Teddy must be week 1 sttarter

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, Aug 16, 2018.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You didn't speak to the issue at hand...that you said nothing was to be gained by keeping Teddy, and sorry, but that simply isn't true.

That said, I agree with the bolded phrase. While I think it would be exciting to keep Teddy and have him start this year or at least be insurance in case Darnold struggles or gets injured, the bottom line is that we do need to move him for draft capital. Still, unless some team blows the Jets away with the offer of their high #2 or #1 pick in the 2019 draft right now, I think it's best to wait until a few games into the regular season before trading Teddy. Give him time to maximize his value and let Darnold learn from him as long as he can.

I just hope two things for all of our sake. One, if and when we do trade Teddy that Darnold will develop into the QB we think he can. If he doesn't and we trade away Teddy, we're screwed, and we'll probably be starting from ground zero again with a new GM and HC. Two, that Mac has his eye on a good 3rd QB to bring in once Teddy is traded, because more than likely, we're gonna wind up needing 3 QBs this season.

2. NCJetsfan

As Bugs Bunny used to say, "What a maroon!"

Acad23 and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  3. NCJetsfan

I'm done with you. You claimed last week that you weren't trying to be a jerk, but you are. You think you know it all and you aren't even close. I'm not gonna waste any more of my time or energy trying to help you see an opposing view, because your mind is slammed shut. You think you know it all, have all the answers, and aren't even able or willing to see anything else. Have a nice life.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  4. I mean from a short term perspective theoretically yes we’d gain some positives from Teddy staying.But i question very strongly how this helps us long term.

For one,we already have Josh Mccown who was the QB last season & has already pledged himself to do everything in his power to help mold Darnold.Thats pretty rare in this business.While i dont think Teddy would be a negative influence or anything this is a 25 year old that wants to make a team his own for the long haul. No doubt thered be media dialogue of this sort the whole season through.

Also,the more i read & see of Darnold the less i want him to sit & develop.while im open to that approach & quite often favor it, i think this is a unique case esp given his age. Hes already extremely poised,cerebral & focused.Beyond that he seems to learn by doing & doesnt make the same mistake twice. As strange as it sounds i think the best thing for his development is to play.

5. NCJetsfan

Even playing 3 games in 10 days to start the season behind a very shaky OL? You realize that by doing that we would risk losing him for the entire season.

While McCown has pledged to help Darnold, I really don't think there's that much that McCown could teach Darnold. Teddy on the other hand could and would teach him a lot. Even though Teddy wants to start, he is a leader, is unselfish, humble and has great character. There would be no QB controversy or hard feelings.

6. Yeah ive considered the first 3 games & i go back & fourth.But im leaning towards it being a positive for Darnold.For one its a unique experience he can learn from.Also,he’ll get a chance to get on his feet w very little time for opposing DCs to gameplan against him. The shaky OL is a concern not to be taken lightly but remove that from the equation win or lose i think itd be great for his progression.It all just comes down to if we can keep him upright

7. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Darnold’s not the one that is playing with a leg that was hanging by a string just 2 years ago. Call me crazy but I would be willing to take my chances on the 230 lbs former LB holding up behind a shaky line than a the skinny guy with the gimpy knee.

johnnysd and themorey like this.
  8. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

That’s what McCown is for. 10 million dollar man. Let him take the beating while we recoup draft picks.

9. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Also of note is the fact that those first 3 games are very winnable. The schedule get tougher for the next stretch of games after that. It would hard to put Darnold in then.

10. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

I seriously think you have lost it if you think Darnold could learn more from 1 year starter Teddy over McCown.
    Don’t try to sell this as Teddy is better because we all know the best/better players usually do not make the best coaches.

Secondly, you cannot plan or worry about injuries - you need to play the schedule you are given, There is nothing in Sam’s history, body makeup or playing style that would make me think he has any more chance of getting injured in those 3 games or if they were 14 days. And it is not like we are playing the 85 bears, Steel Curtain, Purple People eaters etc. in those 3.

11. NCJetsfan

True, but Teddy isn't the future of the franchise. Darnold is.

12. NCJetsfan

You're not the first one to think that and probably won't be the last.

McCown has never been a very good QB. I stand by what I said. While I'm sure there are things I think he can teach from all his years of experience, I don't think there's that much he can teach Darnold about the finer points of playing QB. If he knew those things, he would have been a better/more successful QB. Teddy was not just a starter for one year, it was two. I guarantee you that McCown wouldn't have moved our backups the way Teddy has the last two weeks.

13. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

I dont think I have all the answers. Bu this one is pretty fucking obvious

The Waterboy likes this.
  14. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

What ever happens the FO better not screw us on this one And I don't trust Bowles to do the right thing. We have the QB chips in our hand let's slow down and see what develops after the first 3 games.

Longsuffering88 likes this.
  15. DefenseWinsChampionships

NCJetsfan...

You keep on emphasizing and stressing the fact that the Jets play 3 games in 10 days.

It's really not that big of a deal.

Just look at the schedule and you'll see. It's really not.

Only the Cleveland Browns (the 3rd game) will be played on short rest.

Just thought I'd point that out.

The first two games will not create for a good argument when in regards to playing or not playing a rookie. The first two games are a moot point and nothing out of the ordinary.

People are making a big deal about "3 games in 10 days" when only the CLE game is off of actual short rest.

Ralebird and jonnyd like this.
  16. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

The Jets haven't given me much to look forward to lately. My expectations for the upcoming season aren't high.

This is a team devoid of superstars, big names.

Sam Darnold could change that.

I want to see Sam Darnold start from week 1. Bridgewater should make the team no doubt about it but he is and should be a insurance policy.

17. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

There is a strong chance Teddy is the Jets Bridge QB in 2018 if another team doesn't come knocking with at the very least a 2nd rd pick or an elite edge rusher. The better Teddy plays, the higher his stock rises. Yes Sam Darnold still could become the starter at some point in 2018, but I see the Jets letting Teddy start the season on Monday Night Football. National television boys and girls. If Teddy lights it up and another team lost it's quarterback between now and week 1, then the Jets will have the leverage they need to pry a 2nd rd pick or more from another desperate team....Mac would look like a genius. Sam takes over and lights the Dolphins up at MetLife in week 2. The Gang Green Forum begins to ooze slimy green positive energy, which suffocates the negative Nancy's. How's that for positive thinking?! :D

NYJetsO12 and CotcheryFan like this.
  18. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Macc proceeds to use the 2nd round pick to select Elgton Jenkins, who in addition to our first round pick, Greg Little, will anchor our OL for the next 10 years. :D

#118 CotcheryFan, Aug 18, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
  19. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

1st game is just like every other team in the league, played after the preseason, actually an extra day to prepare
    2nd game is 6 games after the first, not a big difference at all from teams that had 7 days
    3rd game is after 4 days against Cleveland

So in reality there is only one game that comes on a much shorter week since I don't look at there being a huge difference between 6 and 7 days for week 2. And the game week 2 is against Miami and week 3 against Cleveland

This whole, 3 games in 10 days crying, has no real basis in somehow losing Darnold for the season. Why a player who has had no major injuries, ever, would be more apt to be injured, over a player who is coming back from a massive knee injury that almost ended his career, is beyond my comprehension.

johnnysd likes this.
  20. NCJetsfan

I don't know anything about either prospect or where they're likely to be drafted, but I like the sound of Mac using his top two draft picks on OL and their anchoring our OL for the next 10 years. Add in a FA signing of Clowney and/or Fowler, and I'll be ecstatic!

CotcheryFan likes this.