Teddy must be week 1 sttarter

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, Aug 16, 2018.

1. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

It's amazing to me why those here are looking to trade a viable starter in Teddy Bridgewater when the OL is in such a state of flux that would, at any given play, cause serious harm/injury to anyone taking the snaps?

What would Teddy's trade value be at such an early stage? Are we really going to get enough immediate help for this crumbling line?

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

That's fair.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  3. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

They are in desperate need of folding tables.

4. Objectively speaking are we a good football team?Absolutely not.

Are we anywhere close to playoff contention?Again no.

Is Bridgewater here for more than a year?No

So to me that means we are still rebuilding..in which case no short term 1 year prospect is going to stand in the way of long term progress..and that includes draft ammunition. Its all about building a winner..and if thats not this year than guys like Teddy who arent in the long term plans but have trade value are going to get moved to the highest bidder. Its about sacrificing short term for long term & in this case the short term is 6-10 or worse w. Or w.o Teddy.

K'OB likes this.
  5. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

The only reason I would start Teddy week 1 is that whoever QBs the jets this year will get killed behind that POS offensive line. More invested in Sam than Teddy. But, fear not, Mike Mac's 2019 draft will again feature...no offensive lineman.

TwoHeadedMonster and NYJetsO12 like this.
  6. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

You have to make up your mind. Do you want Teddy long term or do you want Darnold to take over half way through the year like Goff did? Do you really want them giving Teddy a 4 year $100M contract extension? What happens when Darnold shows he is ready next season and you are paying another QB $25M a season?

It's easy to make proclamations like "Keep Teddy Long term", as long as you don't have to figure in all the other variables.

Section 336 and K'OB like this.
  7. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

1. We’re probably an average team with teddy playing the way he has and is capable of playing

2. Yes, the afc is not good. Outside of the pats and the Steelers no one is a lock to make the playoffs and a wild card is not out of the question with good qb play.

3. He can be if we want him to be. Thee is nothing stopping us from tagging him at the end of the year and dangling him as trade bait then . We could use the tag and still have north of 60 million to spend on free agency which is more than enough since no one worth spending huge on ever comes loose in free agency.

I think everyone needs to come to grips with the possibility that teddy could very easily be starting qb for the nyj for the entire year. Once the season starts there won’t be qb shuffling without an injury . I

TonyFtLaud, BomberJet and stinkyB like this.
  8. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

> Reasoning .... eh never-mind ...

9. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Sorry but many average players do. Hell, Vince Young made it to the PB with a 51% completion pct, 12 TD and 13 INTS, even Elvis Grbac made a PB

stinkyB likes this.
  10. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

TB is the best QB on the roster right now and it's not close. There is no way he shouldn't start the season if he's on the roster. The AFC is a pretty weak conference this year. Guys like Watson and Luck are coming back from injury. Brady, Ben and Rivers are older than dirt. He's my starter until someone offers us a 2 or a real good player in trade. The Jets are a year or two from being a really good team but the AFC right now is ripe for a decent not great team to sneak into the playoffs.

11. wampa

wampa Well-Known Member

I'm not locked into anyone as the Week 1 starter.

Teddy is looking eerily accurate out there. He hit multiple receivers in the hands last night (week 2 preseason). He deserves a chance with the starters against a first-team defense in one of the remaining preseason games. Let's keep in mind that Darnold also looked a lot better tearing up a backup defense than he did against the Redskins' first-string unit. Even if you're in the camp that wants to use Teddy as trade-bait, in a worst-case scenario it gives you another week to let his stock rise by watching him against a first-team defense. And, I think if you want to consider the QB competition 'fair', you need to give him his shot.

On the other side of things... How many 10+ yard passes have we seen Darnold throw in game situations? A couple against the 2nd/third string in Preseason week 1, but few if any in week 2. That could just be the result of not-open receivers and increased pressure against a solid first-team Redskins dline, I'm not sure. Now, short passing is an essential part of the WCO, but I'd like to see some success at attacking vertically as well on Darnold's part before I felt comfortable putting him in to start Week 1.

#91 wampa, Aug 17, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
    NYJetsO12 likes this.
  12. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Everyone here thinks Josh McGown(a 39 yr old has been) is Sams mentor. Now that we have JM on a 10 million payroll the Front Office will try to make this work..but the guy that can really push Darnold to greatness is Teddy B imo

Mac has to wait for another teams starter to go down BEFORE awe do anything with TB..this way we get top dollar at the horse show

13. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

but it is the Jets. they will trade Bwater for a conditional 7th round pick because they are dumb. Mac is dumb. his trade got lucky but he is not a smart man, he spews the predictable stuff that would expect. they are going to dump Bwater and they will think they are smart for it. Darnold will start halfway thru the season then get hurt because this Mac fool didn't do anything to the oline and then weee its's Obrien all over again. so sick of this song

14. NYJetsO12

Lotsa posters had a thing for Mayfield and he ended up the number one pick..plus he is a solid player who will make it In the NFL

Sorry but we don't need a lecture on economics Charlie Whoever You Are Kelly....even.the Johnsons don't give a hoot about that

15. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

I can agree with this. I wish this was a sport where both guys can be on the field at the same time, because I want to see Teddy succeed. He deserves it and I think he is a damn solid QB. However, if a team came calling and offered up a 2nd rounder for him right now, I'm taking it.

If Teddy is still here come Week 1, it's him or Sam starting. I don't think McCown is getting the start and I think he's okay with it too. Just seems like a really genuine dude.

16. NYJetsO12

Yes..I don't think NC and I essentially disagree with you..it's just the timing of a Bridgewater trade to yield maximum value for the Team..and yes we still remain a top to bottom clunker of a Team

If Teddy starts games and wins a few well then young Sam will sit behind him like Rogers did with Favre etc

This whole controversy with getting our picks BACK via Teddy is disheartening since Our GM has LONG neglected the OL and now it HAS to be fixed...he could have drafted someone else a couple of years ago instead of 2 Safeties back to back smh!!!

tomdeb likes this.
  17. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

hahhahah dude his selection was a farce and widely panned by anyone who knows anything about football....he had 14 TDs and 9 picks.....you think he deserved a Pro bpowl selection? You think Minnesota asked him to throw 14 TDs and 9 picks? He was a resefrve because no one deserved wanted to fly to fuckin hawaii.....lets be real

18. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

You guys realize that Josh Mccown's numbers last year were better than Teddy's "Pro bowl" year right? You also realize we arent winning the SB this year right? So why the fuck would we hold on to Teddy if we can get a draft pick for him?

themorey and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  19. Bricket-head

Bricket-head Active Member

It's feasible we could get a 2nd rounder for him from a desperate team. Is a 2nd rounder worth it to you? I personally don't want to put our rookie QB out there with that flaccid O-line. I'd much rather sacrifice a potential 2nd and have a security blanket QB, that is actually pretty damn good.

20. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

The OL next season will get a facelift....2 maybe 3 different players