The Future at QB

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Aug 17, 2018.

?

[Read the OP for question]

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

This is all hypothetical and not my stance or a prediction so put your soap box away.

If Teddy is traded for an adequate draft pick (3rd or better) and goes on to succeed with that team at the highest level (top 10 QB finishes, makes team a playoff contender and winner, etc), while adversely Darnold never quite makes the next step and his career goes the Matt Leinart way..

would you retrospectively still think trading Teddy was the right decision at the time?

2. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Yes, because the elephant in the room is Teddy's 1 year "prove it" contract.

Aero, Big Cat and Harpua like this.
  3. JetsFanDoc

JetsFanDoc Well-Known Member

It's a no brainer. They just drafted Sam #3 overall. They're clearly all in on him.

Big Cat and Harpua like this.
  4. Matthew_McBride

Matthew_McBride Active Member

To me there is only one advantage of keeping/starting Teddy, and that's more wins in the short term. So, yes, I would trade Teddy in hopes that our future with Sam is brighter.

5. DarrelleRevis.Human?

Based on Teddy's history I think you would have to say "..in hopes that our future with Sam is the same"

Teddy is a proven commodity, the only questions were had his skills diminished any and is he back to full health.
    After last night I think it's safe to dispell both.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  6. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Negative thread. Why even ask that question?

BomberJet and HomeoftheJets like this.
  7. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

8. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

The obvious logical choice is to move teddy for an asset and develop Sam. There is nothing at this juncture that would lead anyone to think keeping Teddy and throwing the requisite starter money at him is the correct decision.

The scenario you bring fourth is the worst case SOJF mentality. If it happens it happens, but we can’t be scared about the situation and must do what’s best for both the present and future.

GQMartin and The Dark Knight like this.
  9. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

Everyone is comparing Ted to Sam forgetting that Ted was a pro Bowl player once. If Sam & Ted were both rookies then I would have to say keep Ted. But since Sam is 4 years younger, I truely feel Sam will be at least as good as Teddy when he is 24. I would like to get what we can for Teddy. Don't rush it, wait for a needy team to come calling. This will elevate his value from a #3 round pick to a 2 or 1 round pick, or a better player package. I think teams have seen enough of Teddy to feel he is ready to play.

K'OB and NCJetsfan like this.
  10. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

It all comes down to this and pretty much only this..... Otherwise, its just a gamble is hoping that he doesn't receive competing offers and he'd sign an extension comparable to what he's making now.... which simply is NOT realistic

and I'm a "Pro-teddy" guy who wanted the JETS to draft him in the first place

NYJetsO12 and RPOZ51 like this.
  11. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Right now Teddy is our best QB IMHO.

Also, if McNown retires next year we have Darnold (ready or not) with zero depth.

Two starting caliber QBs going into nect year is much better than anything we get in round 2 or 3.

If Sam Darnold is starting at the trade deadline the price for Teddy should be a first round pick or a borderline pro bowl player.

With our shaky defense we need depth at QB to stay competitive.

NYJetsO12 and mute like this.
  12. The Dark Knight

The problem with this idea is expecting Teddy to re-sign with the Jets for 2019. That is highly unlikely. I talked about it before, but odds are McCown and Bridgewater won't be on the roster next year. It will be 1. Darnold and then hopefully they sign a solid QB to back him up.

K'OB likes this.
  13. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Mentioning Sam Darnold and Matt Leinart in the same sentence because they both went to USC shows a fundamental lack of understanding who those 2 QBs are.

It’s a silly question and one I will not tolerate. Much less vote on.

Having said that, as much as I love Teddy we have to trade him.

And I hope he goes on to great things and battles Sam in multiple SBs.

#13 Rollo Tomassi, Aug 17, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
    PJ4Ever, K'OB, TrojanPride and 2 others like this.
  14. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

This is the stupidest thread yet on TGG, and that's saying A LOT, what kind of question are you even asking,?

15. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Horrendously scary thread if the NFL comeback player of the year Mr Teddy goes on to win a SB and Sam goes no where... ugh

This is like a bad dream...but upside is when you wake up you realize it was just a dream

I voted that in hindsight trading a good QB for whatever would just NOT be smart ...considering very FEW teams have the luxury of two potential starters

It would be even more disastrous if SD sh*t the bed

16. DarrelleRevis.Human?

Because it's a relevant question to ask.
    Because this is potentially the biggest decision this franchise has ever had to make.
    Lastly, because I don't believe it's as black and white as Teddy is either traded or leaves at the end of the season.

Besides, it's just a question. Everyone can bury their head in sand if they want to but it doesn't change the fact that the Jets are currently in control of the most competent and talented Jets QB since Chad Pennington, it's just unfortunate timing.

My contention is why not attempt to sign Teddy now? Sign Teddy to a 3 year 40mil+/- deal, and name him the 2018 starter. Sam gets to sit and learn which will be beneficial, and now we have time to evaluate a 25 year old Teddy, and rookie Sam as he develops. If teddy would be willing to go for such a contract that's the rough equivalent of an Allen Robinson or Sammy Watkins deal, and I would MUCH rather have good QB than a "not-really-sure-what-I've-got" WR at the same price. That type of deal doesn't force your hand one way or the other and if you wanted to move on from Teddy and he's playing at the same level, easy. Or Sam for that matter, in a Garoppolo-esque type of situation except our starting QB would be 28 instead of 40.

NYJetsO12 and The Dark Knight like this.
  17. The Dark Knight

Yeah, you explained your stance better in this post. You like Teddy and want him to stay. That is fine. No need for negative hypotheticals that include Darnold being compared to Leinart though. The Jets have had QB problems for years, and now they have the opposite version with 2 potential young QB's with starter talent.

Harpua and Red Menace like this.
  18. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I think a better question would be what if teddy turned in to Brees to Sam being our rivers?

How would everyone feel about that?

Harpua and HomeoftheJets like this.
  19. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

.How about looking at it this way....we get rid of Teddy and get an all pro pass rusher or OL with the pick

20. DarrelleRevis.Human?

Matt Leinart is only an analogy for comparison for what can happen, there is no negativity involved. The very essence of a hypothetical question is to absolve oneself of its implications.

Orrrrrr, that 2nd/3rd turns into Mauldin, Amaro, Devin Smith, Geno, Stephen Hill, McDougle, Vlad, Hackenberg... That is if we're using history as a metric.