dak Prescott out there but at the end of the day I really couldn't care less about the likes of Patrick Mahomes, Deshaun Watson, DeShone Kizer, Josh Allen, Josh Rosen, Lamar Jackson or any other QB in which we've passed on over the past two drafts.

We landed Sam Darnold and imo is the #1 rated QB prospect that's came out dating back to Andrew Luck and dating back to 2016's college season it's been Sam Darnold as the only QB I've truly wanted a shot at drafting.

I don't even think Kansas City had a 1st round pick this year so with that said the Chiefs can have Patrick Mahomes and as a Jets fan I'll thankfully enjoy Sam Darnold + Jamal Adams moving forward .

#22 DefenseWinsChampionships, Aug 18, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
  3. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

ummmmm ,,,,,,,It was a joke I was being sarcastic,,,carry on

FJF and NYJFOREVER like this.
  4. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

He's trash.

5. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Never saw Napoleon Dynamite, did you.

All Gas No Shake and NYJetsO12 like this.
  6. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Anddddd that went over my head. With all these clowns posting right now I've lost my sense of humor.

CBG likes this.
  7. DefenseWinsChampionships

8. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

With that awful offensive line that is the best, you can expect. Its gonna be a long season. That is all on Macc he doesn't see the big picture. By the time he get's a clue he'll be on the street. He pieces the Jets together 1 year at a time. But with free agency and injuries, age and salary cap, you have to try and go for it every year.

9. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

That was a ridiculous throw.

10. DefenseWinsChampionships

I know everyone wants to see that Aaron Rodgers, Josh Allen, Matthew Stafford, Ben Roethlisberger, Cam Newton, Joe Flacco etc type of cannon arm.

But I don't think that Sam Darnold may ever be that type of QB.

Just take a look at this 10 minute video below. It's of every Sam Darnold career TD both running and passing (2016 & 2017) combined.

You all can keep the gun slinger. I'll take that right there.

The dude was an absolute machine once in scoring range. And if he's able to translate his style of game to the Pro's? Watch out. He's going to pick you apart while matriculating the football down the field. Reminded you of a Tom Brady by the ways he's able to dissect a defense within the Red Zone while keeping the chains moving on 3rd downs. Like a damn robot or something.

As you can see Darnold did mostly all of his NCAA damage from inside the Red Zone, or a little further out (25-30's). And he was a machine while doing so.

That truly looked like a classic example, more like an identical definition of a west coast attack. Featuring quick passes. Getting the ball out and into the hands of his playmakers. Play action roll outs setting up quick strikes down the middle of the field etc and almost impossible to get off the field on 3rd and short situations.

We all know that Darnold had turnover issues @ USC. But not within the red zone he didn't. He was literally Tom Brady esque down there and absolutely flawless once inside the 20. Which shows me extremely high I.Q and off the chart thought process/decision making (it's not easy to look good or excel once the field shrinks down inside the red zone).

The rocket arm is sexy and all but Sam Darnold has the potential and I.Q to one day frustrate defenses into submission while methodically keeping the chains moving as he matriculates and drives the football down field.

This kid could literally be a master mind of a quarterback rather than a gun slinger.

#30 DefenseWinsChampionships, Aug 19, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
  11. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Good Post but historically the Gunslinger s have had a lot of success: Dan Fouts Sonny Jurgenson Sammy Baugh Dan Marino ...and of course Brett Favre

Currently: Bortles Capt Kirk C A Luck (disagree with you that he isn't one) Cutler M Stanford...And after this prove it Season Mahomes

Personally I really like what we have in Sam D and prefer him to the above list..but to say they all are really not good or what legler said (trash) ..I have to disagree

12. red75bronco

red75bronco Well-Known Member

How many Super Bowl wins in that list?

How many for Montana and Brady?