Did Darnold Regress

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Matthew_McBride, Aug 17, 2018.

1. Matthew_McBride

Matthew_McBride Active Member

Real quick: I've been following the Jets my entire life, but became an avid fan starting 2009. I've had a profile but not really used it, but I'm familiar with many of you because I'm on here reading every day, so nice to meet you and onto the subject:

I've read a ton of articles and watched videos and read posts today that Sam Darnold had this poor game, or he's clearly not cut out for Wk 1 of the regular season. For why? He played just as good last night as he did against the Falcons. Against the Falcons he had a near pick on a WR screen, and last night he had an actual pick.

The difference? Last night it was 4th and 1, and on 4th and 1 if you don't have a great option, you throw it anyways, you do anything you have to. I've read "he should have thrown it away" or been more cafeful. NO, not on 4th and 1, you are going to turn it over anyways, it's coming, so might as well sling it and hope for the best. In a real game, we kick a field goal there, but even in a real game, you have to take a shot and it was a poor playcall (run it?). His passer rating was 48.3 last night, but if he throws that ball out of bounds instead of trynig to complete it, his passer rating is 82<<that's my point, he made the right decision but is getting burned for it.

Anyways, I thought he looked just as composed, especially with the poor o-line play (hopefully due to injuries). Glad to finally join y'all and looking forward to Sam starting week 1.

2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Not sure anyone is killing him for the int. It was a heads up play by the db, on 4th and a bad play call to boot.
    Bowles even took the heat for it and absolved Sam.
    Saw cimini make a comment about turning it over in the red zone but he ignores it was 4th down so it was a dumb comment.
    All and all I thought Sam played as well as he could with what he was given. He has command of the o, makes the right reads and looks very comfortable.

3. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I was there. Sam looked really good. He was better than last week because he was going up against starters. I was really impressed with him. He is truly beyond his years and will only get better. He only had 3 drives if I remember correctly. Definitely a solid start and hopefully he gets better protection from the O-line against the Giants. That will be tough.

4. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I don't think guys can "regress" from having a half a preseason game's worth of experience...

5. Matthew_McBride

Matthew_McBride Active Member

I agree, but that's how everyone has been talking and the media has spun it. And now the "start Teddy" fans are coming out in droves as if something has changed suddenly. I don't think it has.

6. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

This is the pre season the time for everyone to learn....including coaches. Maybe Bowles will learn to take the points...& Bates will learn better how to attack 4th & 1. I agree there are times to go for it on 4th down in a real game...live & learn. As far as the question, DID SAM REGRESS, I say absolutely not. I think Bates has to open up the playbook for Sam, take a few shots down field. I don't think our TE's & WR didn't give Sam many options. You can see he looked at them & just hit the check down. Leggett played but did nothing. I like what I heard in post game ESPN when they annalized Sam. They are very high on him & said nothing about him regressing.

7. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I saw a comment by Darryl Slater this morning saying we lost 3 points. Beatwriters often have no clue. I would much rather have a QB try to make a play on 4th down than worry about his stats. Often times we see Qbs are afraid to try to risk an INT in a situation like that or in a hail mary situation as it affects their QB rating. Ignorant beat writers do not help. Nice to see Darnold put the team ahead of his stats on that play.

K'OB, Brook!, FJF and 1 other person like this.
  8. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

They say Sam doesn't make the same mistake twice. Notice how it took just one game to teach him to get in & out of the huddle faster. I like the comment Sam made that he knew the play Bates was going to call before he heard the call.

Brook!, themorey and FJF like this.
  9. quazeye

quazeye New Member

He has looked relatively sharp in both games. My issue with him is he doesn't push the ball down the field AT ALL. I don't know if its the game plan, his lack of confidence in protection, or what the problem is, but his average depth of target is very low. And that is a bit concerning for me.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  10. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

That's why it's best to ignore idiots ;)

11. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I'd say the game plans and playing it safe. Probably given those instructions. I agree though, I wish the Jets would have aired it out more last night. Not a big deal though or an issue yet.

12. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

my suggestion is to judge what you see based off your own eyes and not Cimini and the media because they tend to really overreact and you can tell by the reaction by some on this board... btw there has always been 'start teddy' fans

13. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

The only player who regressed last night was Mrs Lee and hell I had no clue he could get any worse ! honorable mention ... Stewart

legler82, themorey and Red Menace like this.
  14. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I should have known this place was going to be unbearable today.

K'OB, themorey and FJF like this.
  15. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

16. NotSatoshiNakamoto

[​IMG]

themorey, Noam, FJF and 1 other person like this.
  17. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

It was 4th and 1, So throw it away, take the sack, or throw a pick into double coverage, same result.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  18. Jetsfansince95

If anyone watched the game they would see that his reads in the pocket are majestic he scans the entire field and finds the open guy ...

PS he had a total of 15 seconds last night to throw the ball ...

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  19. Jetsfansince95

Well if he throws it away and we make the FG we win the game :)

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I was talking about a different play. I don't recall the down and distance but he was immediately flushed out of the pocket and under pressure. Everyone was covered and he just chucked it oob. Simple little things like that add up for rookie QB points.

I thought the 4th and 1 play was fine. I'd much rather see him try to force something in that spot than take a sack or throw it away. It was the right decision.

legler82 and All Gas No Shake like this.