To Which Team & When Teddy Is Traded?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Aug 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Guy, you are embarrassing yourself, and should just stop. Darnold could get every snap and still not be ready. Teddy has been playing great. Darnold could learn a lot from watching Teddy and talking with him.

LF911SC likes this.
  2. NCJetsfan

Two firsts and maybe a third for Mack? Are you insane? As great as Mack is , he's 27 years old. By the time the Jets are really ready to challenge he could be 29 or 30. If Darnold gets hurt behind our crappy OL the Jets aren't going anywhere anyway unless they keep Teddy. The Jets' #1 priority has to be drafting the Jets future LT. With two firsts and a 3rd next year, the Jets could draft their future LT AND add a stud edge rushing prospect and have them both for 7-10 years.

LF911SC and HomeoftheJets like this.
  3. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

Trade him to Oakland for Mack straight up.

4. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

For now no trade. Give Darnold one more chance to start Week 3 and if this happens again Bridgewater should start Week 1 of the regular season. We can always trade Bridgewater a couple weeks into the season, and if he lights it up all year we have the franchise tag.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Read it again. He clearly said 2 first OR a first and third. If the Raiders were to trade Mack ,(I don't think that's their plan), he would bring 2 first, a first third and player, or first third and likely a 4th.
    Don't think it's in the Jets best interest.
    I get he would transform the D, but there will be some very good FAs, Lawrence (cowboys won't franchise him again) Fowler,Ray, Ziggy Ansah. Can sign one, maybe even 2. Use the first and third on O Line.
    The $22 million per year plus he is seeking is a lot of money for a non QB. We have seen too often when a FA gets the mega deal and preretires. Like Mo. Counting his Mony mid game.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

i am happy that your surgery went well

#106 Charlie Kelly, Aug 17, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  7. MeanGreenMachine88

MeanGreenMachine88 Well-Known Member

Bridgewater isn’t Favre or Montana. You draft a dude in the top 5 he’s gonna be playing right away if for no other reason than putting asses in the seats. No one wants to sit in traffic to get to that giant tuna can to see deadinthewater or mcdrown

Footballgod214 likes this.
  8. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

9. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

There's on,y so man snaps a QB can get, the idea that 35 snaps a practice with the 1s aren't enough, that another handful taken from another QB will change him isn't part of the equation. If Sams development was being held back you'd have apoint but a handful of extra throws isn't going to change things. Look around 4 QBs in Cleveland. 3 or more in AZ. 3 in Buffalo. Everywhere it's the same. Making him throw until his arm falls off won't speed up his development.

10. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

With this kind of draft, all the available cap space and a year under Darnolds belt we can sit back and watch a pretty strong and balanced squad heading into next season.

I'd love a force like Mack but the choice between him and the scenario above, it's not really a choice. Long term and short I go with the OL and FA route.

11. NCJetsfan

I can understand not wanting to see McCown play, but not Teddy. Anyone who thinks that way about Teddy is clueless or simply too impatient for their own good. Darnold will be playing sooner rather than later, but he isn't ready for 3 games in 10 days to start the season, especially with Beachum and Winters missing most/all of preseason. It will take the OL at least 2-3 games to get in sync once the season starts. Anyone who wants to throw Darnold to the wolves in that situation is nuts.

12. NCJetsfan

Surgery? LOL

13. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I would start Teddy then half way into the season hand the reins over to Darnold.

It’s what the Rams did with Goff, got him ready in the film room during regular season because defenses were actually using more elaborate schemes, none of the vanilla schemes that are used in preseason.

Once Darnold gets used to seeing the more complicated schemes then let him play.

stinkyB and NCJetsfan like this.
  14. JETS1116

JETS1116 Well-Known Member

I didn't say 3 picks. I said a 1st, and a 1st OR 3rd. I don't think the Raiders will part with a top 3 defensive player for just a 1st round pick. At minimum, a 1st and a 3rd.

I believe this team with McCown and Darnold can go 7-9 to 9-7 this year, and the Eagles have a shot at the Superbowl, so neither 1st rounder will be a top 10 pick. Getting a star pass rusher who will be in his prime for 4-5 years, and can still be above average for a few more years after that, is better than rolling the dice on two late round 1st round picks that may or may not pan out. Most likely, they'll never be elite like Mack. Mack would significantly improve this defense.

Only argument against that would have to be about cap space. Stable QB play can lure free agents, so a team doesn't have to overpay. Paying Mack $20M/year eats a chunk of cap space that could be used for multiple quality free agents.

15. DefenseWinsChampionships

I disagree. Baker Mayfield was just drafted 1st overall and won't be starting from day one. Tyrod Taylor is no Favre or Montana either.

There have only been 33 QB's drafted All-Time within the top 5 and (just to name a few)...

Tim Couch.
    David Carr.
    Ryan Leaf.
    Joey Harrington.
    Akili Smith.

Were all thrown into the fire as day one starters behind crap offensive lines.

How'd that work out?

I'm all for starting Sam from day one.

I'm all for trading Teddy for a potential great pick etc because there have been many success stories of top 5 QB's starting from day one.

But as a fan I'm not going to demand that our coaching staff throw Darnold into the line of fire as a rookie behind a could be catastrophic O-Line all because "he's a top 5 pick" especially when a QB such as Teddy Bridgewater can...

A.) Give our O-Line a chance to gel together early on.

B.) Is a super exciting QB to root for within his own right (Teddy)

&

C.) Can give this 2018 Jets team a real chance to compete.

16. NCJetsfan

My bad, Guess I read your post too quickly. Still, we'll just have to agree to disagree on the wisdom of trading for Mack. While I would absolutely love to have him, and he would definitely significantly improve our D, it's too high a price and is too risky. First and foremost, we have to be able to protect Darnold's blindside. That has to take precedence over adding a stud pass rusher. I'd rather have a stud LT that we know can keep Darnold healthy and upright for the next 10 years and have a lesser pass rush, than have a stud pass rush, and have to worry about losing Darnold at any minute. We could very easily sign Fowler, Clowney or some other edge rusher in FA next year and then add our future LT with our 1st round pick, a great OG prospect, and either a very good RB, WR or additional OL prospect with our 1st and 3rd round picks and the 2nd we get for Teddy.

BudJet, JETS1116 and Red Menace like this.
  17. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

There is zero chance they use the franchise tag on Bridgewater or that he stays after a good season.

And what do you mean by 'this' happening again? 8-11 with one bad pass? Is the standard so freaking high Darnold can't make one bad decision? If anything I'm more fearful about starting Darnold because this offensive line can't block anyone.

18. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

If by some crazy miracle Bridgewater has an elite season and quarterbacks us into the playoffs, we should use the tag. And by this happening again, I mean Darnold not being able to do anything because of the OL. His INT actually wasn't a bad pass, an incompletion is as bad as a turnover on 4th down so he had to force a throw.

19. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I still think Tampa is one Val Valentino performance by Fitzmagic away from trading for Teddy.

20. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

No chance. They'll go back to Winston if that happens.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.