The Future at QB

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Aug 17, 2018.

?

[Read the OP for question]

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I am, and have been a "hope Teddy stays" guy from the beginning. Hope may not be a plan but I'm just a fan and don't need a plan :) I hope Teddy stays here.

But the more I think about this situation the more I wonder why some of these other teams didn't make more of an effort to sign him. I just simply don't get that.

Lets just focus on the Denver Broncos as an example. Case Keenum was never any good anyway till last year, and even if he was totally legit (which I guess that's on shaky ground right now) he's got absolutely nothing backing him up and the Bronco's are apparently fairly panicked about it. OK fine.... where the hell were they with the checkbook when Teddy was signing elsewhere for an extremely modest amount? Considering Teddy's age and track record what better guy has there ever been out to there to take a flyer on?

The Dark Knight likes this.
  2. DefenseWinsChampionships

You can not Franchise Tag a player who only agreed to sign a 1 year contract...

CBG likes this.
  3. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

Very easy to answer....Jets were desperate.

Teddy Bridgewater was a free agent that was looking for the best deal. Maybe the Broncos were interested but the one year 15M (incentive loaded) was the one that obviously Teddy liked the most. And besides, what chances are there that Teddy starts with the Broncos vs the Jets? He wanted to to a team that gave him the best chance to start. The Broncos with Keenum was just not the right team.

Besides who really cares about why Teddy was not grabbed by some other team? He's with the Jets...don't worry be happy.

4. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

I was not aware of that,,,,,hmmmmmmmmm,,,,I still would like tonights lotto # 's

5. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

TDK ,,,but now they do have Teddy who appears healthy and who is playing well behind this horrific O line that is even worse due to injuries. I will say it again start Teddy until the kid is ready and hopefully the line has healthy bodies that are playing well.If Teddy starts playing poorly you put in Macon unless the kid is deemed ready. On a side note-2 names that come to mind are Rodgers and Mahommes,,,,,,Im not saying that either team gave up a lot or anything to get them but THEY SAT on the bench and waited and both of their COACHES forgot more than our Todd Bowels currently knows.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  6. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

[QUOTE="CBG, post: 3715295, member: 9975" I will say it again start Teddy until the kid is ready ......... On a side note-2 names that come to mind are Rodgers and Mahommes,,,,,,I.[/QUOTE]

Well many believe he is ready now and I am not talking about fans but people around the and associated with the NFL. If Bowles starts him week 1 — He and Bates deemed him ready.

2 names that come to mind — Russell Wilson, Dak Prescott

CBG and The Dark Knight like this.
  7. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah, Carson Wentz, Andrew Luck, Peyton Manning, etc. Many examples of each.
    Rodgers was behind Favre and Mahomes was behind Alex Smith. Both better than anything the Jets currently have, and both QB's drafted further down in the 1st Round than Darnold. Bridgewater is definitely capable of starting while Sam learns though. I don't disagree with that. I just feel if Sam is ready, he should start. No need to hold him back. Every QB and situation is different though. Just hope the Jets handle it correctly.

Side note: The Quotes kept glitching. So I just removed them. Not sure what the problem is.

legler82, CBG and CotcheryFan like this.
  8. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

No no.. I'm happy :)

The "point" to my question was though in the last week+ I've read all these posts about well! Teddy has played great so he's obviously got to GO GO GO NOW NOW NOW. All these teams are going to want him to be their starter because you know... he's a former pro bowl starting caliber player in this league.

My simple question to that is where the hell were all these teams a few weeks back when he could have been signed to whatever contract they wanted to hammer out and not have to trade a damn thing for him?

I guess we'll see how it all turns out but just thinking about it all from a human perspective I'm not so sure TB might not be around here for awhile. And I'm not so sure that wouldn't be a good move both for Teddy and for the Jets both.

DarrelleRevis.Human? likes this.
  9. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

Based on that logic wouldn't you be in favor of maximizing your success rate at the hardest position to fill by trying to retain an additional QB? When the current depth is two guys on one year deals ( a 39yo journeyman and a guy that won't play backup), and a rookie.

So why be so eager to trade away a known commodity at the hardest position to fill, for one more chance on an unknown commodity in the draft?

10. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Well many believe he is ready now and I am not talking about fans but people around the and associated with the NFL. If Bowles starts him week 1 — He and Bates deemed him ready.

2 names that come to mind — Russell Wilson, Dak Prescott[/QUOTE]
    336 I think the jury is still out on if he is ready or not but I will say this ----> I hate the idea of him starting in front of our bogus line when they are healthy and now they have injuries on the line and are even worse,,,,,I want to see the kid play for the next decade , I don't want to see him hurt,,,,time will tell but IMO Bowels WILL NOT start the kid unless the owner tells him to as Bowels will say best chance to win blah blah blah play the vets its what he does,,,IMO

11. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

Teddys Pro bowl year ranked 26th in yardage in the league and he had 14TDs and 9 INTs. Thats his best year in the league so far. He also as we know almost lost his leg. Why would there have been teams lining up to sign him?

12. DarrelleRevis.Human?

Prescott and Wilson had a few things in their favor too, like 2 of the best o-lines in football, Beast Mode and Zeke. Those help. And Dak looked like butt last year once he didn't have that full compliment.

CBG likes this.
  13. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

If we could get a pick from Teddy then I'm all aboard. Mac and Co. just traded 3 second round picks for Darnold, he's our guy at some point sooner or later.

14. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Because the chance of retaining him is very low. We are not going to be a playoff team this year let alone a super bowl contender. So do we keep him this year and lose him next because he knows he is not our future, or try to maximize the potential of our future for short term loss?

Teddy, if healthy, knows he is not our long term plan and will leave for a chance to start elsewhere next off season.

15. BomberJet

I thought I answered your question.....don't understand your point....you mean there's something more to Ted's injury than we are led to believe that is why the teams shied away from him?

IMO,, he's not GO GO GOing anywhere soon. Not with the OL doing a lousy job of protection.

16. BomberJet

You need to think like a GM - display the product to make it marketable and make the most profit from it showcased to prospective buyers. . TB is not at that stage yet....be patient because TB will be with the team for a while THIS season.

17. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Fundamental lack of understanding of timing and opportunity.

Nearly every team had an established starting QB or an up and comer and no one needed a surgically repaired chicken legged, but talented QB back in March.

Our QB room was basically bare so it was an easy decision.

Again, no one needed a guy who possibly couldn’t play.

Fast forward 5 months, it’s clear that now Teddy can play. At a high level.

Fast forward just one more month from now and a team, because of injury or poor play, may actually NEED Teddy in order to compete.

No one is suggesting teams with established starters or teams with projected FQBs on their roster had any need for Teddy.

But they might soon if circumstances change.

If Carr or Rogers or Dak or Marcus or Smith or Wilson etc is healthy heading into the season, none of those teams are giving us a 2nd rounder for him now. Didn’t need him in March and don’t need him now.

But if one of them breaks a leg?

MoWilkBeast likes this.
  18. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Can the Jets hold on to Teddy now if they wanted to? Isn't that where your question should start? How will you make that happen at this particular point?

As such - I don't see how the Jets can hold on to the kid beyond this year - I just don't see any fucking reason in this line of questioning.

19. DarrelleRevis.Human?

That has been clearly outlined throughout this thread. Try taking the time to read through it instead of rushing to post.

I think this thread has gotten off-topic. Let's try to get back on course.
    The more important question to be answering is why you answered YES or NO.

20. DarrelleRevis.Human?