3 Realities after Redskins game

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by tomdeb, Aug 16, 2018.

1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

The good news is we have the d line and the secondary to get away with a lot of nickel and dime and still be ok v the run.
    O line I think can still be adequate when beachum and winters return.

Pass rush isn’t being cured this year so there’s really no reason to keep hounding on it. It is what it’s been for ever now.

2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

You can't take too much from last night's game. Crowell, Pryor, Beachum, Winters, McClendon, Maye, were all out. Maybe more, but that is what I noticed at the game. So I would not take too much from either side of the ball. I left with what I wanted: Sam and Teddy looked good, and no one got hurt.

3. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

Another over reaction.....Jets haven't given up a TD so far in this preseason. Total of 15 points in 2 games. They must be a top 5 defense...LOL:D

NCJetsfan and The Dark Knight like this.
  4. Matthew_McBride

Matthew_McBride Active Member

Maybe so, but the only thing in my opinion that defines a "successful campaign" is Sam Darnold getting to the point where next year he can carry the team on his back. That's ALL that matters, at least to me.

I don't think we have a realistic shot at the playoffs--I don't think our defense is good enough, nor our offense.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. JetsFanDoc

JetsFanDoc Well-Known Member

I agree its an overreaction for sure. I mean, I think this defense has too much secondary talent to be in the bottom half of the league but I think there is certainly not a high ceiling for this D without a great pass rush, which we all know. So therefore, we are demanding a little more out of our offense at this point, which I don't think is ready at this point. That's why I think the top priority needs to be O-line, because yes of course they need a pass rush but their defense is at least "adequate" right now if they had a very good offense. And with what Darnold should be (knocks on wood) if they build up a very good Oline over the next year or two they can have a very good offense.

6. JetsFanDoc

JetsFanDoc Well-Known Member

I just read this after I posted it and in all honesty, its a little bit "rambling"-like. Sorry, diarrhea of the mouth.

7. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

There is a realistic chance because of the rest of the AFC:
    -Bengals? No.
    -Browns? No.
    -Ravens? Maybe.
    -Steelers? Yes but if Ben gets hurt, who knows?
    -Bills? No.
    -Dolphins? No.
    -Patriots? Yes but if Brady gets hurt, who knows?
    -Colts? Maybe if Luck is healthy.
    -Texans? Maybe if Watson is healthy.
    -Jaguars? Yes. I like the Jaguars. Never know with Bortles though.
    -Titans? Maybe, but Mariota needs to step up.
    -Raiders? Maybe, but they could be a mess.
    -Chiefs? Maybe if Mahomes shows he is as good as advertised.
    -Chargers? Maybe, but plenty of injuries.
    -Broncos? Maybe if Keenum plays well and the D returns to form.

So you look up and down the AFC and there are much more questions than answers.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Very true, but they were vanilla on offense and defense as well. Yet they pretty much run at will and man handled our O. Not too pleased with the amount of bone head penalties, because when it comes to penalties, what we do in preseason we repeat during the season.
    Not too pleased with the preparation.

9. Matthew_McBride

Matthew_McBride Active Member

Sure, but if every fan from those other teams did the same thing, every time it would say "Jets", they would say "Jets? No."

10. Skicats

Skicats Well-Known Member

I thought Darnold played well. The interc epetion was on fourth down and he was hurried to get rid of the ball. If he didn't get rid of the ball quickly he probably gets sacked so it wasn't a bad interception IMO.

westiedog1 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  11. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I can't get too down on the team, but concerns are valid. Pre season is confirming that the paper thin quality of our line will be the Achilles heal of the O. Hard to judge which WR we should keep past the top 4 when the QBs are rushed to throws with the pocket collapsing way too quickly.

12. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

The Jets are still about halfway through their rebuild......I know the drafting of Darnold has caused some of us to kind of lose sight of that but this team is not playoff bound until next year at the earliest. Too many holes still at critical positions. In the meantime just sit back and watch this potential franchise QB blossom. No pressure this year it's house money........

13. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Big picture: We are a bottom of the barrel team with some talented players...remember ONLY the Browns, Colts and G men finished worse than us

Why are we bad ... ??? 1- Clueless HC who can't seem to utilize the talent that Mac gives him and creates a Country Club atmostphere and is more concerned about chemistry than preparing his players for games

2- A Front Office that spent millions on "rebuilding" with selections on Defense that have not entirely panned out eg D Lee L Williams ...you might say Williams has potential to turn things around but I am getting impatient ..Back to back Safeties ..Adams or Maye who is our new "team leader".?

3- A DC Kacy who is absolutely trash ...Bowles does one favor after another covering for him and signing up his SON????

4-OC number 3 who has a lot to prove...Bates is a rookie who might be good for Sam etc but wait till he encounters game time situations with Toilet Bowles...let's see if he can be "diplomatic" with a conservative HC

5 No Offensive Line ,No Pass Rusher.>>>>>..NOT SMART..Many posters here on TGG ..I have said this before ...know more what to do with this Team than the GM and HC.!! Mac gets the edge however as he has come up with a few very good deals e.g. moving up at 3 spot in last draft to get QB ;Getting J Kearse

Now all of a sudden (and by pure luck) the Team strikes gold with Sam...Blow this opportunity CS and I am done here/:/:/:

Bright Side : If we keep Teddy long enough the guy is gonna us games

#53 NYJetsO12, Aug 17, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
    tomdeb likes this.
  14. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Good things:

1. Jets DL looked pretty decent.
    2. Jets have above-average QBs. Two of them.

=================================

Bad, ugly and fucking ugly + bad.

1. Jets D ain't going nowhere with Sharon up the middle.
    2. Jets D ain't going nowhere with this kind of pass rush.
    3. Jets O ain't going nowhere with this OL.

15. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I totally believe you are right on with point number 5. Over half the people on this board could draft better than MikeMac. Drafting FOUR DBs and THREE receivers in the 2017 draft was insane. Drafting two total OL in FOUR drafts and both in round 5 shows me the man does not understand that games are won/lost at the line of scrimmage. Stupid shit. Add a coach who looks asleep every game and you end up in the cellar again of the AFC East. I've seen this movie.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  16. DefenseWinsChampionships

1.) Sam Darnold wasn't injured.
    2.) Teddy Bridgewater wasn't hurt.
    3.) Jets suffered no key injuries.

Those are my 3 realities during a preseason scrimmage.

Sam Hammer likes this.
  17. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

The clock analogy actually works better for the glass half full crowd where the Jets are concerned.

18. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

I could be wrong, but didn't the Colt's and the genius Mara's Giants Finish worse than us? 4 and 3 wins?

NY Jets68 likes this.
  19. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Yes but a healthy Odell Beckham and Andrew Luck will make a huge difference for them..Giants also added S Barkley

100 internets says they both are closer to the top this year Tony

Not saying we wont improve but I have always felt the FO needs to concentrate on the side of the ball thats scoring points rather than stopping them...so now we can build around SDarnold

20. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

So are we a bottom of the barrel team with only some talented players or a bottom of the barrel team because of a clueless HC? Who can't utilize talent? WHAT?